Options

Pleione grandiflora 'Pink' Through Laowa 15mm Macro

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited April 28, 2016 in Holy Macro
This lens arrived yesterday. It was a bright but windy day I got some shots of other subjects outside, and of this orchid with my EM-1.

I am not yet accustomed to my Sony Alpha A7R and I wanted to see what the full frame would do with this special lens. I normally look for an uncluttered background but this lens does macro with good background focus. My greenhouse seemed a good location.

The lens has continuous aperture setting i.e. with no click stops. These were at between f16 and f22.

A7R, Aperture Priority, daylight ISO 640 1/500 & 1/400, hand-held with support form the shelf.

I have cropped off a little of the left side of the first, as it was very boring.

For the crops, I first used NR, then cropped and worked on the crops. I have just missed the very nearest focus on both. This is consistent with my recent experience with other ultra-wide angle lenses on this camera, due to my lack of practice in recent years.

This is the same lens that Kurt 'orionmystery' sometimes uses, his images having inspired me to buy the lens. It is going to be very useful for some subjects. Here I have used it at about half its maximum magnification, as I had in mind for most of my intending applications.

The weather looks good for another session today.

Harold

1290508.jpg?ts=1461737620

1290509.jpg?ts=1461737620

1290510.jpg?ts=1461737620

1290511.jpg?ts=1461737620

Comments

• Options
    edited April 27, 2016
    Here are some twin flash shots, manual mode, at f22. I had a very high failure rate, what looked OK in the viewfinder often being slightly to considerably OOF.

In theory, we should expect some diffraction blur at f22. There was a tiny amount, which I have corrected with Micro Contrast software.

The first to images have been cropped slightly, one to crop out the front corner of the flash gun. Lighting is quite a problem and this lens is not going to be got-to one for macro.

The focus in these images is better than in the initial ones. The last one, a crop of the fourth, was processed from scratch after NR and cropping.

I have lightened the background in the third and fourth image. The previous ISO 640 would have been a better choice for light balance, work in progress!

Sony Alpha A7R, Manual Mode, ISO 400 with twin TTL Nissin Air flash (RC) Laowa 15mm macro at f22, (The aperture ring setting is easily moved accidentally).

Harold

1290599.jpg

1290600.jpg

1290601.jpg

1290602.jpg

1290603.jpg
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2016
    Looking Good Harold - an interesting lens to play with.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2016
    Looking Good Harold - an interesting lens to play with.
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

I must see what it does on m4/3 (as a 30mm).

The thing I noticed yesterday is that a tiny turn of the focus/magnification ring seems to make a huge difference to the magnification.

What I would like to see is a macro frame and (a) distance frame(s) from the same viewpoint stacked.

Harold
  • Options
    piggsypiggsy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2016
    Some neat shots. I'm very curious how it goes on m43 as well if you get time to play with it.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2016
    piggsy wrote: »
    Some neat shots. I'm very curious how it goes on m43 as well if you get time to play with it.

If you owned the lens, would you NOT find time? :D

It is really a matter of suitable subjects. The weather today is sunny but very cold. I may try the same orchid.

Harold