As long as we're on the subject...

2»

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    I agree with everyone who finds the judges comments to be laughable. There the kind of comments you get when a judge just didn't like an image, gave it a low score, and is forced by the club rules to write something explaining why the score is low.

That said, I don't like the color version. I think it is cluttered and the colors (including the poster) are distracting. The B*W version, especially the crop, make the image great.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Look at his pants. Look at his shoes. Look at the heavy bags. Look at the speed bag. We are in a boxing gym. He is a boxer, taking a break. Anyone who has ever seen any boxing images, or boxers, or boxing gyms, does not needs road map or encyclopedia do know what the title of this image means. I realize I am on the verge of being rude - or I have already crossed into that territory, but come on.headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

sorry, he is wearing cargo pants and maybe hiking/work boots. We are in boxing gym but the dude is not obviously a boxer...it's just some dude leaning against a bag.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    sorry, he is wearing cargo pants and maybe hiking/work boots. We are in boxing gym but the dude is not obviously a boxer...it's just some dude leaning against a bag.

Their aren't any elements in this image to suggest that he is the janitor ,say for example a mop and bucket or broom or anything to suggest that he is not a boxer.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    That might work out .I might try wide open crank up the iso,but you have to nail the focus,the flare comes from the light bouncing around inside the lens with a narrow aperture .

Yes but you can get stars (pretty dramatic)

DSC1096-XL.jpg

Tim Bols shoots into the sun very effectively, it works in clubs/concerts
    Rags
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    This is getting pretty argumentative.

Titles are teasers, metaphors to invite viewing. Many titles may fit an image, none alter the image; that has to stand on it's own.
    Rags
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Any comments - good or bad - are appreciated. They make me see things
    in my own photo that I didn't see before.

{clip}

I would like to do a series on the boxers, but I can't use flash when
    they are in the ring and I don't have a lens that works well in the
    lighting without flash.

Stepping aside from the current discussion. You should do a quick search on Seastack. He posted a boxing series a short while ago that was outstanding. A fast prime, opened wide and prefocused at a set distance within the ring and just shoot whenever you think the action is in your zone. Of course, being ringside helps.