Options

To create most recent folder and Gallery.

fungtycfungtyc Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited November 4, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Pls told me how to create most recent folder and Gallery.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 19, 2014
    You can use a Multiple Photo element on a page to show recent photos.

If you want to show recent galleries you can use a feed element referencing recent galleries. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84266-where-can-i-find-feeds-.

Since folders are just containers I suspect you can only get at recent folders by showing recent galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited October 22, 2014
    OK, I'm also trying to set up a gallery with the most recent (x#) of photos, or a feed of them. In both old and new Smugmug, I have had a "Most Recent Photos" content area on my SM home page. I would like to eliminate that block and instead go with a top navigation menu item, or submenu, than opens up a gallery of these so the home page is cleaner and mostly shows a slideshow.

So what I've been able to do in new SM so far is set up a Page named "Most Recent Photos." That page has no content yet. How do I get a feed of recent photos in there using a feed (or a link of the recent photos, if there is one)? I can't see a way of doing that with the link Denise provided above.

Here's where I am to this point:

i-5j2r9wN-L.gif

To find any feed whatsoever, I had to go to an existing gallery and a single photo in lightbox, choosing the Get a Link function. I navigated to Feeds and had a choice of formats for a link; "RSS", "Atom" and "Boxee." I also have image size options. Yet when I apply the resulting link in the menu URL it just delivers a text page.

headscratch.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    OK, I'm also trying to set up a gallery with the most recent (x#) of photos, or a feed of them. In both old and new Smugmug, I have had a "Most Recent Photos" content area on my SM home page. I would like to eliminate that block and instead go with a top navigation menu item, or submenu, than opens up a gallery of these so the home page is cleaner and mostly shows a slideshow.

So what I've been able to do in new SM so far is set up a Page named "Most Recent Photos." That page has no content yet. How do I get a feed of recent photos in there using a feed (or a link of the recent photos, if there is one)? I can't see a way of doing that with the link Denise provided above.

To find any feed whatsoever, I had to go to an existing gallery and a single photo in lightbox, choosing the Get a Link function. I navigated to Feeds and had a choice of formats for a link; "RSS", "Atom" and "Boxee." I also have image size options. Yet when I apply the resulting link in the menu URL it just delivers a text page.

headscratch.gif

Hi David, excellent question. I'm going to offer a different solution than the "Feeds" option Denise suggested earlier. Instead, you could use a "Smart Gallery."

1. Create a new gallery called "Most Recent Photos" (you may have to delete your page with the same name first).
    2. Select whatever settings you want and click Done.
    3. Now go back into your Gallery Settings and select the "Smart Rules" tab and click "Setup".
    4. Set it to "Include", "My Photo", "Date", "Taken" and set the date from to "01/01/1999" and the
    date to "12/31/2059".
    5. Set the max number of photos to whatever you want to show, perhaps 25?
    6. Click "Refresh" next to "Preview" to see that it's working.
    7. Click "Save" and "Return to Gallery". You now have your gallery setup. We'll tweak it once more.
    8. Go to Gallery settings -> Appearance, and set the "Sort By" to "Date Taken" and ensure it's set to Ascending order. Now you're gallery is all set

Now, your menu should link to the "Most Recent Photos" gallery you created. In your screenshot, select "Page I Choose", then navigate to your "Most Recent Photos" gallery. Your menu should now be set all set!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    Yea! :D

Thanks, Aaron. Too late this morning to try now, but I will make another attempt when I have more time.

I'm still on old SM, but trying to get things right for the switchover when it happens.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    Hi David,

I had answered but aaron beat me to it, editing my post. :)
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    Aaron, I went in to begin setting up my Most Recent gallery, and it looks like you made that for me? "Most Recent2" ? I found that when I was adding a "Most Recent" gallery per your instructions above. It was set to most all the settings you outlined.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    OK, not working right. I can only see my very oldest photos if I select the YES option to display my unlisted/password protected galleries. Obviously, I don't want to display photos from passworded and unlisted galleries to everyone.

If I select the NO option to not show those, only the very oldest photos form 10 years ago are displayed. Doesn't matter if Ascending or Descending is chosen. Why?

i-f68LDtX-X2.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    OK, not working. I can only see my oldest photos. Ascending or Descending doesn't seem to make a difference. Puzzled.

Oops .. I created it to give you instructions and meant to delete it for you to do the whole thing!

The gallery I see (Most Recent Photos 2) looks like it's showing photos taken 10-07-2014 through 09-04-2014. Are those not the most recent? I do see 2 photos at the end that don't have a Date Taken and it looks like it's using date modified?
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    See my newly edited post above yours for what I'm not wanting to show.

I just added a screenshot. If you are able to view my not-yet-revieled-smugmug site, please compare those most recent to the ones on the front page. The newly created gallery displays some unlisted photos (or does it only display those to me because I'm the site owner?) EDIT: The front page unlisted versions show "unlisted" to just me, it seems, where the gallery page does not.

Also there's a shot of a fountain that I just uploaded two days ago that isn't there. Ideally, I (and probably most SM'ers) would want to display only newly uploaded photos, and not those older taken dates since there might be updates/refreshes to those older photos that still have the date taken in the EXIF. The stock SM Recent routine includes the updated just uploaded shots by default, even if they might have been taken a decade ago.

Another oddity, is the very screenshot I just posted above is the most recent, and it is buried back into the recent shots in the Most Recent Gallery? Are there multiple lines of rules needed that have to be set up for this to just display most recently uploaded photos that are for public display?

I've been in there messing with the settings but now I'm going to leave it alone for a while since I might be also messing up your attempts. Thanks for your help, Aaron.

EDIT: See below. Issue is mostly solved.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    See my newly edited post above yours for what I'm not wanting to show.

This is not behaving like I expected it to behave. Let me get back to you tomorrow after I can dig deeper.

One way I got around this, although it's a little bit extra work, is to manually create a "most recent" gallery. After I upload a new image (or images) I collect them into this "New Releases" gallery. It's a few extra clicks but at least I can absolutely control what's there. Sometimes this actually works best, for example, if I create a public gallery of wedding photos. I don't want those to show up in my "New Releases" but it is a public gallery.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    OK, thanks again. What will work for me will most likely work for many other Smugmuggers, so it looks like it is well worth the effort to get this right.

fungtyc, are you still watching this thread?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2014
    Aaron, any progress with this?

EDIT: I found a way to do what I want to do. Working out the kinks now.

Bug report made about the Smart Rules function here.

Question: If I delete that newly made Most Recent Photos gallery, is there any risk that the photos (that I don't believe live there) might be lost?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 26, 2014
    Sorry I missed this post earlier. And I apologize for not going past the reference to feeds in my previous answer. I suspect recent photos does use feeds but the setup of this page doesn't need an explicit feed reference - it is available in the Multiple Photos box.

I created a page. I dragged a multiple photos content element onto the page and selected "Recent Photos". Once you create the page containing the content element you can add that page to your menu. If you're looking for my recent photos page, it is linked from my Kaleidoscope page.

Setting up recent photos as leftquark suggested is a better solution if you want to remove some public galleries from the recent photos shown. For a simple recent photos list I think this is a better solution (especially since it doesn't require doing anything to update the element after uploading new photos).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2014
    Yes, thanks, Denise. That's what I eventually did, was to just use the Recent Photos built-in widget on a special gallery. Since that automagically selects the latest uploaded photos, and only shows listed to the public, and also unlisted and passworded to me, the site owner, (and also marks those unlisted with an [ unlisted ] tag), it works well enough.

I'm done with smart rules. Aaron couldn't get them to work either.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2014
    I'm done with smart rules. Aaron couldn't get them to work either.

At some point we'll New Smugmug'ify the SmartRules. You'll prob. get tired of me saying this but ... I'm not sure when we'll get to it amongst our list of priorities. We're busy cookin' up some fun treats!
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    SmugSamSmugSam Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2014
    Sorry - I think I stupidly duplicated this thread elsewhere (will delete it now). I hadn't seen this one!

I have come to understand that it isn't possible to do a Smart Gallery to show 'recent photos'? Yet I saw that you seem to have it working on your site Aaron?

I had set a Smart Gallery up (turns out pretty much as per Aaron's instructions earlier in this post) but it just pulls random photos (well, using a selection criteria I can't see/control) and then seems to order that subgroup by my chosen Date Uploaded setting. So I don't get Recently Added photos at all.

So - I have just moved from simply displaying a Folder in which I have all my Galleries (including the faulty Smart Gallery), to trying to recreate exactly the same thing but with something that displays my recent photos. I:

- created a Page that has Multi Photo content block set to selecting Recent photos
    - created another Page to which I added the rest of my Galleries
    - added the first Page into the second Page
    - but then I had to style the way the link to the Page containing the Recent photos looked to make it 'fit' alongside the galleries nicely (same spacing etc)
    - also when you visit this Recent Photos page it isn't quite the same - the options that are normally at the bottom of the photos (most notably the Buy button) are missing

So - at the moment it is kind of working, but not as simply as I had it.

Aaron - did you get this working on your site? It looks like it? It seems strange you can use Smart Galleries to pull x number of photos from a date range, but you have no control over which photos get returned.
    regards,
    Sam
    edited November 4, 2014
    SmugSam wrote: »
    Aaron - did you get this working on your site? It looks like it?

I did something sneaky to make it work. I manually collect my latest images into a "Recent Photos" gallery. I do this for a few reasons:
    1) It works
    2) It gives me absolute control over which photos go into it. I don't want it to include certain galleries, for example, public galleries of events (like a wedding, reunion, or engagement shoot). If I upload a wedding gallery, for example, and I was using a Smart Rule, I'd have to update the smart rule to exclude the gallery.
    3) I can sort it any way I want
    4) It's really easy to collect images into another gallery.

Hope that helps!
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    SmugSamSmugSam Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    I did something sneaky to make it work.

Ahhhh!! That explains it. I did wonder. But I had seen a post from you from a looooong time ago asking about this, so figured maybe you had cracked it.

Yes I pondered around having to add 'exclusion' galleries, but I don't think there will be that many for me to make it a big hassle. Having my 'Recently Added' gallery update automatically on upload from Lightroom based on Smart Rules would have outweighed that.

OK - at least I am clear on what my options are/aren't now. I will keep an eye out to see if the Smart Galleries get an update at some stage and revisit.

Thanks Aaron.
    regards,
    Sam