Aquatic Eristalis Drone Fly Larva

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
edited October 19, 2014 in Holy Macro
In our garden there is a mains water-fed tub, used for watering garden plants. The turnover of water is such that it must completely change once a week. However, in order to save some unripe damsons, on a branch which snapped off a few days ago, we put the broken end in the tub water.

The water was a bit clouded and smelly and the insect fauna had changed. This is the first time I had seen Rat-Tailed Maggots in there. These are larvae of Eristalis hoverflies such a E. tenax the Drone-Fly. They have a telescopic snorkel, so that they can vary its length. They can browse with the tip of the snorkel breaking the surface film or dive much deeper.

Most published images of these larvae will have been taken through the glass of a small aquarium. Not having an immersible lens, I had to wait for them to twist and turn at the surface (with its reflection problems). I used twin flash on my EM-1 (manual mode) with my Kiron 105mm at f16. Hand-held.

Yes, you can see small mosquito larvae. There are also bloodworms, which are not shown.

I tried to get similar shots on other days but the results were disappointing.

Harold

1004203.jpg

Comments