Roses

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 26, 2004 in Wildlife
Spring is here and the roses are starting to bloom in earnest. Let's see your roses. This could be an awfully long thread.

Here's one of my bourbon roses. Not a terrific shot, but it beats working :D I'll replace it with a better shot one of these days.

3189822-M.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 31, 2004
    That shot was taken this year?? Our (my wife's; real men don't grow roses) roses are far from blooming. It may take me awhile to contribute to this assignment.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    That shot was taken this year?? Our (my wife's; real men don't grow roses) roses are far from blooming. It may take me awhile to contribute to this assignment.
    Fish...my daffodils arn't even up yet... let alone me roses.. in fact it's only just starting to vaguely bud..rolleyes1.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Baldy wrote:

A) It was taken 2004-03-31 14:07:53.

B)FLIPA.gif

C) We've been having spectacular weather down here in the south bay...considerably warmer than where you are. Our growing season is essentially Feb-Dec.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited March 31, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Fish...my daffodils arn't even up yet... let alone me roses.. in fact it's only just starting to vaguely bud..rolleyes1.gif
    I pruned the HTs way late this year, so probably won't see much on them for another few weeks. The OGRs are on the verge of explosion and I'd expect to be able to get some killer macro shots within the next week or so. As far as daffodils, it doesn't usually get cold enough here for them to do well. In fact, I've had very poor luck with all winter bulbs. Roses, azaleas, fuchsias, camelias, and rhododendrons all go nuts here tho.

Eat your heart out, mrs. baldy! :D
    100+ petals
    3190294-M.jpg

Altissimo...5 petals and no stink.
    3190295-M.jpg
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    I wish you could capture the scent. The honeysuckle is what's up my nose right now.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 31, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    I wish you could capture the scent. The honeysuckle is what's up my nose right now. <sniffffsniffff>
    Funnily, I was thinking the same thing this afternoon. The bourbons (aka OGR or Old Garden Rose) have powerfully strong scents. There are only a few hybrid teas that come anywhere close. The really interesting part is that direct sunlight brings out the strong scent and when the sun goes down the scent strength drops off dramatically.
  • PurrcatPurrcat Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2004
    A rose at Disneyland
    Taken at Disneyland this week.
    3209033-M.jpg
    Jan

Camera - Panasonic FZ10
  • tgametgame Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    In the greenhouse
    Very early.

3326325-M.jpg

3326324-M.jpg
    Regards,

Tony Game.

http://www.candlet.plus.com/
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    tgame wrote:
    Very early.

3326325-M.jpg

3326324-M.jpg
    Oh thats a really beautiful shot Tony.. lovely lovely...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 9, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    You want daffodils with that?!

3355010-L.jpg

Or would petunias do as well?

3355011-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 9, 2004
    no offense, PF, but this is a ROSE thread. Off to the flowers thread for you...
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Our (my wife's; real men don't grow roses) roses are far from blooming.
    Actually, gardening is quite a masculine hobby Baldy.
    I know you were only joking, but a lot of the great gardens in the world were designed, and maintained by men.

Great shots here.

-Doug
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Purrcat wrote:
    Taken at Disneyland this week.
    Maybe not a rose, but a very sweet shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 9, 2004
    fish wrote:
    no offense, PF, but this is a ROSE thread. Off to the flowers thread for you...
    Sorry I was responding to Lynn's complaint that her daffodils were not up - did not mean to hijack your thread......bncry.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    "Nearly Wild" Rose
    3502852-S.jpgI've been booted from the spring thread :) Hopefully the rose crowd is a little more understanding. All of our roses are starting to bloom down here in south Georgia.3376989-S.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I've been booted from the spring thread :) Hopefully the rose crowd is a little more understanding. All of our roses are starting to bloom down here in south Georgia.3376989-S.jpg
    Very nice! How did you get the black background?
    If not now, when?
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    There are no roses here yet but I took this in the hotel parking lot last week in San Fransisco
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    and here is one from my files
    edited April 11, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Very nice! How did you get the black background?
    The original was underexposed by about 2 stops. Then I lower the background with the "levels" in Photoshop. Then selected background with magic wand and changed to black. I had to finish off some areas by hand with the paitbrush, but the edge around the flower was nice with the wand. I have been impressed how much you can underexpose a digital image and still get a useful image in post processing.

Thomas

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited April 11, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    The original was underexposed by about 2 stops. Then I lower the background with the "levels" in Photoshop. Then selected background with magic wand and changed to black. I had to finish off some areas by hand with the paitbrush, but the edge around the flower was nice with the wand. I have been impressed how much you can underexpose a digital image and still get a useful image in post processing.

Thomas
    Here are a before and after set using the same technique, although the beginning exposure was normally exposed.

Before picture. See next post for after.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited April 11, 2004
    Here is the after.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    thumb.gif Beauty!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 11, 2004
    Another way to darken the background is the use a spot or partial meter, expose for the flower and the background, if it's in the shade, should underexpose much darker. When you take your shots, try to ensure that there is a lot of contrast between the flower and the background. You can also burn anything that's too bright in the background.
    edited April 11, 2004
    Some roses from today
    Sheer Bliss
    3411215-L.jpg

Sombreuil
    3411246-L.jpg

Jacques Cartier
    3411166-L.jpg
    edited April 16, 2004
    .3522698-L.jpg
    edited April 17, 2004
    Very nice fish. Here are a couple of my own.
    3376988-M-1.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited April 17, 2004
    3411981-M.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited April 17, 2004
    What the heck, how about one more!:D
    3411978-M.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • pavlovpavlov Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2004
    I took this with my old Sony DSC-P5
    edited April 17, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    What the heck, how about one more!:D
    3411978-M.jpg

Nice. That looks like Simplicity...is it?