5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited October 17, 2012 in Cameras
I'll be picking up my 5D Mark III today. :barb This evening I will report back to my fellow Dgrinners with pics and a short review. Post your first 24hr reviews as well! Let's share the love with those who are on the fence about a 5D Mark III purchase! :wink

On Wednesday I was on location in Bristol Bay, Alaska. My primary role was videography, but these are some stills I managed to squeeze in. Everything was shot on the 5D3 with the 16-35II & 70-200II. All shot at mRAW and processed in Canon DPP. There are a few in camera HDR's as well. The highest ISO you'll find is 12800. I shot all day on Aperture priority. The 5D3 metering is quite good. AF performance is better than any of the 1D series cameras I have used recently. You don't even think about it, which is a huge departure from the 5D2 experience.

As I have mentioned before: The 5D3 is everything I loved about my D700 plus the gorgeous sensor of the 5D series. Closest thing to a perfect camera I have ever used. The 5D2 served me well, but it will be making room for a second 5D3 in my bag very soon.

Feel free to ask questions. I am more than happy to help.

i-2ksG9Rz-L.jpg
i-VKftzr3-L.jpg
i-5gmDrkr-L.jpg
i-bnQcMGL-L.jpg
i-tn3V82W-L.jpg
i-cSG2hLx-L.jpg
i-G7GjL7t-L.jpg
i-65f3sWt-L.jpg
i-bdm6Q6X-L.jpg
i-Mxj8B2J-L.jpg
i-vzrLRK7-L.jpg
i-Z4Lz2sk-L.jpg
i-wLTn5zs-L.jpg
i-XX5SRHq-L.jpg
i-jRksKKD-L.jpg
i-HQzdTS5-L.jpg
i-J4zhb4z-L.jpg
i-Lh275mb-L.jpg
i-dHzBgJN-L.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Congratulations Josh. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Woohoo......Congrats!! I'm looking forward to your review! clap.gif

I'm still waiting for my order to be filled............
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    It's here, but I'm stuck on the phone for the rest of the day arghhhh!

20120320-pistminndxdgfxi2fsc6e3whm7.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    wow!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

Very jealous, Andy! Enjoy it - can't wait to hear your thoughts!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012

This camera is so awesome it even takes pictures through the lens cap!!

That is some seriously high ISO right there. Suck it Nikon!

;-)

my camera store called me to say it could be here by the end of the week. meanwhile I am also waiting for some slides to be developed.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I've tried with Andy. I covered all the basics like the on/off switch and removing the lens cap with him but its just doesn't take.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 20, 2012
    Let the fun begin clap.gif

Obviously, my appeal to Andy about the free access to my personal underground tunnel system connecting all the National Parks, in exchange for his number one position in line at Tallyn's was unsuccessful, as Andy still got the first one. But I am happy for him, and all you new adopters. I will wait until a firmware upgrade and lens rebates begin (probably late summer).

There is a very active discussion at another popular, mostly Canon oriented forum, about the importance of the new version of DPP and it's DLO lens correction for any recent Canon body with 25 or so of Canon's popular better lenses. So I would encourage anyone with the new camera to also give DPP and DLO a go and also try to report back on how corner sharpness increases with the new software as well.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited March 20, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I've tried with Andy. I covered all the basics like the on/off switch and removing the lens cap with him but its just doesn't take.

rolleyes1.gif Good one, Harry!
    My Smugmug
    edited March 20, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »

it's kinda cool to shoot at ISO 25600.
    I will take more test shots, today's been a killer with lots going on at Smuggy so I had no time to use the camera - did manage to do a quick series so you can see ISO 100 up to 25600.

i-j8Q98pd-X3.jpg
    edited March 20, 2012

Wow it's beautiful!!! wings.gif
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    Just picked up my 5D3! I haven't even turned it on yet, but I did unwrap it and I can tell you it's a world of difference in terms of build quality and ergonomics. Got to finish up some errands, and then I'll be testing it this evening with a complete Canon lens lineup from the 16-35mm all the way up to the 800mm. So stoked!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012

That's awesome and very encouraging, but it's not exactly very low light, is it? I can't wait to see how it does in a night club or a high school basketball or hockey game.

I also can't wait to see how it does with my 35/1.4L!

5D2 + 35L, ISO 1600, f/1.4:
    IMG8678-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited March 20, 2012
    Just picked up my 5D3! I haven't even turned it on yet, but I did unwrap it and I can tell you it's a world of difference in terms of build quality and ergonomics. Got to finish up some errands, and then I'll be testing it this evening with a complete Canon lens lineup from the 16-35mm all the way up to the 800mm. So stoked!

wings.gif Yay!!! Looking forward to your feedback!!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    From one camera geek to another, I would just like to say, "welcome to the world of 'affordable flagship bodies', Canon shooters!"

(Party like it's 2008?)

Okay but seriously. I'm sure this is going to be the most well-rounded camera of this generation. Good job Canon!

...Indeed it is. The next time you're out on in the Southwest, Andy, gimme a holler and we'll have some moonlight shennanigans at f/1.4 and ISO 25600 for sure! Here's my timescapes buddies at 1 AM and 1/10 sec, hand-held, getting ready to record a drivelapse... (5D 2) Good times...

IMG2655-3-3.jpg

The results: http://vimeo.com/36182489

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited March 20, 2012
    The results: http://vimeo.com/36182489
    =Matt=

Thanks, Matthew! Added to my bookmark of time lapser's.
    My Smugmug
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012

Obviously, my appeal to Andy about the free access to my personal underground tunnel system connecting all the National Parks, in exchange for his number one position in line at Tallyn's was unsuccessful, as Andy still got the first one. But I am happy for him, and all you new adopters. I will wait until a firmware upgrade and lens rebates begin (probably late summer).

There is a very active discussion at another popular, mostly Canon oriented forum, about the importance of the new version of DPP and it's DLO lens correction for any recent Canon body with 25 or so of Canon's popular better lenses. So I would encourage anyone with the new camera to also give DPP and DLO a go and also try to report back on how corner sharpness increases with the new software as well.

I'm afraid you got one on me here with all the DPP DlO, IOU stuff... Would you be kind enough to Splain to this poor ignorant white boy... I thank you in advance...
    thumb.gif
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
    edited March 21, 2012
    Doug, Canon cams ship with their Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software and some other utilities. In previous versions of DPP, the software can duplicate the camera's ability to slightly correct deficiencies in certain Canon lenses, through profiles, resulting in clearer shots. Chromatic aberrations, barrel and pincushion distortion and vignetting are some such correctible situations. This is Canon's version of what Lightroom, DxO and Adobe can already do. Presumably, Canon has more info on their own lenses than do third part software companies.

Now, in the newest shipping version of DPP, Canon has added a new module named DLO, or Digital Lens Optimization. Think of this addition as a lens refinement kit on steroids, with super-strength and black magic rolled into one. This is not a switch in the camera body setup, but purely a software solution to rewrite the RAW files, in post, with even more critical adjustments to them. There is a profile for about 25 of Canon's most popular lenses (mostly L lenses) that need to be downloaded following installing the new DPP. Each lens is specific. You download each profile as you need them.

Initial results have been stunning. What one thinks of a nearly perfect lens, such as a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, can be improved noticeably - mostly in the corners. This is important if you shoot with a lens that has some great IQ already, like a 24-105, but has major difficulty in the corners, fully wide, and at, say, f/4. Or has severe pincushion distortion at 105. This new DLO module does some major mojo magic.

No doubt, many won't ever load DPP, much less use it, as they import their RAW images into LR or PS/ACR and make a go from there. One might want to think twice about that work flow on critical images, especially if printed large, or when used to stitch together into a larger image. Corners then matter much more.

And, dare I say, the images I've been seeing so far have made me think that for those lusting after a Nikon 14-24G super-lens and adaptor, one might be able to put down that check book, and just go for a 14 or 15 prime instead. A thousand dollars saved. Canon's DLO is free.

Need more? This software works on Canon DSLR bodies going back to the 40D, or about 3.5 years, and covers most of their common lenses (but no 3rd party ones, obviously).

DPP ver. 3.11.10.0 is not yet on the Canon USA site. Give it a couple weeks. It is available now through 3rd party websites, mostly European or Asian. New DPP ships with the 5DIII and the 1DX.

Some other new additions in the new release are:
    * Multiple exposure module (yeah, who cares), and
    * Version one of an HDR tab, which has presets (mostly wild art types) and one "natural" setting, plus sliders for strength. This might also be fairly useless.

The only niggle so far is that it wants to overwrite and re-save the RAW file to about double the size, so don't use it tethered via USB. Save the files to the computer first, and maybe duplicate the RAW files you want to test in another directory. Read the manual, which is already downloadable in PDF form at Canon USA. The RAW file size thing is a bit disturbing, but there seems to be a LOT of stuff it does to a file, so a fast computer seems to be a must as well. While this community is great, the POTN thread on this has been huge, and many test shots are being posted, and pixel peeping is a must in this instance. See iriches post #73 there, for what it can do on a corner. :wow

I'm going to give it a whirl with my 40D in a couple weeks, if I can install it over 3.8 on my Mac.
    My Smugmug
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Everything I was hoping for and more. :D 12800 ISO is looks amazing, AF is worlds better, ergonomics and build quality is right up there with the 1 Series bodies. Will post a few photos soon. Packing for a shoot in Bristol Bay tomorrow. I'll share that when it's ready as well. Should be a perfect gig to break in the new 5D3.
    edited March 21, 2012
    Any one expecting to buy the grip, when it becomes available?
    My Smugmug
    edited March 21, 2012

I typically don't buy the grips. One of the reasons I went from the 1Ds Mark II to the 5D original years ago was the form factor and size.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I typically don't buy the grips. One of the reasons I went from the 1Ds Mark II to the 5D original years ago was the form factor and size.

Landscape / lightweight photographers, unite! Vertical grips are for insecure people who need to compensate for something... :_P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Landscape / lightweight photographers, unite! Vertical grips are for insecure people who need to compensate for something... :_P

=Matt=

Aww dont be so hard on the chimpers around here Matt. I would be lost only for my grip as it balances the 5d2 in my hand using a 24-70 and gives me extra power for my video work.
    Raising a glass of the finest Irish Whiskey here to all of you new 5d3 owners with a big cheer. Here is hoping that all your wishes come true. Like many more here i am sitting on the sidelines waiting for results and i will be keeping my eyes peeled on this tread.
    Kind regards
    Paddy the Irishman.
  • nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    I love the extra grip of the battery pack.
    Shooting action with long lenses I find it way easier to handle.
    Only time i take it off is if I am shooting HDR on a tripod. It is a much more secure mount direct to the body.
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    David... Wow... thanks so much for taking your time to write your above post... Wow again... great info...

If I understood you correctly one would process the images 1st using the DPP/DLO and then import into lightroom?
    If it is a fast process I would use it... Double the file size?... now that's one to think about... I guess one would have to see the results and then consider to use the SW.
    If all this made a huge difference I might consider using it on some family portraits or on some special pano's but probably not for my candids...

I'll stay tuned to this thread... it is very informative... thank you all...

Now for the good news... I too am looking to upgrade to the III... calling my dealer in a few to see what he has on hand... I just have to have new toys...lol
    Has anyone had any experience with the new ... what is it... the 24-300 L lens? I really do hate changing lenses... Anyone have any experience...opinions on the lens?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    OK, so should I cancel my pre-order on a 1Dx and buy a 5DIII? I still have a 1D4 for pro sports work, and I am thinking that the 5DIII might be a very good companion. I shoot all kinds of non-sports stuff as well, so want the image quality of the 5D Series.

Decisions decisions...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 21, 2012
    ... 12800 ISO is looks amazing, AF is worlds better, ...
    jhefti wrote: »
    OK, so should I cancel my pre-order on a 1Dx and buy a 5DIII? I still have a 1D4 for pro sports work, and I am thinking that the 5DIII might be a very good companion. I shoot all kinds of non-sports stuff as well, so want the image quality of the 5D Series.

Decisions decisions...

It's looking better for the Canon 5D MKIII for sports than it did for the 5D MKII. I would still like to hear more confirmation of the AF improvements from others.

The 5D MKII is still well suited for non-sports/action.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It's looking better for the Canon 5D MKIII for sports than it did for the 5D MKII. I would still like to hear more confirmation of the AF improvements from others.

The 5D MKII is still well suited for non-sports/action.

I use my 5DII for sports, and agree it is a pain. Beautiful images when they turn out, but the AF is very limited. I am curious to hear what others have to say about the improved AF of the Mark III.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012

Yep. As soon as it comes...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 21, 2012
    Chris Handley, user "CMHHK" on Flickr, has apparently been communicating with David Taylor-Hughes. Chris says, (of the Canon 5D MKIII):

"... 3hrs of shooting pre schoolers running around a playground confirmed a tick in the 3rd and final box which for me makes the MKIII the perfect go to camera which I know will deliver the results I need; this is good news for me."

From this page, with links to the 5D MKIII playground images:

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2012/03/canon-5d-mk-iii-samples.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums