Unofficial Engagement Session

idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Weddings
Hey all,

I did an informal, unofficial engagement session for a friend of mine, here are a few of the photos, i'm looking for some criticism. :)

1) Starting the session, it was actual smiles and happiness so i grabbed it.
RFK_001.jpg

2) Bad placement because of the bench in the background? Cloned out, left there?
RFK_002.jpg

3) Another fun one with legit smiles.
RFK_003.jpg

4) I kind of wanted to see how much i could saturate a picture to make it vibrant, but maybe I went too far?
RFK_004.jpg

5) This was their idea, kinda funky. haha.
RFK_005.jpg

6) Good thing that branch was laying there.
RFK_006.jpg

7) I kinda liked that her reflection is in his sunglasses. However I had that backfire on a BUNCH of shots with sunglasses, that I didn't actually see through the viewfinder. :(
RFK_007.jpg

8) Overlooking the river.
RFK_008.jpg

9) This one just really really really fit the couple. haha. :D
RFK_009.jpg

10) Maybe they are a bit too out of focus? Kind of makes a neat photo though.
RFK_010.jpg

11) Just realized that I chopped the top of the fountain, and that he didn't actually put his sunglasses down.
RFK_011.jpg

12) Phewf.. After a long hard shoot??? haha.
RFK_012.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my photos.

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    The good - you did a good job of capturing the emotion/love/fun of this couple. That's something that's not easy to do. thumb.gif

Now for the not so pleasant comments:

The bad - many of othes photos lack pop and contrast. You might want to learn a little more about post processing.

The ugly - you have blown out skies in a number of these. You need (1) watch your backgrounds and (2) learn about fill flash (whether you choose on-camera or off-camera fill is completely up to you and is a matter of taste).
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Agree with Scott on the emotional captures. Work on proper exposure on the technique side. Choose backgrounds that won't distract from your subjects. Often times simply looking through the viewfinder will reveal what works and what doesn't. At first, take a little time a scope the surroundings. Look at where the light is coming from, what challenges that presents, then pose the couple in the best light. You're off to a good start.....keep shooting and learning how to get it "more right" in camera. Then the post processing won't be such a task.:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552