The shot that could of been

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited November 24, 2005 in Wildlife
This weekend while shotting with Jeff we were able to get so close to a RTH that it still blows me away. Believe me when I tell you that at one point we were just inches from this fella and he was not a bit disturbed by our presence.

I have already posted a shot of him perched, but none of my BIF's made my own criteria and were culled :cry.

I kept this one just to remind me of what could of been and post it here to share with you all. Besides Harry would not believe me unless there was proof :lol

The shot fails miserably, it's OOF, shutter speed to slow, DOF not there etc. etc. Believe me if was quicker or had better anticipated his attitude Jeff and I would of had the killer shots of shots :cry :cry
Oh well live and learn, right ??

This shot is when he flew from his perch down to the water to grab a drink. He then turned abrubtly (here's where I screwed up) and returned straight at us this shot is at about 8ft from me heading straight down the trail at me. I swear when he passed me his outer wing touched my hand :wow :wow! Maybe it was just the wind from his wings but boy that was close!!

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to explain why I'm posting such a crabby shot :lol4 :cry :D

45623470-L.jpg

Comments

• Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    OH BEN..that's too bad. That would have been a killer series. Sorry to hear that they didn't fly. I know how badly you must feel..so I won't mention to you that having a Canon would have saved the day and nailed the shots. :uhoh

Seriously..that sucks. Would have loved to see those shots...even if it meant eating pineapple laced crow for a week or two. Bummer.

Hope you get that chance again. thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    OH BEN..that's too bad. That would have been a killer series. Sorry to hear that they didn't fly. I know how badly you must feel..so I won't mention to you that having a Canon would have saved the day and nailed the shots. :uhoh

Seriously..that sucks. Would have loved to see those shots...even if it meant eating pineapple laced crow for a week or two. Bummer.

Hope you get that chance again. thumb.gif

Actually having a Canon with one of them big White lenses would of meant that he stayed at least 80+Ft. away blbl.gif :lol4
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    That would truly have been a winner Ben :cry (Wanna borrow my Bigma? :uhoh)

(Even Harry would have been impressed mwink.gif)
  • helmet155helmet155 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Great story! Now you know where the guy hangs out and can get him again to your factory specs :pimp

So you don't feel alone I should add to this thread and show my cormorant shot, I was so excited that I was going to get a cormorant in more frame than a reticule that I forgot to use the AF On button rolleyes1.gif I'm a squid!
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Actually having a Canon with one of them big White lenses would of meant that he stayed at least 80+Ft. away blbl.gif :lol4
    You could have enticed him with some pineapple...I bet. :D Ever hear of camouflage material? You can pick up remnants at the fabric store and cover your lens, camera, face and pizza with it so the birds don't see ya. eek7.gif :uhoh
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Hey Ben,

A shoot is never complete for me until I blow a killer shot. Its what keeps me going back again and again.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited November 23, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    That would truly have been a winner Ben :cry (Wanna borrow my Bigma? :uhoh)

(Even Harry would have been impressed mwink.gif)

thanks for the offer Al
    Harry impressed Nah he'd be crying in his Corona :lol4
    edited November 24, 2005
    helmet155 wrote:
    Great story! Now you know where the guy hangs out and can get him again to your factory specs :pimp

So you don't feel alone I should add to this thread and show my cormorant shot, I was so excited that I was going to get a cormorant in more frame than a reticule that I forgot to use the AF On button rolleyes1.gif I'm a squid!

Hey Brett
    No your not a squid, thats a guy who only goes fast in a straight line and wears no protection :lol4

Oh yeah I'll be back to visit this Raptor again thumb.gif