Death Valley

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited February 15, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm going to be driving out to Death Valley this weekend with my son. I've never been out there, and I'm looking for any and all suggestions.

Shooting locations (although it's primarily a trip to spend time with my son, not to shoot), and any other info y'all have. :D

Thanks!
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Oh, and maybe Red Rock Canyon?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm going to be driving out to Death Valley this weekend with my son. I've never been out there, and I'm looking for any and all suggestions.

Shooting locations (although it's primarily a trip to spend time with my son, not to shoot), and any other info y'all have. :D

Thanks!

1) The dunes right next to the road at Stovepipe Wells. Hike out a ways. Be there for sunrise. It's amazing.

2) Drive a short distance past Bad Water and walk out on the lake bed (hopefully it's dry). The salt crystals are amazing.

3) Zabrisky Point - Sunrise or sunset can be good here, especially it you've got clouds.

4) Racetrack Playa - it's quite a drive that can be difficult on your car tires, but it's a cool place. The road might be closed if they've had any recent storms. You might want to skip it if you don't have new tires and a very good spare. We had a caravan of 10 cars last November and 3 got flat tires. We passed a few people changing flats as well.

Death Valley is a big place and there are a lot of good places to see. The first three I list are all easy access and close together. You could hit the dunes at sunrise, then go just past Bad Water to see the salt crystals, all before 10am or so. While over by Bad Water you could check out the Artists Drive and Devils Golf Course (I didn't have a chance to see either but I hear they are nice). Next hit Zabrisky Point for sunset.

We've got a four day weekend too and we were thinking about DV, but everything was booked so we decided on Joshua Tree instead.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Oh, and maybe Red Rock Canyon?
    If it is cloudy explore the Artist Palette, which is a series of colored dirt hills. Makes for nice patterns. The location which is a must experience is Bad Water. However, I like to walk out, way out maybe two miles and get a feel for the space, especially on a clear day. It would be fun to use your son as a model for scale! On the way out you could visit the less traveled Panamint dunes.

Weather ought to be perfect this weekend!
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Lucky,

The areas that I like the most was Zabriskie Point and 20 Mule Canyon. The area is just amazing during sunrise. It's a great place to hike around and explore.

Which Red Rock Canyon are you going to, the one in Nevada or California?

Well anyways your going to have great time.

Mikko
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    David,
    Will you please post some of your pictures ? ... :D
    thumb.gif
    Have a nice time. Drive safelythumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook