Options

A different take on Lunar Eclipses - A Moon-Trail!

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited April 24, 2014 in Landscapes
This is a concept that I started playing around with after my first one or two eclipses. (Let's be honest, these days a busy Facebook feed can kinda take the fun out of photographing phenomena like this the normal way!)

i-G3fNd8N.jpg
(Nikon D5300, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, and one honkin' big heavy tripod!)

Not a flawless execution of what I had originally envisioned, however that's OK since this is just the first of four! ;-)

Here's to hoping that the others arrive with clear weather, somewhere with low light pollution!

I wrote a brief article on how I shot this, BTW, here: http://www.slrlounge.com/lunar-eclipse-star-trail-shot (stacked-up 10-20 min exposures...)
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    Very compelling and beautiful shot! I like how sky came out blue....like it was morning. Don't see any noise. How long was your exposure? (don't have exif reader at work). Personally I like for night to kook like night.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    That certainly is a different view of the eclipse, Matt! I really like it, it's a great concept. And I found your article on how you did it interesting as well.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Very compelling and beautiful shot! I like how sky came out blue....like it was morning. Don't see any noise. How long was your exposure? (don't have exif reader at work). Personally I like for night to kook like night.

Thanks gang for commenting!

The individual ~10-20 min images were made at ISO 400. There is some "christmas tree light" noise, but no ISO related noise.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum