1st Wedding of the Year...

dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited May 22, 2009 in Weddings
I had the pleasure of shooting my future brother-in-law's wedding last weekend...1st time w/o an asst. (my fiance', who was in the wedding party) Things got a little hectic when our planned 1.5 hr's for indoor/outdoor formals turned into 30-40min:eek1

I'm almost through pp work now, and I thought I'd post a few of my faves here for cc...I'm still learning and have less than 10 weddings under my belt...so cc is always appreciated. Thanks.

1.528901965_UKxvx-M-1.jpg
2.528907654_yBWvN-M.jpg
3.528907991_XNnQt-M.jpg
4.528906073_xAXz2-M.jpg
5.528940013_N9A4J-M.jpg
6.528940809_nParu-M.jpg
7.528941875_pQW3e-M.jpg
8.528942593_Ahf8p-M.jpg
9.528952907_5bAui-M.jpg

Comments

• austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    The one of the bride arranging her pearls, and the last 2 shots, are my favs. Those are really nice......and she is beautiful.

I think the shot with the mirror would have been stronger if she was looking at herself, rather than the camera.

Sometimes I think it helps to ask the girls to stand with "Miss America pose" legs. You know, one leg out front, one sort of behind, hips angled to the camera. Otherwise, hips can wind up looking huge in a camera lens, and legs look like tree trunks. Just speaking off the cuff.

The big group shot with the wood bench is nice too. That will look great really large because of the DOF.
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    The one of the bride arranging her pearls, and the last 2 shots, are my favs. Those are really nice......and she is beautiful.

I think the shot with the mirror would have been stronger if she was looking at herself, rather than the camera.

Sometimes I think it helps to ask the girls to stand with "Miss America pose" legs. You know, one leg out front, one sort of behind, hips angled to the camera. Otherwise, hips can wind up looking huge in a camera lens, and legs look like tree trunks. Just speaking off the cuff.

The big group shot with the wood bench is nice too. That will look great really large because of the DOF.

Thanks Austinado! Those 3 are my favorites too so far...I have a few more to work up yet.

I agree that the mirror shot would have been stronger with her looking at herself...oh well

Posing is something that I feel I need to work the most on yet, so thank you for the advice.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    I just love #4 and #8. (Especially #8... stunningiloveyou.gif )

While you are processing, take a closer look at your skin tones. #1 is very very magenta. Check out this link if you haven't already about getting pleasing skin tones: http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

(Is that all? You gotta share more than that! Can't wait to see more.)
    edited May 11, 2009
    I just love #4 and #8. (Especially #8... stunningiloveyou.gif )

While you are processing, take a closer look at your skin tones. #1 is very very magenta. Check out this link if you haven't already about getting pleasing skin tones: http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

(Is that all? You gotta share more than that! Can't wait to see more.)

Thanks Heather! Is #1 looking better now? There was a lot of light bouncing off the red walls in the salon, and the bride has a fake tan, so her skin was pretty red anyway...but not that red! haha (I need to calibrate my monitor) I think it looks more natural after a few adjustments...:D

I'll share a few more when I finish them...thanks again!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Good job, I won't repeat points that have been mentioned already. My two cents to help you improve would be to have you think about how you were aiming the flash in 5 and 6, since we can see some pretty noticeable reflections from the flash in these. Did you use a diffuser? Were you aiming it at them, at the ceiling?
    edited May 14, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    Good job, I won't repeat points that have been mentioned already. My two cents to help you improve would be to have you think about how you were aiming the flash in 5 and 6, since we can see some pretty noticeable reflections from the flash in these. Did you use a diffuser? Were you aiming it at them, at the ceiling?

Thanks Shima...I know that flash is something I need to work on more. In #5, I believe it was pointed at them w/diffuser on (not my Gary Fong though...just the one that comes w/it)...the church was pretty dark w/high ceilings, and I was concerned about getting all of their faces lit...would it have been better to pump the flash up a bit, take off the diffuser, and try to bounce it?

In #6, I used my sb800 on camera, and one ab800 above and to the left of me w/ an umbrella...I wish that darn glossy wood plaque was not there...I'm sure I would have noticed it and done something with it if I had more time...I flt incredibly rushed with 10 min by the alter, and 10 min in the "vintage" room...I'll probably just end up cloning it out.

Nevermind...no excuses; I should have noticed it, and I hope things will go better after a few more...

Thank again,

Dan K.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    edited May 14, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    Well done shots.
    They will be happy with these and she is a very pretty lady.

Thanks Zoomer! I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard from them yet...I hope they're happy...I gave them quite the deal, being almost family and all...
    edited May 14, 2009
    A few more...
    Here's a few more of my faves from the day...pretty much through pp now...

1.534982422_LGgoZ-L.jpg

I like this one because it's so natural...
    2.534983214_aG8zd-L.jpg

I really wish I would have noticed her ring being off-kilter for this one...(it was straight a few shots before, and a few shots after), but I still like it...

3.534983502_xtHji-L.jpg

Strike a pose...
    4.534984425_TFZXa-L.jpg

After the flash went off a few times, I think the bear saw us and posed for the camera...not the greatest pic, just thought it was funny...

5.534985171_y9BTP-L.jpg

6.534987103_Wm4xH-L.jpg
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Nice stuff, beautiful girl! Some are a little to tilty for me though, but I understand some people like that.
    edited May 18, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Nice stuff, beautiful girl! Some are a little to tilty for me though, but I understand some people like that.

Thanks for the comment CJ! Laughing.gif...I actually had WAY too many that I thought were too tilted...I think I had a complex of some sort that I wanted to capture something differently and my brain and eye stuck with it for too long! Luckily I still had enough straight shots as well to give them...something to think about for the next one...

Thanks again,

Dan K.
    edited May 22, 2009
    CC please...I'd like to know more thoughts on using angled horizon lines/compositions...are they too much?

Thank you all.

-Dan K.