App for registering for a drawing/give-away

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited November 16, 2010 in Weddings
I'm going to post this in "Weddings" because I know most wedding togs go to Bridal Shows. If this isn't the right place, then please move to the appropriate place. :D

I am looking for an iPod (I don't have an iPad..... yet) app that will allow people visiting your booth (at a trade show, bridal show, etc...) to register for a giveaway. If I could capture Name, e-mail, and phone that would be great!

(I really need an iPad!!)

If there's a program available for a PC, then I can just let them use my laptop (but laptops are so boring!) to register.

Thank you :)

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I'm going to post this in "Weddings" because I know most wedding togs go to Bridal Shows. If this isn't the right place, then please move to the appropriate place. :D

I am looking for an iPod (I don't have an iPad..... yet) app that will allow people visiting your booth (at a trade show, bridal show, etc...) to register for a giveaway. If I could capture Name, e-mail, and phone that would be great!

(I really need an iPad!!)

If there's a program available for a PC, then I can just let them use my laptop (but laptops are so boring!) to register.

Thank you :)

I DO have an iPad but have never seen such an app. If one exists, I'd LOVE to have it for the trade show I'm going to in January.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I don't know what I would do if I were you. It looks like you want to hand a device to a client to have them fill out some stuff. If I were a client, I would want to be handed an iPad, or a laptop, or an iPod, in that order. I think the iPod would be a little small for this purpose. So what I would do is use your laptop. Why not an iPad? They're not very good yet IMHO. Wait till the 3rd gen comes out, then buy a 2nd gen ;~). It'll be cheaper and better: probably card slots and USB slot(s) without adapters. Then you can use it for photography purposes too like tethered shooting, processing, uploading, Photoshop, stuff like that. The 2nd gen will be a lot improved I think. Just take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a PC.deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    I don't know what I would do if I were you. It looks like you want to hand a device to a client to have them fill out some stuff. If I were a client, I would want to be handed an iPad, or a laptop, or an iPod, in that order. I think the iPod would be a little small for this purpose. So what I would do is use your laptop. Why not an iPad? They're not very good yet IMHO. Wait till the 3rd gen comes out, then buy a 2nd gen ;~). It'll be cheaper and better: probably card slots and USB slot(s) without adapters. Then you can use it for photography purposes too like tethered shooting, processing, uploading, Photoshop, stuff like that. The 2nd gen will be a lot improved I think. Just take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a PC.deal.gifrolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif:)

Well, I'm a Hybrid! (I use an iPod, but I have 3 PCs)

Is there any "Apps" (software!) for the PC that would run something like this on a laptop?

Of course I could do a spreadsheet, but that would be a little confusing. They need something that would prompt them and walk them through step-by-step.
    edited November 15, 2010
    Basically, some kind of script would due. PHP based?
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    What about just using a Google form to collect their info and then use a random number generator site to pull the winning entry number?
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
    edited November 16, 2010
    What about just using a Google form to collect their info and then use a random number generator site to pull the winning entry number?

Probably because I've never really used Google Docs and was unaware that you could do such a thing. :D

Have you done this before?

Can you please provide an example?

Thank you.
    Neal
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Google Forms are just a way of entering data in to a spreadsheet via an easy to use form. So you could use any contact form, really, and just have random.org chose a random number for you and use the entry with that number. I've never done it before because I don't do bridal shows nor do giveaways/contests/drawings, so I can't show an example. But it works well in my mind. Just create a google account, if you are crazy not to have made one already, and then go under google docs and create a form. It's pretty easy.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
    edited November 16, 2010
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Your over thinking this.

Pencil and paper.........has a long history of success.

Sam
    edited November 16, 2010
    Sam: If I can have the brides enter their names into a spreadsheet for me, then that means that I don't have to. :D

Tell you what. I'll do the paper solution if you come over and do the database entry for me.
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2010
    Sam: If I can have the brides enter their names into a spreadsheet for me, then that means that I don't have to. :D

Tell you what. I'll do the paper solution if you come over and do the database entry for me.

Don't most bridal shows provide contact info for all brides in a spreadsheet?
    edited November 16, 2010
    Don't most bridal shows provide contact info for all brides in a spreadsheet?

Yes, they do, but then how do you identify which of those brides actually stopped at your booth?

I am going to have a "booth drawing". Meaning that I will have a drawing for a prize/prizes that will only be awarded to those that dropped by my booth.

But, I am also asking this question not specifically for bridal shows. I only posted it here in weddings because I figured that most wedding photographers would encounter something like this and would have the answer I am looking for.

I think the Google Docs solution will work for my needs.