Nikon D300 shooting banks - setup question

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in Cameras
I am looking for some assistance in setting up customised "banks" with Nikon's D300.

Nikon provides four (A, B, C, D) customizable "banks" to assist in saving often used settings, making the switching back and forth, re-setting shooting parameters easier.

It appears that there are actually eight banks, as one can set a shooting bank A, and a customized bank A. This can be done for all four "banks."

I suppose that one could set the camera to be in shooting bank A, using customized setting of bank B. I can see several "in-the-field" situations where one might want to us a special combination of settings represented by pre-selected features from two separate "banks".

My problem, thus my question, stems from my attempt to set Bank D as my default bank with setting for bracketing.

I set all of the options as I wanted them, in both the shooting bank and coutsomised bank D. Saved the settings by following the menu prompts, and shut the camera off.

I turned the camera back on, switched to shooting and customised Bank A, and the bracket settings, which I thought had been only assigned to Bank D, now appeared in the camera's setting's window as being associated with bank A as well.

OK, so......

(a) what am I missing about working with Nikon's D300 customizable "banks?"

(b) what did I do wrong in the short description above? I hope that I explained it clearly enough.

(c) what am I missing regarding bracketing settings, and custom banks, in the D300?

In advance , many thanks for any assistance that can be provided in clearing this question up for me.

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    For me, I don't have to "save" anything. I select a bank (say D) and then change over all the settings in the "Custom Setting Bank." I might rename it as well, such as "Consumer Mode" or whatever so that I can remember which bank has which settings. I can select whichever bank I want, and the settings are all there. I never have to "Save" anyting, except when I rename a bank.

Does this help?
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Nikon's Customized Settings and Shooting Menu are a bit of a pain in the bum, but Ken Rockwell's site has a fairly comprehensive explanation (which does require a couple of readings), but is much easier to understand than the Nikon destruction manual, and Ken makes some excellent suggestions (here); but perhaps you already knew this…

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Thom Hogan has great info on this as well. if you own the Camera Control Pro app, you can set it up through there, which makes it much easier to get an overview on it. The thing to remember is that you have 4 shooting AND custom banks. I try to make by Shooting A bank work with the custom A bank, and so on.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Thanks!!
    Thanks everyone for the intel.

I will check out both Ken and Tom's respective web sites and see if I can get the "banks" to work as I logically think that they should.

Still wondering why bracketing for example, assigned to Bank D, shows up as a pre-set, setting/option in Bank A, when this is not the intent.

As stated, I'll grab the documentation and sit down with camera in hand and slough through the details.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your time and input.clap.gif