SmugMug soft launches Bay Photo integration

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It ain't so.

Standards and power customers can set the auto/true settings in their control panel. Look in your settings tab. More, here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/control-panel

control-panel-settings-6.jpg

Great!

Except....

It almost is so. Or I'm going blind.

I see (now) in the galley customization the ability to set color correction as the default, and yes I can do that.

However, everyone is pointing to the control panel and site wide customization and I must be going blind. here's what mine looks like.

464385573_vb5Nx-X3.jpg

What am I missing? Is there another button I need to hit, or face south instead of north while typing, or... ?

I also looked at the site customization tab but that appears to be still only web appearance, and searching for "color" on it only got the web color.

Signed,
    Am I blind? (Say it ain't so) ne_nau.gif
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I have a Pro account and I also do not have that option in my "settings" tab. Hmmm...
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    RKnecht wrote:
    I have a Pro account and I also do not have that option in my "settings" tab. Hmmm...

Not in mine either. headscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    RKnecht wrote:
    Guys... pros set the color correction in the pro pricing tool. Standard and power customers set it in their control panel.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/control-panel
    Color correction is an option only Power and Standard users will see on this page (Pros see it in their Pro pricing). For the print lab that Power and Standard subscribers go through, color correction is automated and described here.
    edited January 30, 2009
    Ferguson wrote:
    What am I missing?

Pros set color correction in the pricing tool.

Standards and power customers set it in their conrol panel, settings tab.

• chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Kyle D wrote:
    I got so excited about the integration with Bay photo that I completely forgot about the fact that SmugMug would hook us up with some test prints. In all my excitement I ended up ordering 23-24 4x6's and an 8x10 giclee canvas board and an 8x10 giclee watercolour. All in all with shipping it was something like $115 USD. Wowsers, that's quite the thorough set of test prints.

So, in hindsight I wish I would have remembered the test print thing. Then again I did go a little overboard. ne_nau.gif

Is there a way to get test prints other than purchasing them through the tutorial page?
    edited January 30, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Is there a way to get test prints other than purchasing them through the tutorial page?
    Sure! Just write our Support Heroes and ask, giving us a shipping address :D
    edited January 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Pros set color correction in the pricing tool.

Standards and power customers set it in their conrol panel, settings tab.

Right, understood, but that's why I posted the screen shot of mine -- it's not there.

Or I'm blind.

Or I do not understand.

I have a "use sitewide customization" in the gallery customization, but when I go to control panel, settings, there's no color setting (see screen shot above). I am a power user not a pro.

Sorry to be dense... but I'm still confused.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I am a power user, and my control panel does not look like the one in the help file. I also do not have a 'Printing' section in the Settings tab.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    I am a power user, and my control panel does not look like the one in the help file. I also do not have a 'Printing' section in the Settings tab.
    hang tight, i'm investigating.
    Pedal faster
    edited January 30, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    ACK! Something went wrong, bigwebguy fixed it, and we hope to have that on the live site today....
    edited January 30, 2009
    Ferguson, pupator, cmason, et al - if you are a standard or power user you should now see the color correction toggle in your settings tab, control panel :)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Ferguson, pupator, cmason, et al - if you are a standard or power user you should now see the color correction toggle in your settings tab, control panel :)

Indeedy I do, thanks much!
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Thanks Andy and BWG - knew you guys would be all over it (also knew that we weren't ALL crazy or blind. rolleyes1.gif)
    edited January 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    ACK! Something went wrong, bigwebguy fixed it, and we hope to have that on the live site today....

Indeed, got it, thanks.

I don't suppose you could slip up while making that change and just accidentally give us a choice of labs as well? mwink.gif

But I'm once again a happy camper so long as the good stuff I had is not going away. Bad enough it's happening in my 401k, can't have it happening in the important places like SmugMug.
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:

Test prints? I missed seeing info on getting test prints somewhere in all this. Could someone point me to the message/thread on how we can get test prints?
    Thanks.
    edited January 31, 2009
    AFBlue wrote:
    Test prints? I missed seeing info on getting test prints somewhere in all this. Could someone point me to the message/thread on how we can get test prints?
    Thanks.
    Hi, simply write our heroes and ask :)
    Be sure to give an address.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • JEphotographyJEphotography Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Mounting options?
    I am interested in mounting options that bay photo offers. Is there way to have those available?

Thanks for the professional lab option, I look forward to using it. Especially when mounting becomes available.

Jonathan

www.jephotography.net
    www.jephotography.smugmug.com
    edited January 31, 2009
    I am interested in mounting options that bay photo offers. Is there way to have those available?

We plan on this, in a future release. Hang in there :D
  • JohnnycbJohnnycb Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    I have been using Smug since the beginning of time. I am about to take the next step into earning with pics utilizing digital downloads, prints and stock.I have read all this thread and find it pretty intersting over all.

Especially since I have narrowed my "Pro" gallery choices to Smug and Exposure Manager. A couple of questions have arisen.

Q1. Are their any planes to have "Pro" qualty themes to select from?

Q2. Can one set a gallery for example... limited edition prints that are fullfilled thru Bay and hav a seperate gallery for open editions set to print thru EzPrints?

Q3. Can one have prints sent himself or herself for reviewing and then signing and numbering and then mailing out to those customers?

Thanks,

Johnny

Austin, Republic of Texas
    edited January 31, 2009
    Johnnycb wrote:
    I have been using Smug since the beginning of time. I am about to take the next step into earning with pics utilizing digital downloads, prints and stock.I have read all this thread and find it pretty intersting over all.

Especially since I have narrowed my "Pro" gallery choices to Smug and Exposure Manager. A couple of questions have arisen.

Q1. Are their any planes to have "Pro" qualty themes to select from?
    Yes - and soon.

Q2. Can one set a gallery for example... limited edition prints that are fullfilled thru Bay and hav a seperate gallery for open editions set to print thru EzPrints?
    You bet you can!

Q3. Can one have prints sent himself or herself for reviewing and then signing and numbering and then mailing out to those customers?

Thanks,

Johnny

Austin, Republic of Texas
    You bet you can do that, too thumb.gif

wave.gif
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Very nice SM thumb.gif, I am off to order some prints and check out how the shipping times and customs brokerage to Canada is handled.

Just for reference, I use a lab in the US (Marcophotoservices) that handles all the brokerage and I get the shipments in 2 days. thumb.gif
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Johnnycb wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    You bet you can do that, too thumb.gif
    Andy - How would one do this? If the customer places an order through the website they just put in their address and that's that. I presume you are talking here about the photographer placing an order on behalf of the customer. Correct?
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I just feel the need to say this again...Thank You Smugmug! I was talking to the owner of another lab that offers hosting and print fulfillment today, but charges a lot more for the annual fee (we were at a photography gtg).

While a local-ish lab would be good to support local business, the customer service I get at SM is far better than anyhere else. Pairing with Bay Photo secures me as a long-term customer. EZ does nice printing, but I'm looking forward to a professional service. I've had some prints and albums done by Bay and loved what I got.

I've looked into other services, but NONE of them offer hosting, unlimited galleries, customization, and fulfillment the way you do.

clap.gifwings.gif :ivar bowdown.gifiloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gifmwink.gif

Sam

www.samellis.smugmug.com
    edited February 1, 2009
    Andy - How would one do this? If the customer places an order through the website they just put in their address and that's that. I presume you are talking here about the photographer placing an order on behalf of the customer. Correct?
    Yes, as that was what the poster had asked, as far as I understand :)
  • SandRazorSandRazor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2009
    No Pain, No Gain
    First of all, thank you for the great new printing options. I've already purchased some test prints and can't wait to review them and switch all my galleries over to Bay Photo so I can capitalize on the upgrade.

On a side note, I noticed that after the upgrade, most of my galleries had lost my custom pricing and I was essentially giving all of my photos away at cost. Luckily nobody purchased anything before I was able to correct it but it was rather embarrassing to have a potential client point out my rock bottom pricing. Obviously I have no proof that the upgrade caused the pricing loss, but since I have not made any changes to my galleries since early December, I suspect that is the case. Did anyone else experience any issues?
    edited February 1, 2009
    SandRazor wrote:

On a side note, I noticed that after the upgrade, most of my galleries had lost my custom pricing and I was essentially giving all of my photos away at cost. Luckily nobody purchased anything before I was able to correct it but it was rather embarrassing to have a potential client point out my rock bottom pricing. Obviously I have no proof that the upgrade caused the pricing loss, but since I have not made any changes to my galleries since early December, I suspect that is the case. Did anyone else experience any issues?
    Can you be much more specific? How were the galleries priced? Porfolio? Gallery? We set things up so this specifically could not happen... I want to know more, specifically and exactly, in your case, so we can figure out what's up, thanks!
  • SandRazorSandRazor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you be much more specific? How were the galleries priced? Porfolio? Gallery? We set things up so this specifically could not happen... I want to know more, specifically and exactly, in your case, so we can figure out what's up, thanks!

Andy,

All of my pricing was configured per gallery and I did not have any custom settings at the Portfolio level. luckily I didn't lose them all and it was simple to clone them back.

I figure that's probably why it happened now that I think about it. My custom gallery settings fell back to the default portfolio which was undefined by me and ended up with Smug default pricing instead.

I'll be taking advantage of the portfolio option as soon as I switch everything to Bay Photo as that really is a handy feature.

Thanks again for the new features and for looking into this issue. I really appreciate it.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    After setting portfolio prices for Bay, I noticed (after a client contacted me) that all of my old galleries with EZ Prints pricing were now defaulting to print via Bay - thereby changing the pricing as well. Because I didn't have gallery-level custom pricing for those galleries, they inherited the default portfolio pricing & lab - I thought this was only supposed to happen to NEW galleries. ? :bluduh

To reproduce this: Set portfolio prices for Bay and SAVE (making it the default for new galleries). Now go to an existing gallery whose pricing hasn't been modified since the roll-out - you'll notice the lab has now defaulted to Bay. headscratch.gif Now, if I go into the gallery, change it BACK to EZ Prints pricing, save, it sticks - no further portfolio changes alter the lab choice for that gallery.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    After setting portfolio prices for Bay, I noticed (after a client contacted me) that all of my old galleries with EZ Prints pricing were now set to Bay photo pricing. Because I didn't have gallery-level custom pricing for those galleries, they inherited the default portfolio pricing & lab - I thought this was only supposed to happen to NEW galleries. ? :bluduh

To reproduce this: Set portfolio prices for Bay and SAVE (making it the default for new galleries). Now go to an existing gallery whose pricing hasn't been modified since the roll-out - you'll notice the lab has now defaulted to Bay. headscratch.gif Now, if I go into the gallery, change it BACK to EZ Prints pricing, save, it sticks - no further portfolio changes alter the lab choice for that gallery.
    It appears that whatever labs pricing you "last saved" is your default lab. I've posted here suggesting that that is way too subtle and which lab you want to be your portfolio pricing lab should be more obvious than that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question