Nikon D7100 Bracketing Question

cameraicamerai Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 20, 2013 in Cameras
Hi --

I purchased the D7100 referred to in my "Dilemma" post. The question I have with bracketing is this:

If I set up the bracketing routine for "AE Only", utilizing a series of three shots, does the camera upon the push of the shutter button fire off all three shots rapidly with one push of the button, or am I supposed to push the shutter button three times?

When I try it, and it seems to want me to push the shutter button three individual times. Is this correct?

Can I combine this with the continuous low speed function to fire off three shots in rapid sucession?

Regards,

Camerai

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited April 24, 2013
    Yes, I believe that you can. Here is a video showing the use of both auto-bracketing and drive mode to rapidly automate the sequence of images on a Nikon D800 (should be similar to the D7100):

http://youtu.be/l5584Fh6Iio
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2013
    You have to push the button for each exposure unless the camera is in continuous mode or timer. For those modes, you push the release once, and the camera will take all of the bracketed exposures. I recommend changing the order of the exposures versus the default of proper exposure first, under, over. I put the darkest exposure first, so it is easier to tell when a new bracket starts.
  • windsurfherwindsurfher Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2013
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    You have to push the button for each exposure unless the camera is in continuous mode or timer. For those modes, you push the release once, and the camera will take all of the bracketed exposures. I recommend changing the order of the exposures versus the default of proper exposure first, under, over. I put the darkest exposure first, so it is easier to tell when a new bracket starts.

I am looking all through the manual for instructions how to change the order as you suggest and to no avail. How do you change the order to darkest through lightest??? It suggests you can but not how to do it!

Thanks!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    in my 7000 its in menu e6

edit
    on a 7100 its in e7
    right-click this link and choose save link as , and choose a location in your PC
    it is the full manual of the 7100
    once downloaded to PC , open it and you find it on page 251
    edited July 19, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    in my 7000 its in menu e6

edit
    on a 7100 its in e7
    right-click this link and choose save link as , and choose a location in your PC
    it is the full manual of the 7100
    once downloaded to PC , open it and you find it on page 251

Thank you so much! Ironically, its e7, right below e6 setting had I only read a tiny bit further down the options on the camera. 11doh.gif
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2013
    set the release mode dialer to CL or CH
    now you can take 3 shots by long press the shutter ( short press takes single shots )

the bracketing-icon in top-display is also a progress-indicator
    it changes with each shot , so you know when the 3 are complete
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    MomaZunk wrote: »

Are you claiming that the camera will automatically click three shots, even if you take your finger off the shutter before the first shot is even done? I thought that was a feature that had to be turned on in the menus for timer shooting, but it will not do this in continuous mode EVER, and only in timer mode if you set it up correctly. I could be mistaken. Canon DSLRs automatically detect when you turn on bracketing, and as soon as you set the camera to do a 2-sec timer it knows to click all three shots. (or however many you're bracketing)

BTW, the work-around that I've been using forever on my D300 and D700 is to simply use the built-in intervalometer. I just program it to shoot one set of 3-5+ images, and set my bracketing to 3-5 frames. Or, if I'm shooting at faster shutter speeds and I don't care about camera shake, or especially if I'm shooting hand-held, I use the trick where the D700 and D300 can be over-clocked to 8 FPS by switching to Single-Shot drive mode, but programming one of the FN buttons to do "Bracketing Burst." This allows me to blast HDR images in less than ideal conditions, such as at weddings...

Either way, having the new features on the D7100 are very handy, now you can just program your timer mode. But I suppose you still have to tell it how many shots to take, and I don't always take the same number of shots. Again, unless I am mistaken and there is some automatic mode that causes the D7100 to recognize that bracketing is turned on, and automatically click the right number of shots with a single push of the shutter...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited July 22, 2013
    I'm also used to canon, with this Nikon d7100 can anyone share a link or info how to do a 9 stop bracket exposure series for HDR? I've been trying with the bracketing feature 3 at -3 then 3 at 3 then 3 at +3 but it gives overlapping exposures, not a range of 9 stops that I will need to do for EVERY image at my new job.

Thanks.
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    Yes Matt, you are correct. You have to hold the button down to get the 3 exposures in continuous mode, but using the timer or remote, you can get the 3 exposires with one press.

Windsurfer
    I am not sure about the D7100, but on my D7000, I set the number of frames to 3, and the spacing to 1 stop, then I do -3 exposure compensation, 0, and then +3, and that will give you 9 frames 1 stop apart.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2013
    I'm also used to canon, with this Nikon d7100 can anyone share a link or info how to do a 9 stop bracket exposure series for HDR? I've been trying with the bracketing feature 3 at -3 then 3 at 3 then 3 at +3 but it gives overlapping exposures, not a range of 9 stops that I will need to do for EVERY image at my new job.

Thanks.

It's hard to explain, but you have to play with both of the command dials when setting up bracketing on a Nikon. One dial controls the increment, the other dial controls the number of shots. And the dial that controls the number of shots goes both ways, if you dial it one way it will only give you under-exposure or over-exposure, but if you dial it the other direction it will give you both at once. It's just a nifty way of giving you as many options as possible without going into a menu.

Personally I like using either 1-stop increments for my 5-9 shot brackets, or 2-stop increments for my 3-5 shot brackets.

And, as others have mentioned, there is also a menu option you should set so that the images are captured in the order "dark, medium, bright" which makes it much easier to tell sequences apart compared to "medium, dark, bright"...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    You're going to be using a tripod for this, so just put the shutter mode on self-timer and one shutter press does the job. As Matthew said, you hold down the "bracket" button on the front and rotate the main command dial to choose the number of shots, and the subcommand dial to control the eV increment.
    edited August 20, 2013
    :D
    Thanks so much for your help!

The other little detail I was missing, the +/- button on the top sets the over or under exposure which seems obvious but I was thinking the +3 or -3 on the dials was giving me the over or under.

thumb.gif