Options

Lighthouse Fly-by

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited May 2, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Was plunking around the tidepools yesterday and caught this fella!

IMG_2973-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,177 moderator
    edited April 23, 2015
    Good catch! What lighthouse is that?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    This is an awesome composition, at the perfect moment! Couldn't be better. I love the white surf, the rich color of the rock, the stateliness of the lighthouse, and the intrigue of the helicopter. Perfect.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2015
    Nice! I would like bit more bottom/water.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Good catch! What lighthouse is that?

This is Yaquina Head, just north of Newport, OR.
    CCoop wrote: »
    This is an awesome composition, at the perfect moment! Couldn't be better. I love the white surf, the rich color of the rock, the stateliness of the lighthouse, and the intrigue of the helicopter. Perfect.

Thanks Coop! I was happy to be present-minded when I heard the hum of the helicopter. Sometimes I suppose the universe tosses us a bone, and it's up to us to jump up and catch it.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice! I would like bit more bottom/water.

Can't say that every day...rolleyes1.gif I kid, I kid. I actually wish there was a little more water in the scene as well. Another one of those times when I'm thinking, "Sh**...I need a tripod or a monopod and about 3 more seconds!!"

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    Monopod is like caffeine free coffee.....useless.
    Light tripod (makes it easier to carry, and usually heavy lenses are zoom lenses but most of their use is hand held.....unless you buy 600mm+)
    Try out the heads before purchasing in the shop.....so you are comfortable with it (tripod legs can be purchased separately).
    I recommend legs with snapping locks.....hate to rotate various pieces.....
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Monopod is like caffeine free coffee.....useless.
    Light tripod (makes it easier to carry, and usually heavy lenses are zoom lenses but most of their use is hand held.....unless you buy 600mm+)
    Try out the heads before purchasing in the shop.....so you are comfortable with it (tripod legs can be purchased separately).
    I recommend legs with snapping locks.....hate to rotate various pieces.....

I've got to disagree with my buddy Taz about monopods. I've used one of them very successfully for years. They're like any other ancillary tool we have.....the more you use them, the better you become at maximizing their potential. They were never intended to replace a tripod. But they bring a usefulness and a dimension for success that should never be overlooked. I don't know of a single advanced photographer ( Taz excepted ) that hasn't used one when appropriate. They've saved my bacon more than once...and I've got three tripods, ranging from very light to one you could beat King Kong to death with.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Really nice capture JBR! clap.gif
    For me, I would like it just as much without the copter.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited May 1, 2015
    I've got to disagree with my buddy Taz about monopods. I've used one of them very successfully for years. They're like any other ancillary tool we have.....the more you use them, the better you become at maximizing their potential. They were never intended to replace a tripod. But they bring a usefulness and a dimension for success that should never be overlooked. I don't know of a single advanced photographer ( Taz excepted ) that hasn't used one when appropriate. They've saved my bacon more than once...and I've got three tripods, ranging from very light to one you could beat King Kong to death with.

Tom

Based on that endorsement, I have to evaluate my own judgment!
    Hope you are recovering well buddy!
    I WANT to see more of your shots!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2015
    I bought a tripod that allows for one leg to double as a monopod. I've used it in both formats and love them both. As Tom mentioned, there have been times a monopod was just right. I like to keep the ball assembly a tad bit loose, so as to behave like a swivel neck of sorts. This way, I can crouch, lean, etc against the monopod for stability...kinda like an added anchor point. In the photo I posted, a monopod would've eliminated some of my concentration being spent on stabilization, allowing me to concentrate more on framing.

Or, I could just learn to shoot better free-hand. lol