Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Nicely done and very useful tuts.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Spent an hour browsing your site.

BRAVO!!!
    clap.gif
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011

I just finished another Lightroom Video Tutorial on Filters:

Lightroom 3: Filters Panel Explained

Best,
    Jay
    edited January 19, 2011
    Speed up your workflow in Lightroom by launching Photoshop Actions using Droplets. I use it constantly and I highly recommend you try it out icon_smile.gif

Lightroom 3: Droplets

Best,
    Jay
    edited January 26, 2011
    New Video Tutorial. In this quick video tutorial we will go over teeth whitening.

Teeth Whitening in Lightroom 3

Best,
    Jay
    edited February 3, 2011
    In this New Adobe Lightroom 3 video tutorial 3-part series, we will go over a ton of portrait editing techniques including, spot removal, skin smoothing, eye enhancing, cropping, virtual copies, history palette, creating a custom BW preset and more.....

http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/?p=2106

If you have any questions please just fire away here or under the video clips there is a comment area.
    Thanks,
    Jay
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    In this New Adobe Lightroom 3 video tutorial 3-part series, we will go over a ton of portrait editing techniques including, spot removal, skin smoothing, eye enhancing, cropping, virtual copies, history palette, creating a custom BW preset and more.....

Lightroom 3: Portrait Editing Layla - Part 1 of 3

If you have any questions please just fire away here or under the video clips there is a comment area.
    Thanks,
    Jay

The link isn't working...
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
    edited February 4, 2011
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    awesome set of resources, thank you!!
    //Leah
    edited February 15, 2011
    You welcome Catspaw :)

Ready to start Printing??? Lightroom 3: Printing and the Print Module explained is now ready for viewing :) Part 1,2, and 3.

Lightroom 3: Printing and the Print Module Explained *NEW*

Best,
    Jay
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Wow... My new best friend. Thank you. I also can't wait to dig into the Photoshop tuts.

I appreciate the efforts.

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
    edited February 17, 2011
    Right-on :) Thank you for the comments!!

Best,
    Jay
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Handy! I just looked at one of your tutorials. I've never had a copy of LR before, except a Beta version of LR 3 that I never had time to try. So... I just downloaded the trial version of LR 3 & am wondering if there's anything at all different about the trial version? Will I be able to use it just as if it were the real thing? Couldn't find out anywhere....
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011

[..]

Will I be able to use it just as if it were the real thing?

Yes.

Anthony.
    edited February 25, 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys ;)

Hows your trial experience going?

Best,
    Jay
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys ;)

Hows your trial experience going?

Best,
    Jay
    Mine is going so-so. I think I'll like LR, eventually. (I've never used a Pieware program, or a database type of program, only Photoshop; CS 2 & CS 4. I never used Bridge, & 4 is still feeling new.) I've only used the PS portions of CS, nothing else. And I'm not a quick learner of new programs. I tend to focus in on the details & have a hard time getting the overall picture; I just don't understand yet how LR is "thinking", and am frustrated whenever there are too many ways to do one thing. I guess I need the absolute quick-start instruction. With almost any changes or additions I make to something in LR, I'm not clear on which files or folders it's applying to; there are so many ways to highlight something & many places it's showing up: Center of screen, upper left, lower filmstrip--- all gets confusing.

Your videos are immensely helpful though, and they're short enough that I can watch one or even watch it twice. Then I'll go back & try to have the video open at the same time as LR, & stop the video in certain places so I can try stuff. I should also watch them & take notes. I don't know if you can do anything about resolution in future vids, but one problem I have is that the normal or slightly larger mode aren't large enough to easily see what the words on the screen are saying, or to see your mouse pointer. If I switch to full-screen, it's pretty fuzzy. Everyone's tutorial vids seem to have this problem though, so maybe it's something you can't change. I find too too that I'm at such a basic level with general comfort in getting around a new program that I'm a little in over my head.

What I'm finding very confusing in LR are the following things:

1. The differences in selecting files, putting a check-mark on files, or putting files in a quick collection. (that last part happens w/ me not knowing how/why.)

2. The gazillions of options in all the menus, and not knowing what they do or why I should or should not choose them.

3. How or when changes getting made to a file are really getting made, and to where.

4. The difference between syncing (I've found 2 different types of syncing in LR, so they should have used 2 different wordings) and copying/pasting .... probably my biggest use for LR is going to be taking what color/lighting corrections I've done to one file & adding them to another file, or a whole group of files, so this is going to be critical.

5. I've gotten LR to recognize all my SmugMug galleries, etc. & am logged in, but can't figure out any way to actually export anything to SmugMug, or perhaps what they call "Publish". I fished all over the place & got nowhere.

Having said all this, I don't have a manual or instructional book yet, so these will hopefully help. I just put some in my Amazon cart but have to make some final choices. I wish there was a book on using Photoshop 4 & LR 3 together, but of course there's not. The other thing that will help is if I can finally choose an organizational method & start implementing it. I still haven't decided whether to go with a mostly chronological (date-based) method or not. Krogh, in the DAM book, gives so many reasons why NOT to go this way.... so, I dunno. Until I do that, it's hard to be confident about having LR create folders, etc. since I don't know what to tell it to call them. But, well... one step at a time... aaaargh!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited February 25, 2011
    Mine is going so-so. I think I'll like LR, eventually. (I've never used a Pieware program, or a database type of program, only Photoshop; CS 2 & CS 4. I never used Bridge, & 4 is still feeling new.) I've only used the PS portions of CS, nothing else. And I'm not a quick learner of new programs. I tend to focus in on the details & have a hard time getting the overall picture; I just don't understand yet how LR is "thinking", and am frustrated whenever there are too many ways to do one thing. I guess I need the absolute quick-start instruction. With almost any changes or additions I make to something in LR, I'm not clear on which files or folders it's applying to; there are so many ways to highlight something & many places it's showing up: Center of screen, upper left, lower filmstrip--- all gets confusing.

Your videos are immensely helpful though, and they're short enough that I can watch one or even watch it twice. Then I'll go back & try to have the video open at the same time as LR, & stop the video in certain places so I can try stuff. I should also watch them & take notes. I don't know if you can do anything about resolution in future vids, but one problem I have is that the normal or slightly larger mode aren't large enough to easily see what the words on the screen are saying, or to see your mouse pointer. If I switch to full-screen, it's pretty fuzzy. Everyone's tutorial vids seem to have this problem though, so maybe it's something you can't change. I find too too that I'm at such a basic level with general comfort in getting around a new program that I'm a little in over my head.

What I'm finding very confusing in LR are the following things:

1. The differences in selecting files, putting a check-mark on files, or putting files in a quick collection. (that last part happens w/ me not knowing how/why.)

2. The gazillions of options in all the menus, and not knowing what they do or why I should or should not choose them.

3. How or when changes getting made to a file are really getting made, and to where.

4. The difference between syncing (I've found 2 different types of syncing in LR, so they should have used 2 different wordings) and copying/pasting .... probably my biggest use for LR is going to be taking what color/lighting corrections I've done to one file & adding them to another file, or a whole group of files, so this is going to be critical.

5. I've gotten LR to recognize all my SmugMug galleries, etc. & am logged in, but can't figure out any way to actually export anything to SmugMug, or perhaps what they call "Publish". I fished all over the place & got nowhere.

Having said all this, I don't have a manual or instructional book yet, so these will hopefully help. I just put some in my Amazon cart but have to make some final choices. I wish there was a book on using Photoshop 4 & LR 3 together, but of course there's not. The other thing that will help is if I can finally choose an organizational method & start implementing it. I still haven't decided whether to go with a mostly chronological (date-based) method or not. Krogh, in the DAM book, gives so many reasons why NOT to go this way.... so, I dunno. Until I do that, it's hard to be confident about having LR create folders, etc. since I don't know what to tell it to call them. But, well... one step at a time... aaaargh!

Well, Based on the sounds of this you are off to a great start!! Lightroom is Very powerful just like photoshop, so inevitable there is going to be 5 ways to do everything. Everybody learns differently and my tutorials on lightroom tend to lean towards intermediate.

What I recommend is just keep it simple. Do your basic tasks and then branch out here and there as you get comfortable. Then if you don't know something that you really need to know, do a google on it. If you can't find it, ask here.

The quick collection issue is an easy fix! There is a little circle on the top right of the thumbnail image in Library mode. Hover over it and you will see it light up. Your accidentally clicking that. I've done it a million times.

As far as organizing your photos goes. I decided years ago the only way that works for me is by year. I have a monster database in lightroom with all sorts of hard drives hooked up. 1 of the external drives is on my Network and all my older photos are categorized by year. The folder structure looks like this:

Pictures> 2006> 022306> birthday.jpg

Pictures being the master folder, A 2006 folder within the pictures folder, A 022306 folder within the 2006 folder for that specific date, then within that folder the image birthday.jpeg itself.

I hope that helps,
    Jay
    edited May 4, 2011
    I just finished a new 30+ minute video tutorial on developing raw images in Lightroom 3 ;)

Lightroom 3: Developing Raw Images*NEW*
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    I just finished a new 30+ minute video tutorial on developing raw images in Lightroom 3 ;)

Lightroom 3: Developing Raw Images*NEW*

Awesome! I'll have to check it out soon. I've yet to use LR3 only because I have no time to learn new things... :(
    edited May 5, 2011
    edited May 16, 2011
    New requested Tutorial:

Sharpening in Adobe Lightroom 3 is much more powerful than previous versions and in this video tutorial I will walk you through the process.

Lightroom 3: Sharpening Explained

Best,
    Jay
    edited July 14, 2011
    Lightroom 3: Developing Photos - Episode #2
    In this Lightroom 3 video tutorial I will take you through developing a really nice flower image I took a while back with the Canon 5D Mark II and the Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS Lens. We will go over several techniques and tricks of the trade when it comes to utilizing the power of Lightroom 3.

Lightroom 3: Developing Photos - Episode #2 | JHPVideoTutorials.com

MG_33321-300x157.jpg

Best,
    Jay