Options

Baby Speckled Bush Crickets

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited May 20, 2016 in Holy Macro
I was looking for ladybird eggs and I happened to glance down at a leaf on our Bryony plant. These two characters were side by side facing me. They were of aphid size, some 2-3mm long. I fetched my camera but that shot was lost.

I set the FOV for the two as they then were and did not reset it for individual shots, so there has been significant cropping. The very shiny leaf in the first image required the highlights and whites to be strongly toned down. It seems that the main flash did not fire for the third image due to the battery being drained.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm at f16, ISO 800, twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

1301786.jpg?ts=1463724461

1301787.jpg?ts=1463724461

1301788.jpg?ts=1463724461

1301789.jpg?ts=1463724461

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited May 20, 2016
    Great shots! Cute little things they are. Those antennae are huge!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    Lovely captures of these cute bugs
    Brian V.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    Really nice!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Really nice!

Thanks.

I found one again today so watch out for a really close shot!

Harold
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    So an OMD EM-1 with a Kiron 105 macro? Very nice indeed! While I never take time for it I love the amazingness of Macro photography.... tell me please... how do you have your flash to provide the light? Do you always hand hold it or do you have an attached system....? The lighting of these is what gets me..... Great shots, these are really cool!
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2016
    Wiren wrote: »
    So an OMD EM-1 with a Kiron 105 macro? Very nice indeed! While I never take time for it I love the amazingness of Macro photography.... tell me please... how do you have your flash to provide the light? Do you always hand hold it or do you have an attached system....? The lighting of these is what gets me..... Great shots, these are really cool!

Thanks. This is my basic portable system. The main (debatable) flash is up on a ball joint on an L-bracket (bolted to the camera base plate), pointed down at about 45 degrees towards the lens axis. It has a kit, box-type diffuser. In theory, the second flash is on a straight arm, attached to a tripod thread on the lens adapter, the arm out at an angle and the gun angled towards the lens axis. It has two layers of polystyrene-like wrapping plastic as diffuser. In practice, I mostly hold it in my left hand which is supporting the front of the lens. I argue that flash from two sides does much the same as the highly-diffused single units preferred by many macro shooters.

I sometimes, subject permitting, stand one or more guns on the ground/table and may add a third one. The mushroom shot, I took today and to be posted shortly, had two freestanding and one on the L-bracket.

All flash is TTL metered and remote controlled via a control unit on the hot shoe.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/780820/25#13097146

Harold
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Thanks. This is my basic portable system. The main (debatable) flash is up on a ball joint on an L-bracket (bolted to the camera base plate), pointed down at about 45 degrees towards the lens axis. It has a kit, box-type diffuser. In theory, the second flash is on a straight arm, attached to a tripod thread on the lens adapter, the arm out at an angle and the gun angled towards the lens axis. It has two layers of polystyrene-like wrapping plastic as diffuser. In practice, I mostly hold it in my left hand which is supporting the front of the lens. I argue that flash from two sides does much the same as the highly-diffused single units preferred by many macro shooters.

I sometimes, subject permitting, stand one or more guns on the ground/table and may add a third one. The mushroom shot, I took today and to be posted shortly, had two freestanding and one on the L-bracket.

All flash is TTL metered and remote controlled via a control unit on the hot shoe.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/780820/25#13097146

Harold

That is sick. I am glad to see that you have an Oly set up for use this way... as I said earlier, I don't currently shoot macro.. but have been doing landscape, portraits and currently Sports Action with my EM-1... just moved up from an E-3.

Really like the flash set up....very cool.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2016
    Wiren wrote: »
    That is sick. I am glad to see that you have an Oly set up for use this way... as I said earlier, I don't currently shoot macro.. but have been doing landscape, portraits and currently Sports Action with my EM-1... just moved up from an E-3.

Really like the flash set up....very cool.

This was a progression from a similar setup with film and my OM4 but there was no RC for flash, all cords.

Harold