Options

some recent teddy bear bees

piggsypiggsy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited April 25, 2016 in Holy Macro
Although this has been pretty bad for bugs here lately (driest summer since 1919) I've been lucky to have a few native solitary bees set up and roost overnight in my yard over the last few weeks. All E-P5 / Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 + Raynox 150.

Very large teddy bear bee, by far the biggest bee Ive seen around here.

p4120168th5zpqp.jpg

Shes right behind me, isnt she?

p4120154th1orru.jpg

Lucky catch of co-habiting bees, this was quite a large blue banded bee but its still significantly smaller than the more bumblebee sized teddy bear. Unfortunately since the big bees are ridiculously likely to wake up, active and angry seeming even in sub-20 degree temperatures and under dim light you really have to motor through focus stacking - the legs and back end of the bee are constantly pulsing when they start to wake up. I initially thought the big hump on the teddy bear bee was a focus stacking error but they actually seriously do look like quasimodo from the side :D

p4120159th9xe2u.jpg

p4120181th0xf41.jpg

Teddy bear male or different kind of bee? Not sure.

p4130053th65p06.jpg

p4100124thw9oea.jpg

No difficulties spotting this guy, had to be about 2cm wide. What a fatty.
p4140014th1dpw7.jpg

Other neat thing I found - because of recent land clearing in their shared habitat, a weed stalk where both orange tailed (M. rhodura) and nomia bees were huddling in one mass overnight -

p2050077th1jptv.jpg

Comments

• Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2016
    Those bees are irresistible. I had no idea they could be so large. We don't have them here.

Great images.

Haroldf
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2016
  • Options
    piggsypiggsy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2016
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Those bees are irresistible. I had no idea they could be so large. We don't have them here.

Great images.

Haroldf

Yup, they're by far the most photogenic and largest bees around here - stingless too I think, but I'm not keen to find out for sure. Other than the blue bandeds and some of the larger female cuckoo bees pretty much everything else around here native bee wise is getting into tiny "bring at least 2x on M43" territory photo wise.
    Wonderful stuff :)
    Brian v.

Thanks! I was surprised how sloppy PS let me get with a couple of those stacks of both of them side on - managed to convince it to bridge some of them by inserting photos that weren't much in focus anywhere but tipped it over the "40% overlap" threshold to allow alignment, then just didn't select them as layers to stack :D