Options

Oh wow

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited May 22, 2016 in Holy Macro
The last time I had a beautiful demoiselle damselfly in the garden was 8 years ago - a long wait but well worth it. They are just breathtakingly beautiful. I gather this is an immature male - the wings should turn turquoise/blue in time.
All shots 600D/ sigma 105 OS handheld. Some have been focus stacked. The damselfly has still been around the garden every day since.
Brian V.

26510313644_8c9a50a9fe_o.jpg

2 shot panorama
26510313664_60eae6e243_b.jpg

26510313684_e7b88ab0d6_o.jpg

It then very kindly flew off and landed on one of my bonsai acers by the pond
27109780506_eba3423434_o.jpg

27109780566_59211ba8e4_o.jpg

27109780576_e620488d61_o.jpg

27109780586_c97148bd4e_o.jpg

I eventually spooked it again and it went off to ask a few garden regulars who this mad photographer was.
27143334045_3dced0e8fb_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    Oh Wow is right Brian!! Some amazing shots!
    How long did you have to chase it? I mean so many shots....even if it was in posing mood, you must have chased it for a while....
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    I agree with Taz... These are excellent, I like #3 the best.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    Brian,

An excellent set.

It's always a treat when these visit. It is vary rare for us, even though we can see the river from our upstairs window. It is even more unusual for them to hang around.

I love the last frame. A definite one-off.

Harold
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Oh Wow is right Brian!! Some amazing shots!
    How long did you have to chase it? I mean so many shots....even if it was in posing mood, you must have chased it for a while....
    Wiren wrote: »
    I agree with Taz... These are excellent, I like #3 the best.
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Brian,

An excellent set.

It's always a treat when these visit. It is vary rare for us, even though we can see the river from our upstairs window. It is even more unusual for them to hang around.

I love the last frame. A definite one-off.

Harold

Thanks all for the comments - appreciated :):

SB - Not much chasing around, I spooked it when I first saw it and flew off and perched in the neighbour's fir tree about 15 feet up. I thought that was it but a few hours later I found it sitting in my front garden and was able to take the first shots. It's position though prevented me in getting some shots I wanted so I cheated and trapped it in a glass with a card and then carefully let it go on one of my bonsai acers by my pond in the back garden. Luckily it stayed where I released it and I was able to take another series of shots. I did spook it in the end and it flew to the back of my garden landing on the rhododendron.

Brian v.
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    Thanks all for the comments - appreciated :):

SB - Not much chasing around, I spooked it when I first saw it and flew off and perched in the neighbour's fir tree about 15 feet up. I thought that was it but a few hours later I found it sitting in my front garden and was able to take the first shots. It's position though prevented me in getting some shots I wanted so I cheated and trapped it in a glass with a card and then carefully let it go on one of my bonsai acers by my pond in the back garden. Luckily it stayed where I released it and I was able to take another series of shots. I did spook it in the end and it flew to the back of my garden landing on the rhododendron.

Brian v.

Brin,

I am sorry to learn that you missed out on a tree-climbing adventure. rolleyes1.gif

Harold
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    These are all amazing - #1 and 6 are my favorites. The Damselfly is beautiful even before his wings change color.
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    Wonderful DF Brian.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    edited May 22, 2016
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Brin,

I am sorry to learn that you missed out on a tree-climbing adventure. rolleyes1.gif

Harold
    I gave up on tree climbing about 20years ago :)

Brian v.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    These are all amazing - #1 and 6 are my favorites. The Damselfly is beautiful even before his wings change color.
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Wonderful DF Brian.

Paul.

Thanks Jo and Paul for the comments - appreciated :):
    Brian v.