Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• ColinMColinM Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Made the jump as well. ColinMPhotography.com any feedback (good or bad) welcome :)
    edited August 7, 2013
    Well, here is my new site after the new smugmug implementation.

www.PedroAlicea.com

The first thing that I did was put four photo content boxes with links to galleries. My only issue with this is that it opens a new tab, something our heroes are looking how to get rid of as a new implementation. Had I just did go to Gallery, the buttons would have had to be put into their respective gallery and be viewed because hiding the photos will not allow them to show up on the homepage.

The galleries are setup as landscape collage. I did this because I have a mixture of landscape and portrait photos and I found that this keeps them neat.

About Me is simply a profile.

Contact page is from the contact page option in the menu option with my photo being from one of my gallery pictures.

One thing that I don't like is that I cannot implement a Home page because this would cause multiple tabs to be opened when they click on a button. Hopefully the heroes find a fix for this.

Other than that, please comment and critique. Thank you.

Nice layout; just one note, i went to your About me page http://www.pedroalicea.com/About-Me and noticed that the image on the left is broken. Same with the contact form. Not sure if you need to update your profile photo or if it's just a SmugMug issue.

I hope the Heros find out a fix for your open in a new tab issue as well. I can see many tabs being opened while navigating. Other than that, great layout & even better photos!
  • dave.turleydave.turley Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    ColinM wrote: »
    Made the jump as well. ColinMPhotography.com any feedback (good or bad) welcome :)

You have some amazing photos! Great stuff. I commented on one, and when I posted the comment box stayed up although my comment appeared to post. You may want to find out how to get the box to shut when you comment and it'd be cool if a thanks for commenting message popped up. Not sure if that's possible, but if you find out, let me know. Other than that, your site looks great and works well and as always, it's made easier by having some great photos to start with.
  • Pedro AliceaPedro Alicea Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Nice layout; just one note, i went to your About me page http://www.pedroalicea.com/About-Me and noticed that the image on the left is broken. Same with the contact form. Not sure if you need to update your profile photo or if it's just a SmugMug issue.

I hope the Heros find out a fix for your open in a new tab issue as well. I can see many tabs being opened while navigating. Other than that, great layout & even better photos!

Thanks Colin. Apparently the gallery was private so that prevented the photo from showing up. I moved it to my buttons gallery (the homepage gallery that the buttons are hosted, re-connected the photo, and logged out. Seems to be visible.

For your site, Colin, all I have to say is this:

I was looking at your website and my girlfriend exclaims "WHOA, WHOSE PHOTOS ARE THOSE?!?!?"

I think that says enough when my girlfriend exclaims like that and she knows it is not my work :D
    Pedro Alicea
    "Taking One Shot at a Time"
    [url]Http://PedroAlicea.smugmug.com[/url]
    [url]Http://www.PedroAlicea.com[/url]
    edited August 7, 2013
    McQ wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation of how you made those pages. And let me just say, "Wow!".

Dude, you have a kicking site...Your homepage reminds me of the old Maxell commercial.

You know, this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WcBi9mu6A
    Pedro Alicea
    edited August 7, 2013
    Filenames showing

Oh, I don't know if you wanted to do this but your filenames are showing. Just a personal preference of mine to not have those names.
    Pedro Alicea
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013

On my big monitor, this homepage is stunning.

Once (if, when) smugmug lets us get rid of watermarks on thumbnails, it will be pretty perfect.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I'm up! www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk

Let me know of any problems....I'm a little concerned by it being a bit slow to load everything...
  • McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'm up! www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk

Let me know of any problems....I'm a little concerned by it being a bit slow to load everything...

Paul, I opened it several times in Safari and Chrome and it took, on average, about seven seconds to open. It seems to flash a glimpse of some folders (or galleries) before settling in on the opening slideshow. I haven't dug too deep, but each gallery seems to load ok. The only snag I noticed was when one of them, the wedding gallery, opened the first time, the background image took about five seconds to scroll itself down the page and fill in.

Otherwise, it seems to work at a normal speed. And you somehow managed to keep your Wufoo form! Lol!

Nicely done.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    McQ wrote: »
    And you somehow managed to keep your Wufoo form! Lol!

Nicely done.

Cheers :) Fortunately I had been working on an alternative option for wufoo, hosting on a look a like site, before the hack came along, so just needed to go back and finish it off......
  • fizzyfizzfizzyfizz Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Have been enjoying experimenting with the new designs. Thanks SmugMug - www.iwpics.com
  • BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I went live with mine the first day and have been tweaking slowly each day. It's getting there.

www.brianjaphoto.com

Right now when you click on the "PHOTOS" link I have "Recent Galleries" on top with the photos organized by category below them for older galleries.

I've been debating separating the two and having two links in my menu bar:
    1) Recent Galleries (12-24 most recent additions)
    2) Photos by Category (Contains All Galleries)

Thoughts?
  • ramdiskramdisk Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Brian looks good
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor 18-70mm
    Nikkor 70-300mm

My Gallery

Ahh! The joy of not much of anything.............
  • Jingle ImagesJingle Images Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Hey

Did a update to site on small things. Let me know how you feel about it.

also check out Right Click Protection here.
    Right Click Protection here
    edited August 7, 2013
    You have some amazing photos! Great stuff. I commented on one, and when I posted the comment box stayed up although my comment appeared to post. You may want to find out how to get the box to shut when you comment and it'd be cool if a thanks for commenting message popped up. Not sure if that's possible, but if you find out, let me know. Other than that, your site looks great and works well and as always, it's made easier by having some great photos to start with.

Dave - Thank you for the feedback, I'll have to look into the comment section, I actually didn't even look at that when I unveiled the new site so I hope SM has some tutorials somewhere of how this works & if it can be customized.
    Thanks Colin. Apparently the gallery was private so that prevented the photo from showing up. I moved it to my buttons gallery (the homepage gallery that the buttons are hosted, re-connected the photo, and logged out. Seems to be visible.

For your site, Colin, all I have to say is this:

I was looking at your website and my girlfriend exclaims "WHOA, WHOSE PHOTOS ARE THOSE?!?!?"

I think that says enough when my girlfriend exclaims like that and she knows it is not my work :D
    Oh, I don't know if you wanted to do this but your filenames are showing. Just a personal preference of mine to not have those names.

Pedro - Glad to see that you could get the image fixed easily! And a big Thank You! for you & your girlfriend for the kind words! As far as file names, I have them shown so if a customer wants a custom print size it's easier for them to identify the exact file they are looking for. I know it takes away from the look/feel of the site a little, but I figured it's an ok trade off for me.
    On my big monitor, this homepage is stunning.

Once (if, when) smugmug lets us get rid of watermarks on thumbnails, it will be pretty perfect.

Jarboe - Thank you! Yes I agree, I wish the small thumbnails would not contain watermarks (or the ability to turn on/off). I have some proof galleries that contain more invasive watermarks and when viewing them as small thumbs it's pretty distracting...

Thank you everyone for the comments & feedback!!
    edited August 7, 2013
    Hey

Did a update to site on small things. Let me know how you feel about it.

also check out Right Click Protection here.
    Right Click Protection here

Hey Jason,
    Thank you for the help with the right click code on the other thread!

I noticed that on all your pages in the upper right corner you have the text "Social Media" above the icons for each social site. The text does not appear on http://www.jingleimages.com/Galleri or any gallery (that I clicked on). Just a heads up :)

I like how you have the thumbs for your images with rounded corners and a drop shadow. Did you have to create a custom feature image for each gallery or is this a default setting in SM?
  • Jingle ImagesJingle Images Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Hey Jason,
    Thank you for the help with the right click code on the other thread!

I noticed that on all your pages in the upper right corner you have the text "Social Media" above the icons for each social site. The text does not appear on http://www.jingleimages.com/Galleri or any gallery (that I clicked on). Just a heads up :)

I like how you have the thumbs for your images with rounded corners and a drop shadow. Did you have to create a custom feature image for each gallery or is this a default setting in SM?

Ok removed the Social media from other pages above icons

I used code for the border-radius and box shadow and had to play around with other stuff to get it layout the way i want it.
  • macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013

Wonderful photography - even though I have a deep fear of waves. Great looking site
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    After a few new starts...
    After seeing all of the really great looking sites here, I had to go back and redo mine because it seemed so amateurish to me. I borrowed a lot of inspiration from everyone else and it seems a lot better to me now. Also, it is more like the old SmugMug site that I had in terms of layout (I think).

If anyone sees any mistakes or how it could be improved, I would be grateful to hear about it. Thanks.

My SmugMug photo site:

http://steveandbecky.smugmug.com/
  • PlanetStarPlanetStar Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Customization of the Dash Design
    Hi

I love being "social" and I love the flow of the Dash design. I have worked a lot with it to understand how it works. When you get the idea and find out how to create a page it is actually a very powerful design tool SmugMug has released.

This is my site:

http://foto.stjerne.nu

This is my new about page made with the page design building blocks:

http://foto.stjerne.nu/About

Frank
    edited August 7, 2013
    steveL wrote: »
    After seeing all of the really great looking sites here, I had to go back and redo mine because it seemed so amateurish to me. I borrowed a lot of inspiration from everyone else and it seems a lot better to me now. Also, it is more like the old SmugMug site that I had in terms of layout (I think).

If anyone sees any mistakes or how it could be improved, I would be grateful to hear about it. Thanks.

My SmugMug photo site:

http://steveandbecky.smugmug.com/

Nice images, and clear layout.

Just a few observations...

1. I started with a plain background, but thought it looked a little flat. I think your grey hessian is the same. It also makes it look a little dated. I redid mine with a two-tone image of black/grey done with the gradient tool in Photoshop. I think it gives the pages more depth and 'travel'.

2. I'd put your site title 'STEVE AND BECK'S PHOTOGRAPHS' in upper-case. Might give it more impact.

3. You can have drop-down list on your browse button on the menu so viewers can go straight to a section. Just edit the link and switch on 'include folder content'. See mine (link below) on the 'images' button.

Rob
  • steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Nice images, and clear layout.

Just a few observations...

1. I started with a plain background, but thought it looked a little flat. I think your grey hessian is the same. It also makes it look a little dated. I redid mine with a two-tone image of black/grey done with the gradient tool in Photoshop. I think it gives the pages more depth and 'travel'.

2. I'd put your site title 'STEVE AND BECK'S PHOTOGRAPHS' in upper-case. Might give it more impact.

3. You can have drop-down list on your browse button on the menu so viewers can go straight to a section. Just edit the link and switch on 'include folder content'. See mine (link below) on the 'images' button.

Rob

Thanks Rob! I know your site and have browsed it more than once -- outstanding work.

I will have to look into the gradient thing. I don't have a photo program at this time but would like to get one.

I didn't know about "include folder content" so thanks for that tip.

I will play around with the site title a bit. I was designing the site on the ipad so the linen background is where that came from (I am so original and creative -- not). I couldn't decide if a darker or very light background would be best for me since my subject matter is so limited and I don't have any photos that I would call dramatic in their impact.
  • urbanmoonurbanmoon Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    DLC Photo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I am not having that issue at all, on my end. I will investigate it, though I am not sure how to correct it.... If anyone else is having this problem, is seeing it on my site, or knows how to correct it, please let me know.

Under Linux with Chrome it's fine, no problems as described.
    -- Anita

http://www.urbanmoon.ca

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
    edited August 7, 2013
    TomRoper wrote: »
    I've been loving the new SmugMug layouts, there are some great sites out there. Any feed back on the changes I've made is appreciated.

http://www.thomasroper.com

Your homepage suggests that the three images at the bottom are galleries and should be clickable, but they are not. The portfolio link goes to the galleries, but they do not match the wildlife/landscapes/events listed on the homepage - instead we get birds/events/landscapes/macro. It's a little confusing. Perhaps take the three images off the homepage and just say what you do. People can easily find the galleries.

You might want to put a home link on your menu bar. I had to click on your icon to get there.

Your 'about' would look better if you made the text into short paragraphs. See mine.

Excellent images!
  • TomRoperTomRoper Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Your homepage suggests that the three images at the bottom are galleries and should be clickable, but they are not. The portfolio link goes to the galleries, but they do not match the wildlife/landscapes/events listed on the homepage - instead we get birds/events/landscapes/macro. It's a little confusing. Perhaps take the three images off the homepage and just say what you do. People can easily find the galleries.

You might want to put a home link on your menu bar. I had to click on your icon to get there.

Your 'about' would look better if you made the text into short paragraphs. See mine.

Excellent images!

D'oh! I totally forgot to change those images to links on the homepage. I wanted to make them more of a shortcut.
    Still working on adding more verbage and content. Should have waited..

Thanks for the feedback!
    edited August 7, 2013
    Thanks Rob! I know your site and have browsed it more than once -- outstanding work.
    You do me a great honour, sir! The truth is my photography is good because I have so much free time and spend it on photography. My wife is not a golf widow but a Canon widow :D
    I will have to look into the gradient thing. I don't have a photo program at this time but would like to get one.

Try my background out - just download (virus free) and save to your PC. Then change your theme - but make sure you give the theme a new name or you may lose the hessian. http://www.mediafire.com/?u2bltuwblta1dwd
  • cwdesigncwdesign Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Just migrated my site to the new Smugmug.. made some changes to the navigation. Take a look and let me know what you think.

lajoiefoto.smugmug.com
    www.adrianalajoie.com
    Bruce
    www.adrianalajoie.com
    lajoiefoto.smugmug.com
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    cwdesign wrote: »
    Just migrated my site to the new Smugmug.. made some changes to the navigation. Take a look and let me know what you think.

lajoiefoto.smugmug.com
    www.adrianalajoie.com

On this page:

http://lajoiefoto.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Family-Portraits

It looks like you would benefit from this modification of mine, to avoid cutting peoples' heads off at the top of the frame:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237488

Apart from that, the site looks amazing! Love the background.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    hmmm. Trying IE8 on the laptop,

IE8 not supported in New SmugMug.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93252
  • Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    No quite finished, but here it is!
    http://www.sniper-photo.com