My Trip Down Highway 1 (lots of pictures)

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited December 27, 2004 in Wildlife
Today I didn't have much to do, so I decided to finally make the trip down Highway 1 that I've been wanting to do for the last year.

The weather was perfect, the sky was clear. The only thing that would have made a better trip would be a few clouds in the sky. It was a flat blue, so I focused more on the water and rocks instead. Let me know what you think.

Armed with my camera, some water and an iPod, I set out for my journey. All images are with my D2H and a combination of Tamron 17-35 & 28-75.

I've already been down Highway 1 to Half Moon Bay, so I saved some time & skipped that part.

First stop was a small spot of sand and rock called Pebble Beach. This is not the same as the famous Pebble Beach Golf Course & Resort. There was a sign about starfish something. I searched around for a bit, but didn't see anything? Maybe it was too early & they were still in bed?
13152076-L.jpg

Further down the road I reached first planned stop of the day. The Pigeon Point Lighthouse.

13152070-L.jpg

I have two other angles of the lighthouse. They can be found here and here.

Pigeon Point Lighthouse is about 20 minutes north of Santa Cruz, my next stop. No pictures, just coffee...mmmm...coffee. There was a Starbucks across from borders, so I stopped in to pick up the San Francisco & Northern California guide book Anand had recommended the other day.

Next on the trip was Monterey. Lots to see & do here. I made a quick trip through cannery row & fisherman's wharf. I only took notes, but no pictures. I was on somewhat of a timeline since I had to leave the dog at home. After finding the coastline again, I was able to grab a few more shots.

I love the color contrast between the vegetation, rocks & water. Lots of great textures to play with.

13152084-L.jpg

13152156-L.jpg

13152083-L.jpg

13152071-L.jpg

13152112-L.jpg

There were a lot more lighthouses on this drive than I had thought. There are 3 I know of counting one in Santa Cruz. This is the Point Lobo Lighthouse. I arrived there just as they were opening (1pm). You have to be careful here. The ladies that work here are talkers, and you may be stuck there for a lot longer than you plan.

13152081-L.jpg

I was surprised how close Monterey, 17-mile drive & Carmel were together. I jumped on the 17-mile drive ($8.50/car) and followed their little map. The first spot that I liked was the Fanshell Overlook. The other stops were basically more rock & water. For the sake of time, I only processed the ones I thought were worth posting.

This picture is from Point Joe & the Restless Sea. Stops #7 & 8 on the little map they give you. I'll leave the history out unless your dying to know.

13152073-L.jpg

A little further down the road (stop #13) is Fanshell Overlook. According to the signs, this is where harbor seals give birth to their pups every year. Um..thanks for the warning, I'll watch my step.

13152134-L.jpg

Ahh..yes. Stop #16, the Lone Cypress. I'm sure everyone here knows what it is. If you don't know what this is, read the name, look at the picture, read the name, look at the picture...rinse & repeat. ;P

I took a bunch of bracketed exposures here. This is just a down & dirty pic until I get more time to process more. I have visions of blending for greater dynamic range, then maybe a duo-tone or tri-tone?

13152074-L.jpg

The last stop for me was the "Ghost Tree." It's a tree that has turned white over the years from wind, water & sand beating it to death. I was not inspired by the tree, but a little further to the right was pretty nice. No tourists, nice & quiet...just right.

13152069-L.jpg

This concludes the tour. You may unbuckle your seat belts and proceed to the nearest couch for a nap.

Seriously though. I would like to make a 2 day trip to Monterey & Carmel. This will give us 2 afternoons, 1 night shot & one sunrise in the area. Let me know if you would be interested in something like this.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Comments

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    [
    Seriously though. I would like to make a 2 day trip to Monterey & Carmel. This will give us 2 afternoons, 1 night shot & one sunrise in the area. Let me know if you would be interested in something like this.

Thanks for looking.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Lovely shots Dave... I am jealeous that you can see alll that beauty.
    I have only been in the States twice, and I loved every moment of it.
    Your trip along the coast makes me want to come there too. Love the water and rock shots, lighthouses are totally it for me too.
    Great series...
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Dave, awesome shots, I have made that trip down Highway 1 more than once and it's just a great place to relax and take pictures. I think we're going to make the trip again in the next month or so.

The Gray Whales are going to be in full swing in thier migration south sometime near the end of Janurary. You can see them all along the coast.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    I like your version of the Lone Cypress better than most and look forward to
    seeing it processed.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    clap.gifclap.gif

and i really dig the one with the iceplants :D
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Nice!
    I love watching what other photographers catch in my "neighborhood." I've been out here for 18 years now and I never tire of that trip.

When my daughter worked for this one company as a temp, they were nice enough to invite her and a guest (me) for a weekend in Carmel as a holiday perk.

We didn't have enough time at all! We went back later, staying in Seaside to catch up on some spots we missed. We usually make it down toward Big Sur as far as the Coast Gallery and a little bit south before we turn around.

You are right tho, some beautiful fluffy clouds would have been nice.

How long have you been out here? and from where?

Next time you head down Route 1 stop at the two beaches at Pescadero. The first has trails out to the headland where you can look down some seals sunning on the rocks, you can climb down to the beach and get closer. To the north, there's a trail to the beach, and under the highway is the marsh with ducks, turtles, egrets and herons.

The next beach down, if you go at low tide, you can walk out on the island, and there are tidepools in the rock at about waist high level which makes it really easy to photograph tidepool life.

Continuing south on highway 1 there's an unmarked beach where more seals haul out to sun themselves, then a marked beach with steps to the north leading down, but the main attraction is at the end of the short parking lot. The waves crash up really high on the reef, you can climb down at low tide for a closer look, and the wave worn rocks just under the parking lot are fantastic in morning or afternoon light.

You can head south and take the trail all the way to Pebble Beach. In the spring this is the best place to photograph the wild Douglas Iris and to view a very large seal colony. Sometimes you can catch the young ones playing in the water. There is also a trail down where you can get pretty close to the seals, a big lens would come in handy and you can get a head shot! There's a separation of water, so while they will watch you, the older seals will stay put. It's so much fun to watch them try to get up on the rocks and fight for a favored spot. Lots of "barking."

Just south of Pebble beach, head south on Highway One, take a left and head north a very short distance. There's a dirt area to pull off. On the east side there's this old rusting rotting building that was probably some sort of boat house or pump house with brown water in front, to the west you look over the water filled with reeds and at Highway One. You can continue to follow that road north, or turn south to get back to the highway.

Other places of interest are Pescadero, the town is very small with some tourist stuff, but is home to a goat farm, and Phipps Farm (neat beans and peas in the store, neat flowers in the back, and outside an area where they have animals in cages, peacocks, pigs, rabbits, turkeys, etc.

Duartes Tavern is the local hot spot for food and drink, or you can pick up stuff at the local Muzzi's Deli. There's an old church that is interesting to photograph, and another old church at the north end of town. Turn right and there are a couple of houses with beautiful flowers planted, continue down to the goat farm. At the bend in the road there are more goats (different farmer) that you can photograph from the road.

That's enough to keep you busy locally.

If you like flowers, come to Pacifica on a weekend and visit Shelldance Nursery -- tourist friendly, free parking, no admission, nice coastal view. This is also a place to park for some hiking trails.

Also in Pacifica, if you like hiking, turn left on Linda Mar Blvd and drive to the end. There's an entrance to a park. I think there might be a parking fee. There are several trails, the most adventurous is Hazlenut which twists and turns and goes up and up and up... There's supposed to be a water fall too, and if you prefer, there's a flat trail that goes back a mile or so into the valley. The nature center has information and you can see what wildlife is native to that area.

Back at the beach, be sure to visit the Taco Bell on the beach for cheap eats with a view. You can eat inside if it's windy, or outside on the deck if it's nice and with a big lens can get headshots of the surfers. If you look carefully you might spot some sand dollars and the gulls will entertain you. If you like hiking, there's a recently finished paved trail that leads to Rockaway Beach. I've been meaning to walk out to the point, as I see many photographers with tripods up there all the time. From Rockaway there's another walking trail through the old quarry. We saw 8 pairs of Mallard Ducks in the marshy area. People also climb up the headland here, just follow the dirt trails. Needless to say I've never been up there.

Well, I've got to get moving and start getting ready for Christmas!
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    DAVE great shots [new camera?] you did a great job of showing the awsome coast you have up north .clap.gif great job merry xmas Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    Lovely shots Dave... I am jealeous that you can see alll that beauty.
    I have only been in the States twice, and I loved every moment of it.
    Your trip along the coast makes me want to come there too. Love the water and rock shots, lighthouses are totally it for me too.
    Great series...

Thanks Photocat! Where do you live? Maybe we can switch for a few weeks. I've been out of the country once, on a cruise to Mexico a few weeks ago. I don't have any pictures to share because I left my battery at home! 11doh.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Merry Christmas.

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    ehughes wrote:
    Dave, awesome shots, I have made that trip down Highway 1 more than once and it's just a great place to relax and take pictures. I think we're going to make the trip again in the next month or so.

The Gray Whales are going to be in full swing in thier migration south sometime near the end of Janurary. You can see them all along the coast.

Thanks ehuges! I was down highway once as a kid with my parents, don't remember much of it at all. I had a great time yesterday. Your right, it is so relaxing.

I think there were whales out yesterday. When I was at the "Ghost Tree" stop, there were people set up with telescopes trying to count the spouts. My longest lens is 75mm, so I wasn't even close to catching any action. Maybe I need to get a nice zoom for my birthday (jan 18th) and head down there.

My local photography group is planning a day trip & over night trip to the Monterey Peninsula in the next few months. If your interested, I'll let you know when we come up with a date.

Merry Christmas!

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I like your version of the Lone Cypress better than most and look forward to
    seeing it processed.

Ian

Thanks Ian! I took the shot from many angles & tried to come up with something worth showing. I'm glad you liked it.

I just bought the DRI Plugin from Fred Miranda, and I'm learning how to use it. Hopefully it turns out close to what I see in my head.

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    DAVE great shots [new camera?] you did a great job of showing the awsome coast you have up north .clap.gif great job merry xmas Jeff

Thanks Jwear. Next time you get a break, head up & we'll get the group together.

I did get a new camera. My D70's shutter died last week. After Nikon telling me this time of year could be 4-6 week turnaround, I took advantage of the D2H price drop & bought one. I'll still keep the D70 since it is an awesome camera.

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    First off...wow Dee! This is an AWESOME post! Thank you so much for your time to put this all together.
    Dee wrote:
    I love watching what other photographers catch in my "neighborhood." I've been out here for 18 years now and I never tire of that trip.
    I can believe it! I'm already planning my next few trips down there. Next time I'll have to take my girlfriend. She would absolutly love it!
    Dee wrote:
    When my daughter worked for this one company as a temp, they were nice enough to invite her and a guest (me) for a weekend in Carmel as a holiday perk.

We didn't have enough time at all! We went back later, staying in Seaside to catch up on some spots we missed. We usually make it down toward Big Sur as far as the Coast Gallery and a little bit south before we turn around.
    That is an awesome gift from her company. Any recommendations on where I should stay next time? I'm looking now, but there are so many options, it wakes my head hurt.
    Dee wrote:
    You are right tho, some beautiful fluffy clouds would have been nice.

How long have you been out here? and from where?
    I've been out here just over a year. I moved from Illinois, close to St. Louis, MO. What a drive that was, but I'm glad to be here.
    Dee wrote:
    Next time you head down Route 1 stop at the two beaches at Pescadero. The first has trails out to the headland where you can look down some seals sunning on the rocks, you can climb down to the beach and get closer. To the north, there's a trail to the beach, and under the highway is the marsh with ducks, turtles, egrets and herons.

The next beach down, if you go at low tide, you can walk out on the island, and there are tidepools in the rock at about waist high level which makes it really easy to photograph tidepool life.

Continuing south on highway 1 there's an unmarked beach where more seals haul out to sun themselves, then a marked beach with steps to the north leading down, but the main attraction is at the end of the short parking lot. The waves crash up really high on the reef, you can climb down at low tide for a closer look, and the wave worn rocks just under the parking lot are fantastic in morning or afternoon light.

You can head south and take the trail all the way to Pebble Beach. In the spring this is the best place to photograph the wild Douglas Iris and to view a very large seal colony. Sometimes you can catch the young ones playing in the water. There is also a trail down where you can get pretty close to the seals, a big lens would come in handy and you can get a head shot! There's a separation of water, so while they will watch you, the older seals will stay put. It's so much fun to watch them try to get up on the rocks and fight for a favored spot. Lots of "barking."

Just south of Pebble beach, head south on Highway One, take a left and head north a very short distance. There's a dirt area to pull off. On the east side there's this old rusting rotting building that was probably some sort of boat house or pump house with brown water in front, to the west you look over the water filled with reeds and at Highway One. You can continue to follow that road north, or turn south to get back to the highway.

Other places of interest are Pescadero, the town is very small with some tourist stuff, but is home to a goat farm, and Phipps Farm (neat beans and peas in the store, neat flowers in the back, and outside an area where they have animals in cages, peacocks, pigs, rabbits, turkeys, etc.
    This is priceless info. The main goal of my trip yesterday was to scout the area for future trips. I took lots of notes, but it looks like I may have missed a few spots. I did see the sign for Pescadero & the park, but didn't have time to stop. I knew that could be a day right there.
    Dee wrote:
    Duartes Tavern is the local hot spot for food and drink, or you can pick up stuff at the local Muzzi's Deli. There's an old church that is interesting to photograph, and another old church at the north end of town. Turn right and there are a couple of houses with beautiful flowers planted, continue down to the goat farm. At the bend in the road there are more goats (different farmer) that you can photograph from the road.
    Duarts Tavern it is! You may have to put this one on Andy's radar. It seems like he would enjoy it too!
    Dee wrote:
    That's enough to keep you busy locally.

If you like flowers, come to Pacifica on a weekend and visit Shelldance Nursery -- tourist friendly, free parking, no admission, nice coastal view. This is also a place to park for some hiking trails.

Also in Pacifica, if you like hiking, turn left on Linda Mar Blvd and drive to the end. There's an entrance to a park. I think there might be a parking fee. There are several trails, the most adventurous is Hazlenut which twists and turns and goes up and up and up... There's supposed to be a water fall too, and if you prefer, there's a flat trail that goes back a mile or so into the valley. The nature center has information and you can see what wildlife is native to that area.

Back at the beach, be sure to visit the Taco Bell on the beach for cheap eats with a view. You can eat inside if it's windy, or outside on the deck if it's nice and with a big lens can get headshots of the surfers. If you look carefully you might spot some sand dollars and the gulls will entertain you. If you like hiking, there's a recently finished paved trail that leads to Rockaway Beach. I've been meaning to walk out to the point, as I see many photographers with tripods up there all the time. From Rockaway there's another walking trail through the old quarry. We saw 8 pairs of Mallard Ducks in the marshy area. People also climb up the headland here, just follow the dirt trails. Needless to say I've never been up there.

Well, I've got to get moving and start getting ready for Christmas!

I never knew there was so much in Pacifica. I just bought a guide book on San Francisco & northern CA. There is so much to do around here that I didn't even know existed. This post & the book have been the best thing I've come across yet!

I really appreciate your time here. May you and your family have a safe and happy holiday season!

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    andy wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif

and i really dig the one with the iceplants :D

Thanks Andy! They are some real cool plants. We didn't get any of these back home & I didn't know what they were at first :D

Merry Christmas!
    Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    Duarte's has the best artichoke soup. And fresh pie...

If you're headed out of Carmel and want to stay at a comfy little oceanside
    spot, try the town of Lucia. Just outside of Big Sur.

Ian
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Am I the only person who thinks there is too much saturation and/or too much blue?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited December 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Am I the only person who thinks there is too much saturation and/or too much blue?

It could be your monitor. On my display, yours look a little flat...

The increase saturation is from a Digital Velvia action I used. It kinda bumps color & saturation. I don't know where the blue tint would be coming from? I don't see it on my monitor...hell, it could be my monitor.

Thats the trouble w/ viewing pics online. Everyone sees something different.

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Duarte's has the best artichoke soup. And fresh pie...

If you're headed out of Carmel and want to stay at a comfy little oceanside
    spot, try the town of Lucia. Just outside of Big Sur.

Ian

Thanks for the tip on the soup & lodging. I'm trying to find the best combination between quality & price...

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    Photo Secrets is a great book, hard to miss
    I just bought a guide book on San Francisco & northern CA. There is so much to do around here that I didn't even know existed.
    Dave[/QUOTE]

I have to find my Photo Secrets, I like how they tell you the time of day that's best to photograph the site, and where to stand! It's pretty hard to miss getting a decent shot.

You local library should have some of the "Bay Area Backroads" books which are full of neat places to visit.

Also pick up a book on the 49 mile drive (some of the information has changed) put it's an interesting read.

Also, when you head out to Lands' End and the Cliffhouse, look to the left, there's a park with Sutro's ruins of his home. You can park on the side and walk in. There are some really neat plants there, including proteas from South Africa, there's also an interesting foundation and stairs that photograph well.

If you haven't already been, the northern end of Stowe lake has gulls, sometimes an egret or heron, and turtles that sun themselves on the logs if the seagulls will let them :-). There are huge koi in the lake, but because it's so murky you can't see them. I met a man there who had them trained to come to this one spot where he would throw in day old bread, it was so funny to see these huge mouths come and surface, take the bread and then go back under the surface.

Just south of Half Moon Bay is Martin's Beach -- used to cost $4 a car, but there are fossils embedded in the rock, a shallow place where they go clamming and these neat pointy rocks. Very photogenic and not usually too busy with people. Once you drive down and park, someone will come and collect the money. There was a small store that sold some soda, etc.

If you park at the Cowell Ranch State Beach and walk to the coast you can see seals hauled out I believe to the south. There's an interesting whale gate made of iron on the way down.

Here's a site with some suggestions too: http://www.bahiker.com/index.html

http://www.halfmoonbaychamber.org/visiting_hmb/points_of_int.html

http://www.halfmoonbaychamber.org/visiting_hmb/beaches.html

The Half Moon Bay links have loads of places to go. Don't miss Gray Whale Cove, Montara State Beach, Fitzgerald Marine Reserve (tide pools, check for low tide before you go, and there are hiking trails on the bluff through these old stands of trees, neat shadows in the afternoon. I believe the trail actually goes to the Moss Beach Distillery, good eats (not cheap) great views, but I'd drive to the Distillery first to get your bearings.

The Montara Lighthouse and Youth Hostel is a fantastic place to stay and inexpensive. The grounds are open to the public only in the morning and afternoon, check the site for times. My eldest daughter got married there!

These websites should keep you busy!

It's a very pretty area -- dont' miss Ano Nuevo either, or for free if you drive down to the San Simeon area you can see the elephant seals hauled out on the beach all year round except October. There is a new boardwalk, and docents, signs and free parking. Can't beat that. Cambria is a neat town and has lodging and is nearby for an overnight stay.

So if you're still reading :-) We stayed in Seaside, It wasn't Motel 6 but some similar chain. I'd rather spend my money on gas and food than an expensive motel room, but that's just us. The best place to stay is Asilomar if you can wangle it. Call and ask -- if they have rooms available they might make a reservation for you. When you wake up the deer are walking the grounds, and the beach is just steps away. You sleep under the trees though in rustic rooms. Part of the charm.

Butterflies, Pacific Grove if you go to the Carmel - Monterey area and in Santa Cruz if you just want a day trip. The best butterfly site is Pismo Beach, another great weekend getaway area. I could go on and on, Laughing.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

The colors seem very highly saturated to me Charles. They look lovely but Very saturated - way beyond Kodachrome and yes the sky is very intensely blue with some blue overtones in the greens perhaps.
    I am viewing with an Apple 23 in Cinema display calibrated by the Apple software that comes with the Mac and it seems very spot on for editing and printing with great agreement between my monitor and prints from my Epson printer with the Epson paper profiles. The monitor accepts images from my Windows machine that has been calibrated with a EZ- color photometer and there is good agreement between my Windows monitor and my Cinema display
    so I believe they are pretty accurate.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 25, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    I just bought a guide book on San Francisco & northern CA. There is so much to do around here that I didn't even know existed.
    Dave

I have to find my Photo Secrets, I like how they tell you the time of day that's best to photograph the site, and where to stand! It's pretty hard to miss getting a decent shot.

You local library should have some of the "Bay Area Backroads" books which are full of neat places to visit.

Also pick up a book on the 49 mile drive (some of the information has changed) put it's an interesting read.

Also, when you head out to Lands' End and the Cliffhouse, look to the left, there's a park with Sutro's ruins of his home. You can park on the side and walk in. There are some really neat plants there, including proteas from South Africa, there's also an interesting foundation and stairs that photograph well.

If you haven't already been, the northern end of Stowe lake has gulls, sometimes an egret or heron, and turtles that sun themselves on the logs if the seagulls will let them :-). There are huge koi in the lake, but because it's so murky you can't see them. I met a man there who had them trained to come to this one spot where he would throw in day old bread, it was so funny to see these huge mouths come and surface, take the bread and then go back under the surface.

Just south of Half Moon Bay is Martin's Beach -- used to cost $4 a car, but there are fossils embedded in the rock, a shallow place where they go clamming and these neat pointy rocks. Very photogenic and not usually too busy with people. Once you drive down and park, someone will come and collect the money. There was a small store that sold some soda, etc.

If you park at the Cowell Ranch State Beach and walk to the coast you can see seals hauled out I believe to the south. There's an interesting whale gate made of iron on the way down.

Here's a site with some suggestions too: http://www.bahiker.com/index.html

http://www.halfmoonbaychamber.org/visiting_hmb/points_of_int.html

http://www.halfmoonbaychamber.org/visiting_hmb/beaches.html

The Half Moon Bay links have loads of places to go. Don't miss Gray Whale Cove, Montara State Beach, Fitzgerald Marine Reserve (tide pools, check for low tide before you go, and there are hiking trails on the bluff through these old stands of trees, neat shadows in the afternoon. I believe the trail actually goes to the Moss Beach Distillery, good eats (not cheap) great views, but I'd drive to the Distillery first to get your bearings.

The Montara Lighthouse and Youth Hostel is a fantastic place to stay and inexpensive. The grounds are open to the public only in the morning and afternoon, check the site for times. My eldest daughter got married there!

These websites should keep you busy!

It's a very pretty area -- dont' miss Ano Nuevo either, or for free if you drive down to the San Simeon area you can see the elephant seals hauled out on the beach all year round except October. There is a new boardwalk, and docents, signs and free parking. Can't beat that. Cambria is a neat town and has lodging and is nearby for an overnight stay.

So if you're still reading :-) We stayed in Seaside, It wasn't Motel 6 but some similar chain. I'd rather spend my money on gas and food than an expensive motel room, but that's just us. The best place to stay is Asilomar if you can wangle it. Call and ask -- if they have rooms available they might make a reservation for you. When you wake up the deer are walking the grounds, and the beach is just steps away. You sleep under the trees though in rustic rooms. Part of the charm.

Butterflies, Pacific Grove if you go to the Carmel - Monterey area and in Santa Cruz if you just want a day trip. The best butterfly site is Pismo Beach, another great weekend getaway area. I could go on and on, Laughing.gif

Another amazing post here Dee! I'm going to print these two out & put them in my book.

I'm familiar with San Francisco, but clueless to anything outside the city. I appreciate all your help. This will definitely keep me busy for awhile.

Now I just need to wait for the rain to stop. Its in the forecast for every day this week!

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    The colors seem very highly saturated to me Charles. They look lovely but Very saturated - way beyond Kodachrome and yes the sky is very intensely blue with some blue overtones in the greens perhaps.
    I am viewing with an Apple 23 in Cinema display calibrated by the Apple software that comes with the Mac and it seems very spot on for editing and printing with great agreement between my monitor and prints from my Epson printer with the Epson paper profiles. The monitor accepts images from my Windows machine that has been calibrated with a EZ- color photometer and there is good agreement between my Windows monitor and my Cinema display
    so I believe they are pretty accurate.
    Yes that is what I am seeing on my Mac PB17.
    edited December 25, 2004
    I think some are missing the point here. These colors were supposed to be very saturated. I used a Velvia plugin on most of the photos, w/ settings of +1 to +3.

My original response to charles was concerning the blue cast, as I don't see it on my monitor, or in the prints. I ran a few off to send back home to family.

The pictures and story are for enjoyment, and to help pass time. They are not a 1 for 1 reproduction of the color, or a documentary on Coastline color profiles in the Winter.

I'm just trying to enjoy the photography & share some stories along the way.

Even if you don't like the colors, I hope you enjoyed the story :D It's tough spending holidays alone, and this trip made me happy. The vibrant colors seem to help pick up my mood a little.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 26, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I think some are missing the point here. These colors were supposed to be very saturated. I used a Velvia plugin on most of the photos, w/ settings of +1 to +3.

My original response to charles was concerning the blue cast, as I don't see it on my monitor, or in the prints. I ran a few off to send back home to family.

The pictures and story are for enjoyment, and to help pass time. They are not a 1 for 1 reproduction of the color, or a documentary on Coastline color profiles in the Winter.

Even if you don't like the colors, I hope you enjoyed the story :D It's tough spending holidays alone, and this trip made me happy. The vibrant colors seem to help pick up my mood a little.

Thanks,
    Dave

I am sorry if you interpretated my answer to Charles as criticism - It certainly was not, nor was it intended to be critical in any manner. I was merely saying that my monitor and his seem in sync. - Perhaps I should have answered him by PM.
    I stated that the color was an artistic choice not necessarily an accurate representation. Again Dave, I am sorry if my comments were thought to be critical, they were to be informative, not critical.

I enjoyed looking at your pictures and envied you the day. I am sorrry if you are spending the holidays alone - I understand that that is not the happiest way to spend the holiday and I did not realize that was the situation when I posted. I have not been down highway 1 in years and enjoyed seeing the sites again. I spent some happy time at Pescadero Beach while a student in Palo Alto years ago.

It was 4 below zero here last night and is still cold and overcast today. I did find a dog playing ball in the snow late this afternoon who seemed blissfully happy to chase an old Rutt-green colored tennis ball.
    13196715-M.jpg

13196718-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 26, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Thanks,
    Dave
    I was just concerned about my viewing since they seemed rich enough to have caused comment. I am also spending the holidays mostly alone. Come to Boston and visit if you like.
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Snow is not an easy thing to have in pictures. Neither is a dog darker than 18% gray. You did good!
    edited December 26, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the tip on the soup & lodging. I'm trying to find the best combination between quality & price...

Dave
    I stayed, mid-week, in Morro Bay a few weeks back for $59/night--comfy
    room with a fireplace and a view of the rock. Bay View Lodge.

ian
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Dave,

1. Nice photos, and story.
    2. Don't be too sensitive. :D Most people here are not being over critical or demeaning, but expresing a view. We can't see our photos with others eyes. Only they can do that. We may or may not agree, but without the input we may not even consider the question.

I can like a photo, yet still find flaws. I can like / respect the phoyographer yet not like a particular photo. I may not like the photographer, yet can acknowledge their fine photograph.

Whitout some form of critical input how will we get better?

3. We should get together one of these weekends and photograph the coast together. There are numerous spots along the coast. You can easily take a day to go from Half Moon bay to Santa Cruz and still miss a ton!

I have included a shot from Bean Hollow. Just up the coast from Pigion Point Lighthouse.

Dee,

Great info posts!!!

I have printed them out and will match them up on a map later.
    edited December 26, 2004
    Great Harbor Seal photo!
    Dee,

Great info posts!!!

I have printed them out and will match them up on a map later.[/QUOTE]

Love the Harbor seal shot! Glad the info was of use. We headed down the coast and the wind was brutal! At Pillar Point Harbor there were whitecaps! Unheard of! Laughing.gif. The poor sea gulls didn't know what to do.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Dave - great stuff. Thanks for the virtual-visit.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    Duartes Tavern is the local hot spot for food and drink, or you can pick up stuff at the local Muzzi's Deli.

Duartes! I love it. Hot artichoke soup and fresh snapper and chips. Mmmm. I need to get out there again...it's been too long.

http://www.duartestavern.com/

Your images definitely seem to have a Velvia 50 feel to them. Very warm oranges and reds, with very cool blues. I shot a lot of Velvia in my film days, and quite honestly...I never really liked it that much rolleyes1.gif, however if you like Velvia, your images definitely resemble it.

Just to spread the "wealth", I also agree that Charles' images seem a little flat. However, most of them have a very unique style, and I think that's cool.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited December 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Duartes! I love it. Hot artichoke soup and fresh snapper and chips. Mmmm. I need to get out there again...it's been too long.

http://www.duartestavern.com/

Your images definitely seem to have a Velvia 50 feel to them. Very warm oranges and reds, with very cool blues. I shot a lot of Velvia in my film days, and quite honestly...I never really liked it that much rolleyes1.gif, however if you like Velvia, your images definitely resemble it.

Just to spread the "wealth", I also agree that Charles' images seem a little flat. However, most of them have a very unique style, and I think that's cool.
    I admit to not liking to, either 'overly' sharpen or saturate and that the 'overly' part is a matter of personal taste. Never really thought of myself as having "a very unique style" so thanks.