Family/Group pictures?

djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited November 30, 2007 in People
This topic intrests me too. I have taken many group pictures. none of which were going to be used for making money. So I am really nervous now to take the shot that I would want some one to pay for instance $12 for an 8X10.

Having said that. I have a Canon 30D with a 24-70 F2.8L and a 70-200 F2.8L. I have a tripod, some portable studio lights that can be used with AC/DC power. the lights are said to go 300 watt sec at full power a peice. I have 2 of them. I have a 430 EX flash and a camera bracket. A backdrop stand with one backdrop. that you can see on my pictures petrovphotography.smugmug.com

I am new to the whole digital SLR group. I have been taking pictures for 10 years but just reacently started a business in photography.

I am planing on shooting family pictures. some outside in the back yard others inside like by a fire place. or a christmas tree. something like that, I have never done this before so my creative juices aren't flowing. so here comes the questions.

If I am shooting a family husband, wife, and 2 kids. how to you position them?

when shooting indoors do I go with the flash on the camera (430 ex) or roll in the lights on the stands? (I don't have a studio so all my shots are at the peoples houses)

What is the trick to using a defuser? (I have a cheap rectangle looking one, that I never use because the pictures don't seem any better)

Thanks for any help you can offer to me.
EVGENY:D
www.petrovphotography.com
http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
Canon 430EX Flash

Comments