Poison dart frog

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Wildlife
I was asked by a friend for a frog picture for an article she is writing about the frog exhibit at the Utah Museum of Natural History. I went up there with a Utah photo group last spring to take some photos and I happened to have a few good shots for her to choose from.

I hadn't looked at the photos in a while and this was a good thing. It gave me some new perspective on them. I cropped a bit closer, lightened them up a bit and did a bit of noise reduction.

This one is my favorite.

629848323_8x37o-L.jpg

Comments

• raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Very nice! clap.gif I like the pose, color, and the soft bkg. I would have liked a little more sharpness on the front leg closest to the camera!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    That's some great color in that little thing. Very nice. thumb.gif

Bud
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I wish the legs were in focus too. But overall I like the little guy. He was only about 1" long. It was really low light and no flash so I had to go with wide apertures and some high ISO. They were really hard to shoot. They would move as soon as you were set up. And it was through glass so auto focus was not a good option. I used my live view and zoomed in on a point of the body and fine tuned the focus for that. Pretty effective but slow. Most of the time they walked way or moved a little bit.

Thanks for looking everyone!
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Zerodog wrote:
    I wish the legs were in focus too. But overall I like the little guy. He was only about 1" long. It was really low light and no flash so I had to go with wide apertures and some high ISO. They were really hard to shoot. They would move as soon as you were set up. And it was through glass so auto focus was not a good option. I used my live view and zoomed in on a point of the body and fine tuned the focus for that. Pretty effective but slow. Most of the time they walked way or moved a little bit.

Thanks for looking everyone!

I think that was a great shot. What procedure did you use for the noise reduction?
    Regards
    Bob
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Not much of one. I just moved up the sliders a little bit in Lightroom and looked at the very zoomed preview patch. It wasn't too bad before I started but it did seem to help the background a bit.

The main thing I did different than my first go at it was bumping up the exposure until the highlights started blinking at me, then went back a notch. I just need to learn to trust the histogram on my camera and computer.