Galleries re-arrange themselves, sharegroups revealing invisible galleries...

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Up until recently, every time I would create a new gallery it would default to "first" position above every other gallery on my website, placing itself at the top of the sub-category, the sub-cateogory at the top of the category, and the category at the top of my main page. Was anyone else experiencing this same effect?

Clicking "arrange" on the main page would bring up a HUGE list of all galleries, and I'd have to move the newly created gallery down from the top and try to find where it belonged among the 100+ galleries.

Now SmugMug has obviously changed things so that you can arrange categories and sub-categories, for which I am oh-so-thankful.

And also whenever I create a new gallery it defaults to the bottom of the page insted of the top. More kudos for SmugMug!

HOWEVER, arranging categories or sub-categories (and sometimes galleries) seems to scramble each and every gallery within. Furthermore every other category will scramble it's sub-categories and galleries. This is ridiculous and un-acceptable.

FINALLY, I'm trying to use sharegroups once again, now that I have the CSS that hides them from cookie-ing their way onto seemingly every page. (which happens to be #shareGroups {display: none} as I so keenly figured out on my own...)

Some galleries in the sharegroup are public, but some are private and ought to be invisible at all times.

However once I visit a sharegroup, (while logged out) ALL the galleries inside it become accessible even from my main page. My hunch is that only clients who have first visited the sharegroup link will get this effect, but I STILL do not want them to think that their photos are right there on my main site.

The problem becomes two-fold in that a couple particular private galleries in sharegroups refuses to be arranged. Logged in, I can get the galleries to arrange properly but logged out, the gallery and sub-category both appear "first" in the category, when in fact they should both be dead last.

HELP!!!

The smugmug in question is http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/

The category in question is "Weddings - Portraits - Events"

The sub-categories therein should of course read chrononologically 2003-2006, but refuse to appear so when viewed logged out.

The sub-category in question is "2006 PRIVATE Galleries"

The sharegroups in question are:

http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/share/y4kK6PgX1yxDs
http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/share/YEmgyN5x0iJnc

The particular INVISIBLE galleries giving me the most trouble are:

http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/1347504
http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/1352238

PLEASE ADVISE!

I need a solution to the problem of everything un-arranging itself whenever I create a new gallery or re-arrange existing stuff.

I need a solution/answer concerning things that refuse to be arranged. And what I mean by this is, I can click "arrange" without difficulty, sort galleries without difficulty, click "save changes" without difficulty, and return to the page I was viewing but not seeing the re-arrangement take effect. (I talked to don or someone about it a few months ago, and the only solution was for me to delete a bunch of galleries so that I had fewer than 100. Sadly this is no longer an option...) Currently I am having no problem arranging categories, sub-categories or galleries right now when logged in, but logged out things revert back to un-arranged...

I need a solution/answer concerning sharegroups revealing invisible galleries, and possibly being responsible for sticky-ing them at the top of the sub-category for any logged-out viewer.

Thank you Smugmug for offering such fantastic service, (no I'm not saying that tongue-in-cheek, I really do mean it- you guys are the best!)

Take care,
-Matt-
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• geibphotgeibphot Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Don't know if it's related or not, but there's another thread about galleries automagically rearranging themselves. JT (smugmug) stated he'll try and take a look at it next week.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30299&page=3

Best of luck!

-Jeremy
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    geibphot wrote:
    Don't know if it's related or not, but there's another thread about galleries automagically rearranging themselves. JT (smugmug) stated he'll try and take a look at it next week.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30299&page=3

Best of luck!

-Jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy for the tip! I searched and searched but didn't find anything on the forums about that issue. I guess they used the word sorting instead of arrange...

So now I am down to just the problem with sharegroups revealing invisible (private) galleries when people have become privy to the sharegroup. A replier named GeorgeS has that same problem but JT's reply didn't acknowledge that specific sharegroup roblem.

And I should probably get someone to kill this topic since that one is already discussing my exact problems. Just so that SM knows that the problem isn't solved yet, I'm more than happy to sit tight and wait for it to be fixed.

Take care,
    -Matt-
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Take care,
    -Matt-

Hi Matt,

One of the galleries that you have as private is in that share group. Could you tell me how the other one gets found? ear.gif

BTW, "PRIVATE" means "Private, not on your homepage. It does NOT mean invisible.

I'll be here all night :D
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Matt,

One of the galleries that you have as private is in that share group. Could you tell me how the other one gets found? ear.gif

BTW, "PRIVATE" means "Private, not on your homepage. It does NOT mean invisible.

I'll be here all night :D
    Hi Andy,

Each of the private galleries are in a sharegroup. The links are arranged respectively in my original post, I believe.

And you are correct, I should not use the word invisible. However, when someone who is NOT logged into my account visits this sharegroup:
    http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/share/YEmgyN5x0iJnc

...afterwards they can see THIS gallery's thumbs show up on my main page even though it is private:
    http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/1352238

Logged out my page looks like this:

68135643-M.jpg

That thumb featured in Weddings - Portraits - Events is from a private gallery in my 2006 sub-category. Sub-categories shouldn't even be showing thumbs on the main page, because galleries that lie directly in the category take precedence, as is the case when logged in:

68135750-M.jpg

There you see a thumb that SHOULD be displayed from my main page, from the public portfolio. No, wait a minute, the galleries un-arranged themselves again. Now it's a thumb from print pricing... ARGH!

My point is, once the public views a sharegroup that has a private gallery in it, that gallery is effectively no longer private to them, not just via the sharegroup but also through my main website. This is what I don't want happening.

Also as George said in his reply to the other topic, having that private gallery in a sharegroup seems to LOCK it at the top of it's respective page for logged-out viewers. Which my screenshots also confirm, since I arranged sub-categories AND galleries in descending order so this gallery SHOULD never even have a chance at displaying its thumbs on my main page.

Take care,
    -Matt-
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    My point is, once the public views a sharegroup that has a private gallery in it, that gallery is effectively no longer private to them, not just via the sharegroup but also through my main website. This is what I don't want happening.
    -Matt-
    Matt, It's been this way for along time, some/most/all galleries in a
    sharegroup visited will show from the home page for awhile.
    They will go away eventually. I used to have to open IE to
    check if they were visible to anyone else and concluded they
    were not. That was one reason I never log in with IE.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited May 7, 2006
    Allen wrote:
    Matt, It's been this way for along time, some/most/all galleries in a
    sharegroup visited will show from the home page for awhile.
    They will go away eventually. I used to have to open IE to
    check if they were visible to anyone else and concluded they
    were not. That was one reason I never log in with IE.
    AL
    Hi Allen,

I use IE to view my website (logged out) just because that's what a large portion of the general public uses, and I use Firefox to log in and browse the rest of the internet. (IE is stricltly for viewing my own home page, I just cannot trust any other website not to dump trash onto my computer...)

I realize that the general public, if they aren't privy to any sharegroups, will see my galleries as I see them when I'm logged in. I'm happy about that. I just don't see WHY sharegrouped private galleries MUST insist on forcing themselves to the top of the list. This just should not be. They should stay where they ought to be, always. Mostly to avoid confusion and to keep clients from panicking and thinking that their private images are viewable right on my main website. And I'd rathe not have to add a disclaimer to emails with sharegroup links in them to explain that their pics are indeed NOT viewable to the public, nor do I want to try and explain how do clear one's cache or delete cookies so as to get my main page to return to normal.

Heaven forbid I am just picky about the way my site looks! Being picky about customization and total control is what I think Smugmug is all about, especially for power and pro users. It's part of the reason I'm "hooked" on smugmug and will never close my account, ever.

Take care,
    -Matt-