For those of you that offer iPad packages

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited September 17, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Just curious...

I've heard of some people that are offering iPad packages with portraits/weddings (example: Book my "A" package and receive a free iPad loaded with your wedding images). How do you go about doing that? Wouldn't the iPad be erased when they try connecting it to their computer after the initial sync with yours??

Thank you :)

Comments

• run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    If you sync an iDevice to a second computer, the only things that would be erased automatically would be music and anything iBooks. Settings, photos, contacts, etc. should all remain intact.

A possible plan could be to activate the new iPad at an Apple store (they will do this if you ask). If you ask very nicely, perhaps they could preload one photo album for you that you happen to have on a USB drive. It's worh a shot.
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I like this idea of using the iPad, but how do you make it work for you? I mean, why doesn't the couple just go buy an iPad and load their own images on it?

If I gotta spend $500 on a basic iPad, then I need to raise my package prices by at least that to stay ahead. Otherwise it cuts into my margin. headscratch.gif

How are ya'll doing?
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    bike21 wrote: »
    I like this idea of using the iPad, but how do you make it work for you? I mean, why doesn't the couple just go buy an iPad and load their own images on it?

If I gotta spend $500 on a basic iPad, then I need to raise my package prices by at least that to stay ahead. Otherwise it cuts into my margin. headscratch.gif

How are ya'll doing?

You don't necessarily have to raise the price of your top package by $500 (or at all for that matter, depending on your profit margin for each package). I think the assumption is that the addition of the ipad will result in more people choosing your top package, when they otherwise would have gone with a middle package. Here's an example. Note that I'm not a professional photographer, so this is all hypothetical...

Without ipad
    Package A ($1000); $500 profit * 6 customers = $3000
    Package B ($2500); $1500 profit * 3 customers = $4500
    Package C ($4000); $2500 profit * 1 customer = $2500
    Total profit = $10,000

With ipad
    Package A ($1000); $500 profit * 6 customers = $3000
    Package B ($2500); $1500 profit * 1 customers = $1500
    Package C ($4000); $2000 profit * 3 customer = $6000
    Total profit = $10,500

So, you've kept prices the same, but the addition of an ipad results in two couples choosing Package C when they otherwise would have chosen Package B. Your total profit increased by $500.

Another result of offering an ipad could be a couple choosing you over another photographer, because they think the ipad is a totally awesome idea (this is probably more likely given the price difference between Package B and Package C). That's straight up profit right there...

Of course, this is all hypothetical, but it's just an example of how lowering your margin on your top package by adding an very cool gadget can actually result in more total profits (assuming you either get more customers, or convert enough from Package B to Package C).
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    I agree with Picker. You only offer the iPad on your top package and then use it to entice people to select that package.