Mini-Challenge #191: Music and Sound

Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 19, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thank you Jack (jmphotocraft) for running and also for choosing me as the winner of your Dramatic Summer Weather Challenge - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=248222

A new challenge - "Music and Sound" - OK a bit of a risk as this might be a bit of a narrow and unusual subject with possibly few entries.

One of my other passions in life is music, composing and also digital sound design and sound engineering. I don't claim to be any good at it and I have realised that I do not take many "music" or "sound" related photographs and would be curious in seeing if anyone else does.

I love music related photos - instruments or other music reproduction equipment, or anything designed to make a sound - chimes etc. Also musician's playing, children learning to play, concerts etc.

But additionally the sound engineer in me is also really curious to see if a photograph can strongly convey the idea of a sound - a yell, crash, bang, roar, tinkle or other perhaps more delicate sounds.

The "music" photos can be either static or live performance, but I must stress that a "sound" photograph must really carry the sound, be very obvious the sound is being made and I need to hear it in my mind when viewing the photograph. A stylish static shot of a car engine titled "Vroom" will not cut it I'm afraid, because although I don't mind seeing them it does not convey that a sound is actually being made.

Use your imagination - with any music related photograph or a "photograph of a sound".

Due to its narrow nature I'll set a relatively short turnaround of two weeks - closure 19th Aug, 12pm BST (Blighty Summer time).

Good luck

Alan.
Here are the unofficial rules ...

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

More advice on posting can also be found here ...
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=248032

Here are a few examples of my efforts ...

Ebony and Ivory
IMG_1502-Edit-XL.jpg

Bass Man
IMG_7692-2-XL.jpg

The Drummer
IMG_9494-XL.jpg

Bloop!
IMG_0792-Edit-3-XL.jpg

Bang!
IMG_9689-XL.jpg

Comments

• kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    #1 Tropical Music
    14march_untitled_158-L.jpg

#2 CRASH!
    14march_untitled_102-L.jpg

#3 Chain Saw
    14july_untitled_154-L.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Excellent idea Alan!

After the Music Stopped
    When%20the%20Music%20Stopped-XL.jpg

Junkpile Blues
    Chord-XL.jpg

Parade Rest
    Parade%20Rest-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    I love the entries so far. I have nothing as good, but maybe something different

I have what I think is a really nice photo of someone who was doing the 'board' at a concert, but the best picture has his face, but not what he was doing - just his face. The photo with what he's doing doesn't have his face as he is looking down.

IMG_0332.JPGIMG_0333.JPG

So in place of that - A cold day in December on the levee in New Orleans

x100_3554.JPG

I have two photos of hula dancers but one of them the dancer is blocking the guitar player, so I'll give you this one instead.

100_6044.JPG

And last (under the category of noise) - this rooster was at the County Fair and was crowing fairly frequently. I wanted to get a photo of him crowing, and when I did, I found that his eyes got all milky when he was at peak crow - they were normal at other times. I thought this was interesting. I got a bit too close unfortunately.

IMG_4570.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Used in a previous gig, but made me think of McEnroe or Murray, as soon as it appeared on the monitor :)
    (more 'noise' I suspect than t'other two)

pp

3X1C9899_720_zpsdb3ba6f3.jpg
  • DeborahLDeborahL Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    Violins
    I like the motion in the bow hands.

Chicago-12014062701-L.jpg
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    Is there anything more musical than Mardi Gras in New Orleans?! wings.gif:D
    I was pretty buzzed when I took these and I risked life and limb being so close to the ground on Bourbon Street!! :D:D

an7o8420smallB2-L.jpg

an7o7857ssmallB2-L.jpg

an7o8170ssmallB2-L.jpg
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2014
    Here is just for fun entries. Please do not consider them in your judging. I certainly hope more entries come in as this is a great theme!

1. Make a joyful noise
    JMMa7665-L.jpg

2. We represent the lollipop guild...
    JMM_4710ed-L.jpg

3. Splish Slash!
    JMM_7396ed-L.jpg
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    Hi Joyce,

Thanks for the contribution - great shots as always.

Yes, it's a shame not to have a few more entries

Alan.
    edited August 18, 2014
    This competition will be closing tomorrow (19th Aug) , so if anyone is thinking of possibly submitting then don't hesitate.

Alan.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2014
    1 - Splish, Splash
    P1170439-L.jpg

2 - Plink
    P1640167BW1-L.jpg

3 - Stormfront

P1360824Crop3Adjust-L.jpg
    edited August 19, 2014
    This competition is now closed.

I'll post the results on a separate thread as soon as I can.

Alan