Options

1D Mark IIn Vs. 1100D - using both, lens choices

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited April 4, 2014 in Technique
Hi All,

seems an odd one this, but I am shooting theatre shows this weekend. I have shot quite a few before, and have 2 cameras I can use. I tend to take both.

Lighting is ok, with some quite dark sets too. I usually work with a shutter speed of 1/40 which is not always enough to stop movement blur.

I have a 1D mark IIn, I also have my daughters 1100D. I have a 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, and I am renting a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM. I also have a 50mm 1.8.

I can sit anywhere I like in the theatre, so tonight I am going to be 10 foot from the stage, off to the right. Tomorrow I will be up in the balcony, and the following day, I'll probably be stage left, close to the front.

So, to my question...

Which lens would you put on which body? Considering the slowness of the big zoom vs the Sigma's f2.8 (constant), and the 1D has worse noise levels than the 1100D. The 1D is 8.2MP, the 1100D is 12.6MP.
BUT, I can spot meter on the 1D, but not on the 1100D (although I can lock focus and exposure separately on both the 1100D and the 1D with the back-button focus, and back-button exposure lock).

Just after ideas, really, to see if they tally with what I have done in the past. :)