Options

5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

Comments

• Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Amazing camera! As somebody said before, there are many more keepers with 5DMIII than with my 7D. I don't regret spending 3500 bucks even though I am not a professional photographer in any shape or form....
    Here's a photo taken with 24-70mm f/2.8L lens and 580 flash, 1/200, f/4.0, ISO400, RAW ->JPEG in DPP, ALO standard, DLO@50:
  • Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Ok, all this talk about how amazing this camera is... mine is now on its way, along with a 35L! VERY excited! :) should be here next week, giving me over a week to learn it through-and-through before a wedding (my 5DII will be there too, but I'm thinking the 5DIII will really help with the low light reception shots).

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts! My bank account blames you all!
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Ok, all this talk about how amazing this camera is... mine is now on its way, along with a 35L! VERY excited! :) should be here next week, giving me over a week to learn it through-and-through before a wedding (my 5DII will be there too, but I'm thinking the 5DIII will really help with the low light reception shots).

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts! My bank account blames you all!

Congrats! So, since you only a have week to learn it before a wedding reception, i am hoping you noted this bit of wisdom from Matt Saville earlier in this thread:

"I have found Ai-Servo plus 9-point AF point clusters + "Case 3" to be AMAZING at nailing anything and everything I point it at. And this is on a nearly pitch-black dance floor with extremely erratic subjects."

You'll know what the "case 3" setting is once you get the camera and read the manual. So there's a head start for ya.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited May 25, 2012
    chrisdg wrote: »
    Congrats! So, since you only a have week to learn it before a wedding reception, i am hoping you noted this bit of wisdom from Matt Saville earlier in this thread:

"I have found Ai-Servo plus 9-point AF point clusters + "Case 3" to be AMAZING at nailing anything and everything I point it at. And this is on a nearly pitch-black dance floor with extremely erratic subjects."

You'll know what the "case 3" setting is once you get the camera and read the manual.

Thanks! I definitely noticed that (thanks Matt!) :D My goal is to get out with it a few times in different situations and really put it through some tests to ensure I'm as comfortable as possible with it. Reading the manual back to front (2-3x if possible) is priority #1.

I'm either the 2nd or 3rd on the wedding, so a bit less stress there, BUT if I'm not comfortable with it, I'll be using the 5D2 primarily. I've been dying for a better AF system... can't wait to see what the 5D3 can handle!

EDIT: Why wait until I own the camera... going to start reading the guide tonight! http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007348/01/eos5dmkiii-im-c-en.pdf
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    chrisdg wrote: »
    ...the low light sensitivity vs megapixel race, etc.
    http://www.thisweekinphoto.com/2012/twip-256-canon-asmp/
    ...Laughing.gif that Canon lost BOTH races, this round. Oh well...

BTW, regarding the AF etc:

Having now tested FOUR different 5D mk3's, I must unfortunately conclude that my original issue is in fact a real one. In poor light or when focusing on a low-contrast / black subject, compared to the 5D mk2 and the Nikon D700 etc, ...the 5D mk3 makes a slight compromise- It has a slight hesitation to "confirm" focus, in favor of EXTREME accuracy. Based on reports comparing the AF to the D800 and D700 it sounds like on average the 5D mk3 may be a little more accurate, however in my own personal testing I still CANNOT get my good 'ol D700 to choke at all, (using the center AF point at least) ...so the point is moot for me.

Personally, I've combatted this minor annoyance by simply not using one-shot. As I have been doing since 2004 on my good 'ol Nikon D70, I love using the 5D mk3 in AI-Servo with AF-ON only, so that I can focus any time I want but also release the shutter any time I want, without worrying about focus confirmation OR worrying about the "trigger" finger affecting focus. Yeah, I stil use "One-Shot" on my D700, (Single Focus) ...but that is only because it is a physical switch that I can toggle without even taking my eye away from the viewfinder. On the 5D mk3 though, I'd just leave it in AI-servo 100% of the time for anything that barely moves. For low-light action that is totally crazy, (such as a wedding dance floor etc.) I love using the 9-point dynamic AF, (which I have been loving for years on Nikon, so I know the concept is solid) ...and for less erratic but still slightly moving subjects, the regular spot AF works great. (As opposed to "point" AF, or whichever of the two is the SMALLER one. I don't like the smaller "point" (?) AF unless a subject is holding VERY still...)

If anyone else owns a 5D mk2 or D700 as well as a 5D mk3, with either a 24-70 on each or a 70-200 on each, feel free to prove me wrong on the "slight hesitation to confirm focus". But I've been testing multiple 5D mk3's for over a month now and my findings have been consistent. In great light there's little or no issue, but in poor light the 5D mk3 falls slightly behind when it comes to snappiness in One-Shot focusing mode.

Bottom line- The 5D mk3 is an incredible leap forward in AF for any 5D mk2 shooter, and a noticeable leap forward for even a 7D or 1-series shooter, ...just so long as you really get to know the camera and learn how to make it sing.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012

Having now tested FOUR different 5D mk3's, I must unfortunately conclude that my original issue is in fact a real one. In poor light or when focusing on a low-contrast / black subject, compared to the 5D mk2 and the Nikon D700 etc, ...the 5D mk3 makes a slight compromise- It has a slight hesitation to "confirm" focus, in favor of EXTREME accuracy. Based on reports comparing the AF to the D800 and D700 it sounds like on average the 5D mk3 may be a little more accurate, however in my own personal testing I still CANNOT get my good 'ol D700 to choke at all, (using the center AF point at least) ...so the point is moot for me.

Personally, I've combatted this minor annoyance by simply not using one-shot. As I have been doing since 2004 on my good 'ol Nikon D70, I love using the 5D mk3 in AI-Servo with AF-ON only, so that I can focus any time I want but also release the shutter any time I want, without worrying about focus confirmation OR worrying about the "trigger" finger affecting focus. Yeah, I stil use "One-Shot" on my D700, (Single Focus) ...but that is only because it is a physical switch that I can toggle without even taking my eye away from the viewfinder. On the 5D mk3 though, I'd just leave it in AI-servo 100% of the time for anything that barely moves. For low-light action that is totally crazy, (such as a wedding dance floor etc.) I love using the 9-point dynamic AF, (which I have been loving for years on Nikon, so I know the concept is solid) ...and for less erratic but still slightly moving subjects, the regular spot AF works great. (As opposed to "point" AF, or whichever of the two is the SMALLER one. I don't like the smaller "point" (?) AF unless a subject is holding VERY still...)

If anyone else owns a 5D mk2 or D700 as well as a 5D mk3, with either a 24-70 on each or a 70-200 on each, feel free to prove me wrong on the "slight hesitation to confirm focus". But I've been testing multiple 5D mk3's for over a month now and my findings have been consistent. In great light there's little or no issue, but in poor light the 5D mk3 falls slightly behind when it comes to snappiness in One-Shot focusing mode.

Bottom line- The 5D mk3 is an incredible leap forward in AF for any 5D mk2 shooter, and a noticeable leap forward for even a 7D or 1-series shooter, ...just so long as you really get to know the camera and learn how to make it sing.

=Matt=

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Matt. It's definitely good to know, as someone who is getting his 5D3 next week - now I know what to look out for!
  • Options
    AsmundmaAsmundma Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2012
    Not verified here

=Matt=

Hi

I have 5D II and III (plus 7D), tested in "one shot" modus on both with just center focus point. Can not verify your problem, actually 5D3 focused somewhat better then the II. Available light 1/50 sec f2,8 and ISO 12000. I use a 70-200 2.8 vII. Don´t have the 24-70. only 24-105. Will get the new vII.
    br Asmund
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012

According to DPReview, Canon won the ISO race this time.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,791 moderator
    edited May 30, 2012
    ...Laughing.gif that Canon lost BOTH races, this round. Oh well... ...

From the "Nikonians.org" website (emphasis mine): "This year Canon is the big winner with 6 awards: Best Professional DSLR (Canon EOS-1D X), Best Video SLR (Canon EOS 5D Mark III), Best Professional Videocamera (Canon EOS C300), Best Expert Compact Camera (Powershot G1 X), Best Professional DSLR Lens (Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM fish-eye), and Best Multi-functional Photo Printer (Canon Pixma MG8250)."

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/2012/04/nikon_wins_thre.html

From the awards at this site:

http://www.tipa.com/english/XXII_tipa_awards_2012_13042012103433.php?iExpand1=70

From the same article (and relating to the same TIPA Awards), Nikon did pretty well capturing 3 awards (emphasis mine): "Nikon and Fujifilm both won three Awards. Nikon for Best Expert DSLR (Nikon D800), Best Entry Level DSLR (Nikon D5100), and Best Professional Flash System (Nikon SB-910). Fujifilm won the awards for Best Professional Compact System Camera (Fujifilm X-Pro 1), Best Superzoom Camera (Fujifilm X-S1), and Best Photo Service (Fujifilm Fotoservice Pro)."

Kudos too to FujiFilm, for their three awards. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2012
    I got my 5DIII yesterday (along with a 35L - hooray for double rebates!) and even though I've only held it in my hands for 15 minutes and barely played with it, I can already tell this was a great purchase. AF is MASSIVELY improved, the thing feels much more sturdy and well built than my 5DII (and I never had a complaint about the build on that)... it's just wonderful. Can't wait to take it out this weekend and really into all that it has to offer!

Thanks to all those who shared their thoughts and opinions! You made the decision to buy this much easier!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,791 moderator
    edited May 31, 2012
    I got my 5DIII yesterday (along with a 35L - hooray for double rebates!) and even though I've only held it in my hands for 15 minutes and barely played with it, I can already tell this was a great purchase. AF is MASSIVELY improved, the thing feels much more sturdy and well built than my 5DII (and I never had a complaint about the build on that)... it's just wonderful. Can't wait to take it out this weekend and really into all that it has to offer!

Thanks to all those who shared their thoughts and opinions! You made the decision to buy this much easier!

Congratulations on the new camera and lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012

now Canon has won the ISO race but not the megapixel race
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    now Canon has won the ISO race but not the megapixel race

Thanks. Up until I read your post, I thought that 22 was greater than 36.

;-)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    Thanks. Up until I read your post, I thought that 22 was greater than 36.

;-)

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2012
    Still gaga over this camera. Some little league baseball action from tonight over here.
    -Jack

• Options
    macwestmacwest Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    Love My 5d3
    7281146794_e8a58302aa_k.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Great sunset/rise. ^

Some 5D3 youth Hockey action over here.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 24, 2012
    So a little feedback after 4 1/2 months of real world use...

For the last 4 months I've used Canon's fixed DPP software, and now I've just purchased the CS6 upgrade after using the trial for 2 weeks. I must say objectively that for workflow and image adjustment, Canons DPP is no contest vs. CS6 CR7. It really doesn't handle tones and dynamic range nearly as neatly and as quickly, and while I was very used to DPP by 2 weeks ago, after moving back to CS6, I feel the workflow of DPP frankly just sucks. CR7 is so much better for recovering shadows and highlights that I'm actually deleting some old converted TIFFs processed with DPP and restarting in PS CR7. Yes DPP has curves etc, but it gets sloppy, slow, and inefficient comparing to CR7.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2012

examples?
    -Jack

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012

For the last 4 months I've used Canon's fixed DPP software, and now I've just purchased the CS6 upgrade after using the trial for 2 weeks. I must say objectively that for workflow and image adjustment, Canons DPP is no contest vs. CS6 CR7. It really doesn't handle tones and dynamic range nearly as neatly and as quickly, and while I was very used to DPP by 2 weeks ago, after moving back to CS6, I feel the workflow of DPP frankly just sucks. CR7 is so much better for recovering shadows and highlights that I'm actually deleting some old converted TIFFs processed with DPP and restarting in PS CR7. Yes DPP has curves etc, but it gets sloppy, slow, and inefficient comparing to CR7.

IMHO, DPP *always* sucked. I haven't yet seen a single piece of a decent software made by the hardware manufacturer... :cryne_nau.gif
    PS/ACR all the way! thumb.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 25, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    IMHO, DPP *always* sucked. I haven't yet seen a single piece of a decent software made by the hardware manufacturer... :cryne_nau.gif
    I felt that way too the last time I tried DPP. But that was years ago, maybe on my old 20D. After seeing Josh Martinez's work near the beginning of this thread, which he processes in DPP, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth taking another look. In particular, he raves about the auto-light-optimizer (ALO) feature of the camera that DPP can take advantage of, and that ACR knows nothing about. The UI may suck, but it's pretty certain that Canon can add support for specialized features to their RAW converter a lot faster than Adobe can if ever.
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2012

IMHO, for a software that is free, it does decent job.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »

Nikon View NX 2 is the absolute best culling program I have ever used. Imagine Lightroom Library and Grid mode, with instant previews both standard and 1:1, ...but without any rendering time whatsoever.

That, and you get your in-camera editing back, which to me is an art form sometimes. I love throwing my camera in B&W and getting a shot that really rocks with zero editing...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    I felt that way too the last time I tried DPP. But that was years ago, maybe on my old 20D. After seeing Josh Martinez's work near the beginning of this thread, which he processes in DPP, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth taking another look. In particular, he raves about the auto-light-optimizer (ALO) feature of the camera that DPP can take advantage of, and that ACR knows nothing about. The UI may suck, but it's pretty certain that Canon can add support for specialized features to their RAW converter a lot faster than Adobe can if ever.

I love DPP. It does not suck. Another valuable feature of it is the Dynamic Lens Optimizer. I did a little demonstration here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=219478
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 26, 2012
    I love DPP. It does not suck. Another valuable feature of it is the Dynamic Lens Optimizer. I did a little demonstration here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=219478

FWIW, ACR had been using lens profiles for a while. You just allow it to do it (once), and it will pick the correct lens profile automatically from now on. The difference is huge, I agree. I was able to redo some old RAW pics from 20D just by opening them in ACR 7...
    As for the which software to use - every man's to his taste. There is no right or wrong, there is only what works for you and what doesn't. DPP doesn't work for me, ACR does. YMMV...
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2012
    I'm just saying relative ease of use and workflow/efficiency. DPP is fantastic for the price, but all things equal with no price tag involved, its not a choice I'd stick with.

Its always a good option to fall back on in a pinch, though, if you need to use a computer that's not yours or PS licensing goes kaplooey for a weird reason (its happened to me before)
  • Options
    jmark252jmark252 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Now the question is do I sell my 5D II or the 7D? :D

Sam

I sold my 5D2 and kept the 7D. The 7Ds autofocus system was what made me lust after the 5D3 in the first palce. I'm not disappointed.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    Testing is subjective and I think we all can agree that the new cameras released by both nikon and canon have been quite stellar.

If it works for what you need it to do, it doesn't get better than that!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    dwphotoskidwphotoski Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2012
    5D mark 3 with sports
    How does the 5D Mark III do with shooting sports? Is the autofocus fast and accurate? How about the FPS? I have the 5D Mark II and find it slower with focusing for sports than my eos 1D. Looking to upgrade my eos 1d and appreciate your thoughts. The new EOS 1dX looks very nice and fast but I am seeing if I can get great, fast results with the 5d Mark III.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2012
    dwphotoski wrote: »
    How does the 5D Mark III do with shooting sports? Is the autofocus fast and accurate? How about the FPS? I have the 5D Mark II and find it slower with focusing for sports than my eos 1D. Looking to upgrade my eos 1d and appreciate your thoughts. The new EOS 1dX looks very nice and fast but I am seeing if I can get great, fast results with the 5d Mark III.
    Rent both for a weekend and decide for yourself. Too many fine points that can be totally specific for what *you* are shooting.