Frame Fillers - How To

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    CASowers wrote: »
    I put your tutorial to use during the recent prom season. Thank you for sharing!

I like the colors and framing. Her expressions are fantastic....she is having a great time!

The lighting is a tad hot.... especially on #2.

Thanks for sharing. Keep up the great work!thumb.gif
    edited July 22, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Mind if I share? Here's my little kid shot with a 50mm f/1.8D nikon lens. Light was coming from the main door at the right inside KFC resto. Aperture was set at f/4.5 at 1/30 second using my Nikon D70. I'm about 2 feet away from him. B&W conversion using LR and Photoshop.

REALLY nice capture of a GREAT looking kid. thumb.gif

Thank you for sharing here!:D
    edited July 22, 2011
    One thing I have experienced through this "Frame Filler Learning Process" is my brain/eye's difficulty in letting me shoot tight enough. I found it quite difficult to frame the subject tight enough to achieve jeffreaux2's look and feel. For some reason it just went against all the "portraiture" rules I as an old timer had drilled in my head. I guess they are right when they say that it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

What I have found that brings me the results I finally have become happy with is that when I think I'm tight enough, get a little bit tighter.

This is the first "Frame Filler" that I am completely happy with. Except for the slight softness in eye on the right.

Ahhhh, getting in tight is easier for me than learning to leave plenty of room for any possible crop option. I remember my first customer....when she wanted an 8x10 of a full length shot where Id cropped too tight. I was barely able to give her a 5x7. Yikes.

It comes natural now....but REALLY required some work to get to that point.deal.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    The "frame filler" shot is one of my favorites, too, but I don't always nail it! I tend to get too far above or to the side, which pushes the irises too far away from the center of the whites. I kinda liked this one, though, one of a series grabbed with my Lensbaby. The DOFwas actually too shallow, and most of the set suffered from missed focal points (I'm RUBBISH at manual focusing, and really need to remember to leave the f4 disk in the LB so I have a little more room to play), but this one nailed both eyes and I kinda liked it.

i-LbpX8nG-L.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    The "frame filler" shot is one of my favorites, too, but I don't always nail it! I tend to get too far above or to the side, which pushes the irises too far away from the center of the whites. I kinda liked this one, though, one of a series grabbed with my Lensbaby. The DOFwas actually too shallow, and most of the set suffered from missed focal points (I'm RUBBISH at manual focusing, and really need to remember to leave the f4 disk in the LB so I have a little more room to play), but this one nailed both eyes and I kinda liked it.

Diva,

I LOVE this shot! clap.gif She looks beautiful...and about 20! eek7.gif I like your processing here, too. And I think the LB was quite effective. I've thought about picking one of those up. They look fun.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Thanks for the write up, Jeff. I just started thinking about going into senior photography and I'm realizing that I have to shift my way of thinking, in terms of composition. Gave me some food for thought. Thanks again :)
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    i-LbpX8nG-L.jpg

Probably THE BEST image I've seen of your daughter. It's a hanger. thumb.gif
    edited August 9, 2011
    Awww, thanks Elaine and Buggs! I really enjoyed working on this one - it took a fair bit of processing, but I liked the result so much I even saved it as a preset thumb.gif. I will admit that the processing was inspired by some of our illustrious wedding 'togs (blnearle and tenoverthenose I'm looking at you.............. :D) The only thing think I might tweak is to add some bokeh-brush "highlights" to the bg - with the increased exposure it loses a bit of texture :)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    What is this f8 of which people speak? headscratch.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

I'm with you - to me, "f4" is stopped WAY down (I seem to shoot at 2.2-3.5 a lot, according to my exifs) thumb.gif

Shooting with a 200mm at 2.8 in close as a frame filler, you'll get one eye in focus and the other eye out....stopping down to f/8 will put the entire face in focus and still blur the background...its all a matter of distance to focal length but if you like half of a face O F then 2.8 is the way to go.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited August 12, 2011
    Swartzy wrote: »
    Shooting with a 200mm at 2.8 in close as a frame filler, you'll get one eye in focus and the other eye out....stopping down to f/8 will put the entire face in focus and still blur the background...its all a matter of distance to focal length but if you like half of a face O F then 2.8 is the way to go.

Ah... but my longest lens is a 135 rolleyes1.gif. Seriously, for 2 sharp eyes with that lens I go to 3.2 (sometimes f4), and it's just about right for a shallow dof portrait.

Your point is a good one, though - the appropriate aperture is ALWAYS going to be a combination of elements (light, distance to subject, focal length, how much of the shot needs to be in focus etc etc), and no "one size fits all approach" should ever be assumed! thumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    Can't believe I have yet to post in this thread...

DSC7712-Edit-2-XL.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited August 16, 2011
    Elaine wrote: »
    Diva,

I LOVE this shot! clap.gif She looks beautiful...and about 20! eek7.gif I like your processing here, too. And I think the LB was quite effective. I've thought about picking one of those up. They look fun.

I agree with Elaine ...on all counts.

Man they sure grow up fast!
    edited August 16, 2011
    Can't believe I have yet to post in this thread...

Its a killer shot. Truely inspiring.

BUT

Ya gotta crop inb a little tighter to make it a fram filler. Shouldnt be room for hands in the frame!mwink.gif
    edited August 16, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    I agree with Elaine ...on all counts.

Man they sure grow up fast!

iloveyou.gif Thanks, Jeff. I know you've been through it, so you know what it's like watching these "cute little girls" morph into alarmingly adult teens!!

'Course, we'll proabably all still think of her like this forever (amazing it's only 2.5 years ago!!!)
    750165248_3qD35-M.jpg
    edited August 16, 2011
    iloveyou.gif Thanks, Jeff. I know you've been through it, so you know what it's like watching these "cute little girls" morph into alarmingly adult teens!!

'Course, we'll proabably all still think of her like this forever (amazing it's only 2.5 years ago!!!)

Well...sure we all think of her "like that"!!!

....no harm there rolleyes1.gif

My youngest has moved back home and will be commuting to school from here on out. Of course she also has a job....so we dont spend a whole lot of time together. Her older sister moved back into her apartment last weekend.eek7.gif

There.

Now you have something to look forward to!!!rolleyes1.gif
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Thanks for the tip.

I did the looking into the sun and opening your eyes trick with my son during a slow time at a soccer game. I liked it, next time I will try it with a clean faced boy though.

i-6BDf6BN-XL.jpg
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Jeff or any others... Which of my lens are most ideal for a frame filler? My gear is in my sig.

Should I use the 50 mm?
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I think you can do them with any but your 70-200 is probably best since the focal length will cut down on the spacial distortion of the nose and such. Very important since you're getting in tight on the face.

My Smug Site
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    MDalby wrote: »
    Jeff or any others... Which of my lens are most ideal for a frame filler? My gear is in my sig.

Should I use the 50 mm?

It can be done with the 50, but you will want to use a breath mint first. 70-200 FTW:

cynthia160-XL.jpg

110mm, f/2.8, 5DII. Although I agree with the other poster that a smaller aperture (f/5.6?) is better to get both eyes in focus. Here I got lucky that she was square to me.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited August 24, 2011
    319215_10150270245328240_658378239_7875428_5018502_n.jpg

Almost 50mm. I had the 24-70 and was at 67mm.
    edited August 24, 2011
    ringlight fail. ;-)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited August 24, 2011
    ringlight fail. ;-)

I'm not sure what you mean, lol. headscratch.gif
    edited August 24, 2011
    the light on his face is great, but the ring shaped catch lights in his eyes make him look crazy, imo.
    -Jack

edited August 24, 2011
    We actually wanted the catch lights. The challenge for me was in using the ring light without flattening the light on his face and making it too fashiony, so I guess I did good :)
    edited August 25, 2011
    How much of this is cropping in post? Can someone post an original shot and the finished frame filler?

Thank you for all the great comments on here. You all are a great resource to portrait newbies like me.

MD
    edited August 25, 2011
    my photo of the girl is not cropped at all.
    -Jack

edited August 25, 2011
    MD,

I key with frame fillers is to get in tight when you shoot. Here are a couple more, all composed in camera... no post crops:

Ariana

Ana-Grain-1-XL.jpg

My wife - Jen

JenByPool-5-2-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited August 25, 2011
    Jack and anonymouscuban, this is VERY helpful. Thank you
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Here's one from my first senior this year:

i-btHvjv7-O.jpg

Shot with a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 (at 1.4) on a crop sensor. This lens is manual focus only but when I have the time/patience to work with it the bokeh and sharpness are awesome. Not bad for a $300 lens.

This is how I framed it in camera. The only cropping in post was to make it a 5x7 ratio (chopped a bit of the top and bottom).

Diva, I loved the Lensbaby shot. One thing that's really cool about those is that rather than a "plane" of focus, it's more of a spherical surface. That means that you can sometimes line up both eyes along that sphere of focus and get them both tack sharp even while everything else is way blurry (as you did in that shot). But I agree about leaving the f/4 disc in there. I rarely shoot mine at any other aperture. It's the perfect combination of lots of blur but still not frustratingly difficult to focus.
    edited August 26, 2011
    Tim
    Shot with a Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Hey that's neat, what a bargain! Nice shot, love the lashes. Would you mind sharing your skin smoothing technique?
    -Jack