Need C&C

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 23, 2010 in Technique
Not sure exactly where the best place to post this, anywhos.........

I am not a kid baby photographer so I am looking for help here with some critique, and ideas.

Disclaimer these are of my neighbors grand kids. Ran over with the camera and tried to chase the little girl around, but she would have none of it until she got her grubby little paws on the ice cream bar. The baby couldn't run, but he put up a heck of a battle. Whew!

Would you consider these professional? If you were mummy or daddy and paid for these would you be happy? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!

Sam

1018573473_8yFBP-M-1.jpg

1018573322_jbnva-M-1.jpg

1018573783_6vnjW-M.jpg

1018574206_Xqw3L-M-1.jpg

1018574254_DwNAp-M-1.jpg

1018574437_4CCXg-M-1.jpg

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    62 views????

I can't believe there are 62 people who know less about babies and kids then me! :D

Sam
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    62 views????

I can't believe there are 62 people who know less about babies and kids then me! :D

Sam

uh...Wrong...that makes 63! well, 62 really caused I looked and ran away!:D

1. Would I consider these professional? yes, cause you took them!

2. I wouldn't be happy because as the dad I didn't do anything to prepare the kids for the photo session, as in plan some wardrobe and some activities and have you over before hand just to be near them to get them used to the idea that this cat is gonna be around and to ignore him...unless he has candy or bubbles or some such to share.
    As far as the little guy goes, it's hit and miss, but it is very often dictated by the parental units. I wouldn't even ask you to shoot them on the same day unless I could take time with each of them to keep them interested in activities or just get them fired up!

3. Ideas and thoughts? Gees, I think shooting all these kind of things is so parental dependent. I've shot kids where the parents were on it, and they turned out lovely. And I've shot kids where the parent had the audacity to threaten the kid with a spanking in the midst of my shoot!

All that said, several of the photos made me laugh right out loud...but then I love kids!

Big help, huh?thumb.gif
    tom wise
    Thanks Tom!!!

Yes there was no preparation. I would crop the bottom off of #1.

Sam
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Thanks Tom!!!

Yes there was no preparation. I would crop the bottom off of #1.

Sam

Yeah, not a big fan of the "lumpy-gravy' diaper look!
    tom wise
  • StephanyStephany Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    Would you consider these professional? If you were mummy or daddy and paid for these would you be happy? Any other thoughts? Sam
    __

Sam, good question. Some parents may love these photos and happily pay for them but others may find them too 'informal'.

I think Tom Wise said it well. You did the best you could, but perhaps politely suggesting to move the kids to a better location (don't you find the upholstery pattern behind the baby too harsh?) or, comb their hair or change the diaper or, something could make a world difference.

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    I think #2 & #3 are worthy of you. The others, well, I think YOU think they're snapshots. I think you're pretty brave to even attempt teeny tyke shots.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    Here are my thoughts on each (and this is from a parent's perspective, not a photographer's perspective. Because I'm a parent, not a photographer)

1. You cut off the kids feet. I would move him up in the frame a touch so you get all of him in the picture.
    2. This is my favorite of the bunch. I love the look on his face, and the look of determination in his eyes. Any parent would be happy to pay for this one.
    3. This one is pretty good, too, but the out of focus arm (from the chair) in the front is a little distracting. I would try changing your position so the arm isn't in the way.
    4. Did you get any where you are focused on his feet? A lot of parents think their kids feet are adorable. Move his feet a little up and closer together, get a tad more depth of focus so you can see a little definition in the face, and I think you have a winner.
    5 & 6. Seem to be just snapshots, but she's still a cutie. The flash is a bit harsh in #5. It left a pretty dark shadow under her face, and washed her color out a little. Can you shoot natural light and adjust subject exposure in post?

Anyways, just my two cents. Remember, I'm just a parent and not a photographer, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
  • StephanyStephany Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    I just looked at my baby ‘studio’ photos taken many moons ago. In most, I sit like a dumpling. But, some are more cheerful and I remember my mum saying the photographer waved a toy next to the camera to make me giggle. Not sure if this is relevant but just thought I mention it.
    Thanks everyone!!!!

This is helpful. I will study these with your comments and improve next time.

It really helps to hear that other perspective.

Pickerbw: Thanks for the # by # critique

I like #4, but it seems that no one else does. I will think on that a bit.

I went back over my shots and think I have some much better shots than
    the ones I posted.

Got some direction..........thanks!

sam
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    I like #3. I don't mind the background.

The others do look a bit snapshottish. Sorry. #5 for example looks to me (and I'm not an expert at this so I could be wrong) but just a bit of on camera flash. (and what is that in the background, a big fat knee?) I would not pay any money for these.

#4 the feet just don't do it for me.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    I like #4, but it seems that no one else does.
    I like # 4 a lot. It's different, and it just reached out and grabbed me.
    (But then again, I never was one for following rules...)

--- Denise
    I like #3. I don't mind the background.

The others do look a bit snapshottish. Sorry. #5 for example looks to me (and I'm not an expert at this so I could be wrong) but just a bit of on camera flash. (and what is that in the background, a big fat knee?) I would not pay any money for these.

#4 the feet just don't do it for me.

No reason to be sorry...................I asked for honest critique. I would rather have an honest negative critique, than some namby pamby stuff. :D

I like most here are trying to improve.

Sam
    I like # 4 a lot. It's different, and it just reached out and grabbed me.
    (But then again, I never was one for following rules...)

--- Denise
    God bless your little heart. iloveyou.gif

Sam