My Obsession with Raptors

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited August 10, 2005 in Wildlife
Has finally paid off a little, and where else just down the street from home :rolleyes :D
American Kestrel Hawk.

31314996-L.jpg

31315160-L.jpg

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Nice shots Ben, but I think it's a kestrel.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Has finally paid off a little, and where else just down the street from home rolleyes1.gif:D.....ne_nau.gif
    Ya travel all over to get nice pics and bingo there's one right there at the start.rolleyes1.gif Reminds me of my first dragon.
    Looks like he spotted you. Good catch. I love his expression in the first one.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Nice shots Ben, but I think it's a kestrel.

Thanks Dave and right you are !!
    I looked it up American Kestrel it is (formerly known as Sparrow Hawk)
    thanks for looking and giving me the right species :D
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Gosh, Ben, they are coming to you! Did you learn to call?

Is this bird a bit soft, and I hate to even ask as sensitive as I am. But if it is there is an article on high pass that does wonders. Probably in search here, the "article" is really a dgrin tutorial.

Maybe it is just backlit, and I do have my monitor to deal with. (If I ever saw one of those in my "backyard", I think I would start praying. I might pray, but only small birds in my backyard.) Now around the corner, way last fall.........egrets and herons. I should go shoot the raptors before leaving town. Am afraid that I will come back after long weekend to find nothing.

Anyone in the Charlotte area want to meet? Please let me know soon, would have to change travel plans.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Great Shots. I like the expression on the first one as well. clap.gifthumb
    edited August 8, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    Ya travel all over to get nice pics and bingo there's one right there at the start.rolleyes1.gif Reminds me of my first dragon.
    Looks like he spotted you. Good catch. I love his expression in the first one.
    AL
    Afternoon Al
    Yeah I've gotten in the habit of keeping camera at the ready until I drive up my driveway these days :D
    edited August 8, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gosh, Ben, they are coming to you! Did you learn to call?

Is this bird a bit soft, and I hate to even ask as sensitive as I am. But if it is there is an article on high pass that does wonders. Probably in search here, the "article" is really a dgrin tutorial.

Maybe it is just backlit, and I do have my monitor to deal with. (If I ever saw one of those in my "backyard", I think I would start praying. I might pray, but only small birds in my backyard.) Now around the corner, way last fall.........egrets and herons. I should go shoot the raptors before leaving town. Am afraid that I will come back after long weekend to find nothing.

Anyone in the Charlotte area want to meet? Please let me know soon, would have to change travel plans.

ginger
    Afternoon Ginger
    Soft don't think so, I'll check again
    Backlight, tough light for sure, had to use a lot of + EV and some more in post to get out eyes and detail !!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Now I'm impressed Ben. You have low light and a backlit subject and you managed to get a good capture of a sparrow hawk. clap.gif

You hit the ev adjustment on the mark and used a higher ISO to keep your shutter speed up. I might have gone with 400 ISO and a opened up the aperture to 4.0. Either way you got a fine capture under adverse shooting conditions. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited August 9, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Great Shots. I like the expression on the first one as well. clap.gifthumb

Morning Steve and Thank you
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    now why do we not have 18 shots MR. Machine Gun headscratch.gifne_nau.gif you getting a little slow or do you miss the competion :D very nice all thing come to he who waits ---
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 9, 2005
    Very nice Ben thumb.gifthumb.gif

I agree with Harry's thoughts also. Tough little subjects to nail, especially when backlit and ya dun good partner clap.gif

These little fellas are sooooooo cute too. With the diamonds on their chests and their fine feathers they make outstanding subjects. They are usually pretty hard to come by. If you've found a spot where they seem to hang out, you are one lucky dewd :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited August 9, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Now I'm impressed Ben. You have low light and a backlit subject and you managed to get a good capture of a sparrow hawk. clap.gif

You hit the ev adjustment on the mark and used a higher ISO to keep your shutter speed up. I might have gone with 400 ISO and a opened up the aperture to 4.0. Either way you got a fine capture under adverse shooting conditions. thumb.gif

Evening Harry
    If your impressed I'm overjoyed clap.gif
    couldn't go to F4 had my new TC on board.
    Finally figured out why it didn't show, cause when you use Nikon transfer an check IPTC info the scripts acts on that info.
    I've fixed it so it will show proper data from now on.
    edited August 10, 2005
    Ben, just needed to say that I decided that bird could not be out of focus, that was weeks ago, or it feels like it. Maybe yesterday???

ginger
    edited August 10, 2005
    Very nice Ben thumb.gifthumb.gif

I agree with Harry's thoughts also. Tough little subjects to nail, especially when backlit and ya dun good partner clap.gif

These little fellas are sooooooo cute too. With the diamonds on their chests and their fine feathers they make outstanding subjects. They are usually pretty hard to come by. If you've found a spot where they seem to hang out, you are one lucky dewd :):

Steve
    Thanks Steve
    Lucky and not I know where he hunts but unfortunately it's LAX adjacent full of security fences and cops and they seem leary of guys with cameras umph.gif :uhoh
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Nice birds, Ben. ...and I have to settle on getting pics of lowly seagulls. ne_nau.gif

31639804-L.jpg

31639808-L.jpg

...and a goose on the hoof.

31640193-L.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
    edited August 10, 2005
    Nice seagull, Dixie! And as per your usual shots it is very crisp and sharp. I was thinking of you the other day, maybe yesterday, when I was trying to do my stuff.

It is really difficult for me to get the same amt of crispness you get. Ben does not have it either, as initially I thought his backlit shot was soft, which it is not.

You do yours very well, Dixie. I did see someone post some scenics, I thought they were gorgeous, as crisp as yours, if not more so. I admired them excessively, then I thought, hey, those mtns look fake, maybe this is PS product. Going on, I saw the mtns in diff forms enough that I knew that the mtns were real in all shots. So I thought maybe the ones that were that crisp were just from sharpening. It was very good, if it was the sharpening. I saw no signs of that, but it looked like things had been cut with scissors. The ones I liked best had ripples in the reflections, an indication to me that the shot was "real".

Dixie, you go in that direction, but you don't overdo it. I wish I could just whip those out, or even put them out as wanted............don't have the secret yet. Yours are right on.

Yup, very nice gull bird! Nice expression you got, too.

ginger
    edited August 10, 2005
    Ben, the TC does cut your light one stop, so the higher number is accurate, as far as I know.

I have been living with that number since putting the TC on. Whatever it is, it is as open as it is going to get. I have taken it off because of that, so the lens can focus in low light. (That was a day when my brain was actually working.)

That is very good shooting, though. They hang out at the airport? I understand there is a place right next to a huge shopping center, next to a theater where a bunch of birds hang out. It is not close, I should go there, though. Since I can get birds elsewhere, it just kind of feels funny to think of walking around the movie theater is a stalking stance.

I don't know why the cameras would make the LAX security nervous........actually, it would be a good diversionary tactic. I was watching a TV news segment last night, so I am thinking a bit too much, sorry. I would hang out at the airport, or near it, too, or at the mall with the movie theater, if there were raptors going back and forth. Flying in and out, like the big "birds".

They could post flight times. Wonder if they would be close to accurate.

g (the birds roost at Magnolia, but these "flight lines" they are like my connector/bridge climb. That is a flyover area for the birds, and I have gotten some of my best shots there. I am not going back, just too old! Depressing.)

ginger
    edited August 10, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    now why do we not have 18 shots MR. Machine Gun headscratch.gifne_nau.gif you getting a little slow or do you miss the competion :D very nice all thing come to he who waits ---

the truth be known, Yeah I miss the comp, but don't count on me be any slower........I'll have you know I still have turned the machine Gun from Low to High!!! :D
    edited August 10, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Nice birds, Ben. ...and I have to settle on getting pics of lowly seagulls. ne_nau.gif

31639804-S.jpg

31639808-S.jpg

...and a goose on the hoof.

31640193-S.jpg

If your looking for sympathy ya came to the wrong joint rolleyes1.gif

Smoky Mtns, Yosemity and on and on ......... you best be showing us some eagles buddy :lol4 :D

Besides that 1st is a keeper and one of those good looking gulls thumb.gif even if you clip his wing :nono :D
    edited August 10, 2005
    Wings? I was looking at the "face" and the expression.

g (what is a wing or so when going after expression, or so.........hehe):D
    edited August 10, 2005
    Thanks, Ben. First time I've heard a gull called good looking. :D

Maybe some eagles while I'm out at Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks the end of this month and into September.

bfjr wrote:
    If your looking for sympathy ya came to the wrong joint rolleyes1.gif

Smoky Mtns, Yosemity and on and on ......... you best be showing us some eagles buddy :lol4 :D

Besides that 1st is a keeper and one of those good looking gulls thumb.gif even if you clip his wing :nono :D
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    edited August 10, 2005
    Ginger, to answer your comments on the sharpening - I use the Unsharp Mask and keep it gentle.

ginger_55 wrote:
    Wings? I was looking at the "face" and the expression.

g (what is a wing or so when going after expression, or so.........hehe):D
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited August 10, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Thanks, Ben. First time I've heard a gull called good looking. :D

Maybe some eagles while I'm out at Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks the end of this month and into September.
    Will be looking forward to it !! :D