Options

Why don't filenames show in place of titles, not captions?

sherkanersherkaner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 8, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I've been reading through threads on the forum that dance around this question a bit, but I wanted to ask it directly to see if there's something I'm not understanding.

As I understand it: There is a gallery option to show a photo's filename in place of the caption, if no caption is present, and that is the only way to get the filename of an image to show up in the gallery labels and such.

My question is why would the option be to replace the caption instead of the title? This seems to lead to two odd situations: Currently if I add a caption (in Lightroom, where I do all my metadata editing) only, then only that caption, without either a title or filename, will display. And if I add a title only, both the title and the filename will display. And also, for somebody who hasn't bothered to add titles or captions to photos, having them show up as a smaller-font caption is kind of an irritation.

It seems like the logical behavior would be for the filename to display as the title, if no title is present, since the filename is much more likely to represent the name of the photo than a description of it. Is there some subtle reason I'm missing that this isn't the case? This seems like it would be an extremely easy fix for SmugMug; just add an extra gallery option to "show filename as title if title is not present". If others are happy with using the filename as a caption, that option will still be there.

Apologies if this would be considered more of a "feature request". I wasn't sure where to put this, but at least from my point of view it seems like a support matter.

Comments

• Options
    Hero JackieHero Jackie Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2015
    Sherkaner,

This is a feature request, if you'd like to make it. I don't have an answer for you as to why it is that way, just that it is. So, you can put your caption in the title space, if wanted, to allow your filename to show.

Here is where you can make this suggestion:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug

Have a great weekend!