Rock Climbing New Routes and Birthdays![56k warning]

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited June 3, 2008 in Journeys
Hello again! Well since i agreed to write a guidebook I have been climbing like mad and spending less time taking pictures. Doh! But I still managed to get a few in. So I'm going to put them all into a nice bundle here!

Starting off I headed into the woods to climb a boulder called the Service Boulder. Climbed it for a little bit and got bored of bouldering so I turned and took pictures of my always beautiful friend Shasta who chose to hide this time!
299495125_333YP-XL.jpg

A few days later I was going on a trip out of town to go climbing and gather information and so I got a climbing partner named Nick who is now out in the Alaska bush working. It was a little effort talking Shasta into going climbing again even on such a beautiful day but again she went along.

Our first day we climbed two possibly new routes all traditional and had a lot of fun in this area. It was the first time I had ever climbed in the area and using the ancient and hard to read old guide got us way off track so we climbed something new on accident!
299485004_s6Wwv-XL.jpg

We struggle moaned our way up a hard crack climb and then decided on something longer to topout. Luckily for us most the mountain held together although we managed to knock down some nice football sized boulders. Ouch! That would sting. Here Nick climbs the last portion which went at 5.10 or so.
299486510_CaRoW-L.jpg

When your the first to climb it does take a while. But when theres no bolts or obvious lines you get to make it up!
299487802_m9jLw-L.jpg

Shasta peeks over the rock ledge as I belay her for the last portion. While on belay she was hidden behind a large rock where you could hear rockfall whizzing by. She mentioned it was odd that while I was yelling rock and tossing rocks down suddenly a tree went flying by. Never do know whats going to come down.
299488865_LaCcq-L.jpg

This is the last 5 feet...and the hardest part of the entire climb! Nick Managed it well and then I struggled through it moaning and groaning. Shasta however didn't seem to have any problems with it....:huh
299489466_dE62J-L.jpg

We walked down to another climb and rappelled to where we were initially supposed to be in the first place! Ravine Lake is off in the distance.
299490201_QEdad-L.jpg

We drove down the road after climbing and found a nice place for a campfire and tenting. After a good (but short) night of sleep Nick woke me up. I tried rolling over Shasta but it was essentially the same as trying to start a car with a dead battery by continuosly turning the key. It just wasn't happening. So Nick and I went for a climb and then came back and picked her up for even more climbing! No wasting time around here!
299490760_ykR7b-L.jpg

My hand and purty rope make an appearance.
299483525_jh8Hp-L.jpg

Nick finishing up a nice fun route in great weather.
299491474_DvXRF-L.jpg

The obligatory summit portrait of Nick.
299484116_uEQMZ-L.jpg

I went back climbing the next weekend to even better weather and just about broke myself trying to follow someone who climbs 5.13..."Oh I'll setup a toprope on this 5.12 for you." ..."Ahhh...ya...okay..cause I can do that." but I mean how do you say now?! If your wondering about the ratings 5.8 is a nice climb for a beginner. 5.9 is getting a little harder. 5.10 takes work and 5.11 is hard stuff. After climbing a 5.12 my fingertips were gone, seriously I no longer had fingerprints. It was a good time to commit a crime (which I didn't take advantage of). And then a few days later after I had enough time to recoup I took my Mom, Dad, and friend AJ out for birthday climbs. All of them had only been climbing outside once before and oddly enough my moms birthday was today as with AJ and my dads is sunday. WOrked out great!

Here my dad gets his grove on. He will be 58 on sunday.
299503569_6Qooq-L.jpg

The three birthday folk!
299503950_xVhR9-L.jpg

Ooooo the three finger crimper. Atleast he has my shadow to keep him company.
299504283_uji2c-L.jpg

Glad to be outside!
299500897_VhsbF-L.jpg

My dad showing off his shoes. He didn't manage to get to the top of this climb but he did pretty darn awesome for his second time! Next time I think he'll make it!
299501298_46jcY-L.jpg

And now the birthday girl herself. I won't say exact age but she was born in 1958. So when exactly are you to old to climb? The day you believe that you are.
299501804_aW7RY-L.jpg

Oh and her and my dad have only been climbing for a year or two now.
299502145_Si6z9-L.jpg

Lets dip into a little chalk for this next climb shall we.
299502593_xG8zX-L.jpg

Next up was AJ who was eager to get some climbs in before he heads off to college!
299503159_yvZmy-L.jpg

A little later he would also do his first lead climb outside on a 5.10. Well done!
299505983_swrQs-L.jpg

Gives the "Ya, I know im cool." look...and if you knew AJ then you could see him saying it!
299504792_fPw87-L.jpg

And heres my mom giving the belay to my dad who is working his magic on the climb. Well done!
299505602_dhYVH-L.jpg

And thats it for now! I am hoping to head back up this entire weekend for some more climbing so how knows what will happen! Hope everyone enjoyed this clump of pictures!

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Killer stuff man. Hatchers this weekend!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 2, 2008
    Catching up...nice!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Very cool stuff. What's the deal with climbing without a helmet for your folks and AJ?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Very cool stuff. What's the deal with climbing without a helmet for your folks and AJ?

Cuong

On the easier day crags that are not bad on rockfall I often forgo the helmet. Although I would always recommend it.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    Cuong wrote:

Cuong

"Back in the day", helmets were rarely worn. And look at me, I turned out
    OK lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?