Options

8 Foot Ceiling?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited September 23, 2014 in People
Good morning Dgrinners! Haven't been around in awhile....hope you are all doing well!
So... a question for you studio folks... I recently had to make a move to a new home which only has 8 foot ceilings. My storefront had 10 ft, then I had to move to a 9 Foot, now 8... ugh should be going up! I mostly shoot newbors, babies, children, some maternity and families (which I hate doing in studio) and a few headshots now and then.

I currently have a 4 light set up.

4x6 softbox for the main
a shoot through umbrella for fill
a background bee with grid
and a hairlight with a grid.

Does anybody use all these lights with a low ceiling?
Will the 4x6 still work or will I have to go back to my 3x4?

Any suggestions for dealing with 8 feet would be much appreciated.

Here is a photo I recently did in a 9 ft space... I was humbled that it was accepted into the PPA Loan collection :-)
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2014
    You should be OK, a little cramped but OK. Rarely did the top of my 4x6 ever go above 8ft. If the room is narrow you should not need a flll as you could bounce it off the hopefully white opposite wall or used a reflector for the fill. I would still use the hair and kicker. With one of two subjects you should be OK, hopefully you have the room to back up.

I went back to the 3x4 mostly because everyone else was using the 4x6. I really don't see that much of a difference. I know some do but visually I don't see it in general. Maybe a specific instance but not for the majority or traditional work.

Big Congrats on the Loan Print!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Most kids are sustainably shorter than 8 feet. :D

Wonderful photo!!

Sam
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    very nice photo