Engagement Pictures

2»

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    mere, Deanna,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    These are just stunning. I'll be watching you veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery closely. rolleyes1.gif

121094929-L-1.jpg
    This shot alone will be one that they cherish for a lifetime. I can easily see grandkids looking at this one years and years from now. What a great record.

Great effort, results, and advice. Let me be the first to give this effort 5 stars. thumb.gif
    --Kres
    edited January 3, 2007
    kres wrote:
    These are just stunning. I'll be watching you veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery closely. rolleyes1.gif

Great effort, results, and advice. Let me be the first to give this effort 5 stars. thumb.gif

Thanks, Kres. I just posted in your sister thread.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    DavidTo posted:

I need to find a way for this to pay for my expensive hobby. :D

Don't we all!

Seriously these are very good, and much better than I would expect for the first time. I have seen engagement photos from so called pros that are not as nice as these.

Your on the right path. Your shooting under pressure to deliver, and are learning. You care about your quality, and your clients. There is no doubt you will succeed.

Sam
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Excelent thread, David. FWIW, I'm too scared to accept any offers to do what you did. I think you did a super job, all things considered.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    all things considered.

And if you didn't consider those things? :D

Thanks, Sid.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 3, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    DavidTo posted:

I need to find a way for this to pay for my expensive hobby. :D

Don't we all!

Seriously these are very good, and much better than I would expect for the first time. I have seen engagement photos from so called pros that are not as nice as these.

Your on the right path. Your shooting under pressure to deliver, and are learning. You care about your quality, and your clients. There is no doubt you will succeed.

Sam

Thanks, Sam.

And if I missed anyone else, thank you all for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • JiggerJigger Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    WOW! these are quality photos. I enjoyed watching them. Perfect couple.
    Jigger

You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
    edited January 4, 2007
    Thanks, Jigger!

You know what the saddest thing about this is? I've lived 25 minutes from this beach for about 15 years now, and this is only the second time I've been there.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • JiggerJigger Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    knowing that its just 25min away from you thats why. But when u ar miles away.. it makes the heart grow fonder.
    Jigger

You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    So I thought I'd post some of what I learned on this shoot.
    • I really need more experience in gauging the scene. I got really lucky in that I was able to salvage a lot of these shots because I was shooting in RAW. I'm going to continue to shoot in RAW for the shots that matter, but I get that I really need to get out there and shoot some JPEG, so that I'm forced to do better at getting it right in the camera.
    • I need to check my settings more often. I'd lose track of things, and end up shooting at the wrong ISO, aperture or exposure compensation setting long after I should have adjusted.
    • I need to think more, shoot less. I need to really connect with what it is that I'm trying to capture in each frame and make sure I'm giving the scene the attention it needs to get there.
    • I need to shoot more. The couple was very patient, but I missed some shots that I should have gotten, where their expressions were natural, magical, and loving.
    • I need a real assistant on shoots like this. Working with your wife is not a good idea.
    • I need to deepen my understanding of balancing flash light with available light, so that the picture is well balanced.
    • I need to learn better how to deal with high-dynamic range shots. I really wanted to keep the background ocean in range, but that meant, often, that the couple were very dark, and I introduced a lot of noise as I brought them up. Sometimes 2 stops. I covered for it pretty well, but it's there, and it shows.
    • 2.5 hours shooting, 10 hours processing. That's a lot of work. I need to get that down.
    • I need to find a way for this to pay for my expensive hobby. :D
    David,

If it was easy, anybody could do it!

You did a wonderful job, and your wife did a wonderful job. You captured images the couple will cherish and share, and "that's" what it's all about.

Lighting control, especially in an open area like a seacoast, isn't easy, but you handled it very well indeed. The supplemental fill you provided is smooth and effective, and you made the right choices. Good stuff all around.thumb.gif

I am also one who hopes you pursue this endeavor, and I'd love to see more of your work.

#6 could have benefitted from a larger, more diffuse source. You might be able to recover it with some more PhotoShop work using the Clone and Healing tools.

I hope you don't mind, I took a stab at it:

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 7, 2007
    Ziggy, I don't mind. I also don't see it. EDIT: there it is!

Yes, I could probably have done that the first time around. I was just a bit overwhelmed going through 400+frames to get it down to 80+. :D
    Moderator Emeritus