D800 on Nikon USA website

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited July 27, 2012 in Cameras
Holy DSLR Batman.:barb Do I dare wait for the D400 or pull the trigger on this beauty. I still need more fps, wonder what the buffer will do. And they use the same battery as the D7000 which I already have 3 of.
The wedding photogs and landscape junkies will be happy
D800
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Just got my D7000, which is more than sufficient for me, BUT OMG IT'S NEW AND SHINY
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    I really like my D7000 sensor wise but it lacks a bit in AF and buffer capacity compared to the my D300
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Holy DSLR Batman.wings.gif Do I dare wait for the D400 or pull the trigger on this beauty. I still need more fps, wonder what the buffer will do. And they use the same battery as the D7000 which I already have 3 of.
    The wedding photogs and landscape junkies will be happy
    D800

For Nikon to make a D400 worthwhile, it's going to have to be well under $2K, AND offer 8 FPS, AND have even greater pixel density than the D800 in DX crop mode. (16 MP, like the D7000)

This all points to a 24 megapixel D800 that can pump 6-8 FPS, at least maybe in 12-bit compressed RAW mode.

Honestly? Bring it on! When it comes to megapixels, I only really care about landscapes and whatnot. And when it's time to shoot landscapes, I just don't have the $$ (or the back / shoulder strength) for the likes of the full-frame behemoths such as the 14-24 and 70-200. I'd MUCH rather have a 400 and a Tokina 11-16 and a Sigma 50-150. Ahhh, that'd be such a sweet kit!!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    The D800E (sans anti aliasing filter) sounds awesome but does this mean D700 owners who shoot low light action now have only one upgrade path (the D4)???
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on the D800: (A quote from an article I just wrote on SLR Lounge)

"Actually, Nikon has had a long history of NOT being afraid to develop a more affordable camera that totally under-cuts it’s previous, more expensive model. First, in 2003 the D70 versus the D100. Then, the D300 versus the D2X. Then, the D700 and the D3. Now, the D800 and the D3X. This is one of the reasons why I like Nikon as a brand- they always outdo themselves, on a level that I can afford."

That's really all there is to it, for me. I'm not gonna be buying the D800, it's just not for me and my line of work. But I'm awful proud of Nikon, once again, for just shattering all of our concepts about price ranges and marketing strategies. I'm sure that anyone who bought a D3X in the last couple months is VERY annoyed right now, but hey, that's Nikon for you. I'd rather be annoyed for that reason, than for most any of the "Canon-ish" reasons.

=Matt=
    edited February 7, 2012
    Internaut wrote: »
    The D800E (sans anti aliasing filter) sounds awesome but does this mean D700 owners who shoot low light action now have only one upgrade path (the D4)???

To be honest, I think most D700 users just haven't even bothered worrying about upgrading yet! I know I haven't. The D700 is just such a great camera, I'm not really dying to upgrade.

However, a couple points:

1.) The D3s is also a great upgrade path. Within a year's time, as the D4 begins to saturate the market, I'm betting we'll be able to snag a used D3s for the same price as a new D800.

2.) Also, I don't think Nikon is done. Within 1-2 year's time, we'll probably also see the D4 sensor get reborn in a more affordable camera body. An FX D7000 for $1999? I dunno I'm just guessing randomly now... ;-)

=Matt=
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    The question is who currently owns a D700 who is planning on buying a D800?
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    The question is who currently owns a D700 who is planning on buying a D800?

Not me, not now...I had the money in March of 2010...but bought a D700...and I'm not all that enamored with the 36 MP sensor. I'm sure it'll be a great portrait camera. The Price is right. B&H has them for $2999 this morning.

The time to sell your D700 for $2200 or so was before the D800 came out. And, if I'd known that the D800 was for sure going to be a $3K camera, I might have done that. But, there will be a lot of D700's on eBay pretty quickly.

I guess Nikon doesn't want Canon winning the Pixel war this time. Hmmm...maybe Canon has a 40 megapixel 5D3 waiting in the woodwork.

One thing for sure, at 36 MP...it's a competing with the 40 MP digital backs and for a lot less.

Anyways, here's the D800 link to B&H this morning.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/NID800*/Ntt/NID800*/N/0
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    It will be interesting to see how the output of these new cameras compares to Sigmas latest offering and if this causes Sigma to reassess their rather absurd pricing. Priced in USD, the D800 looks very competitive.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited February 7, 2012
    WTG Nikon! thumb.gifthumbclap.gifclap

This is an excellent example of competition in the marketplace, and how that benefits the consumer. This is a camera that sets an extremely high benchmark in a number of ways, and probably for a couple of years. This is a camera that will test the mettle of Nikon's best lenses. It will test the power of most computers too, as consumers wrestle with the processing workflow of 36 megabytes of data.

While I can hardly wait for the "official" testers to begin their assessment of the body and sensor, I have little doubt that Nikon has "done it right" in producing a killer camera at a killer price-point. (Sadly, this mostly kills the Nikon D3x, and I feel a bit sorry for D3x owners.)

I would caution comparing this camera's reviews with the 12MP D3 and D3s reviews. This camera should show excellent resolution at low ISO's (of course) but I do expect that the high ISOs should show a significant reduction in "usable" resolution, but probably very comparable to the previous 12MP sensors. In other words this new sensor should gain significant resolution at low ISOs, but not loose effective resolution any more than previous Nikon sensors (with proper post-processing for noise) at high-ISOs, resulting in final "usable" resolution comparable to the previous sensors at nigh-ISOs. Altogether I'm expecting great things for the output.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    DPReview has a hands on preview of a pre-production copy

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonD800/
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    WTG Nikon! thumb.gifthumbclap.gifclap

This is an excellent example of competition in the marketplace, and how that benefits the consumer. This is a camera that sets an extremely high benchmark in a number of ways, and probably for a couple of years. This is a camera that will test the mettle of Nikon's best lenses. It will test the power of most computers too, as consumers wrestle with the processing workflow of 36 megabytes of data.

While I can hardly wait for the "official" testers to begin their assessment of the body and sensor, I have little doubt that Nikon has "done it right" in producing a killer camera at a killer price-point. (Sadly, this mostly kills the Nikon D3x, and I feel a bit sorry for D3x owners.)

I would caution comparing this camera's reviews with the 12MP D3 and D3s reviews. This camera should show excellent resolution at low ISO's (of course) but I do expect that the high ISOs should show a significant reduction in "usable" resolution, but probably very comparable to the previous 12MP sensors. In other words this new sensor should gain significant resolution at low ISOs, but not loose effective resolution any more than previous Nikon sensors (with proper post-processing for noise) at high-ISOs, resulting in final "usable" resolution comparable to the previous sensors at nigh-ISOs. Altogether I'm expecting great things for the output.
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Unbelievable thumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Nikon has made me proud today :ivar Cant wait to see some of the reviews.
    Gary
  • kirbinsterkirbinster Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    icon3.gif<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Donations urgently needed -- please read.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1c7a2; COLOR: #d1c7a2" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Nikon has just announced the release of the D800 and D800e. I need a D800e but just can't swing it right now. So, please get out your wallets and make a contribution so that I can get one of these babies right away. As thanks for your participation, once the total funds needed have been provided to me I will donate my well maintained Nikon D700 to the person that contributes the most money.

Thanks in advance for helping me out smile.gif<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    Nikon D700, D300, D5000 , Nikon 85mm f/1.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII, 70-300AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 10.5mm Fisheye, Sigma 12-24mm, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, 2 SB-600 Speedlights Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    I like what this means for the Canon 5DIII. If it is 18-22mp, which I think is very likely, it will have to offer the 45pt AF system at a minimum, preferably the 61pt system, and 8-10fps in order to compete with the D800. If it doesn't it will have to retail at $1995.

I'm not even considering the possibility that it is over 30mp. I don't think Canon is there yet. And that's perfectly fine with me.

What a great time to be a DSLR shooter.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited February 7, 2012
    Just ordered some lenses..ect from B&H. I asked about delivery for the 800...he said about two weeks..headscratch.gif
    That information and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee..
    Gary
  • mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    I like what this means for the Canon 5DIII. If it is 18-22mp, which I think is very likely, it will have to offer the 45pt AF system at a minimum, preferably the 61pt system, and 8-10fps in order to compete with the D800. If it doesn't it will have to retail at $1995.

I'm not even considering the possibility that it is over 30mp. I don't think Canon is there yet. And that's perfectly fine with me.

What a great time to be a DSLR shooter.

Indeed! And yes, please (for the Canon 5DIII)!
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    The D800 will be smaller than the D700

Nikon-d800-vs-Nikon-D700-size-comparison.jpg
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
    edited February 7, 2012
    Adorama just sent me a email that included this time frame.
    Gary
    The Nikon D800 will be available in March at a list price of $2999.95. The D800E will be available in April for $3,299.95. Pre-orders are being accepted now; click on the links to pre-order the Nikon D800
  • DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    As I posted on another thread, I'm still holding out for the D300 replacement assuming it gets released this year. My concern is that it's been in the rumor mill since about 2008 and I'm starting to wonder if the D7000 is in fact that replacement. if the D300 was 16mp I'd jump all over it, I want more than 12 but less than the behemoth 36 which is right were that replacement should fall. Please Nikon release the D400 in the next couple of months.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    DigiScapes wrote: »
    As I posted on another thread, I'm still holding out for the D300 replacement assuming it gets released this year. My concern is that it's been in the rumor mill since about 2008 and I'm starting to wonder if the D7000 is in fact that replacement. if the D300 was 16mp I'd jump all over it, I want more than 12 but less than the behemoth 36 which is right were that replacement should fall. Please Nikon release the D400 in the next couple of months.

same here, that rumor I read on Nikonrumors.com was that the D400 is expected to be announced in March.

That would make sense because the D4 was announced in January (with availability in February), then they announced the D800 (with availability in March), so the logical step is the D400 being announced in March with availability in April.

I really hope Nikon doesn't kill off their pro body DX camera.
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    What Jack said. I'm excited.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Hurray! Time for me to get a D700! (Except that means getting all new glass too....)
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    There is a video up now called "Joy Ride" which is amazing:

http://vimeo.com/36305675

It's basically a showpiece for the camera, but damn the only way they could more directly market this camera to me would be to have a V-Strom on there lol3.gif

I feel like Wayne right now......"It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine."
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited March 21, 2012
    Imaging Resource's sample images have posted:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d800/nikon-d800A7.HTM
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • D3XwannabeD3Xwannabe Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    DigiScapes wrote: »

Brian:

I read somewhere (unfortunately, I don't remember WHERE -- maybe nikonrumors.com?) that Nikon expects to unveil the D400 some time this Fall.

Cheers,

CARL
    D3XWannabe
    CARL
    D3XWannabe
  • DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    I read the same thing recently but I got tired of waiting and bought a D800, I've had it about 2 months now and LOVE IT!
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Not that this is worth anything beyond the electrons used to display it, but I got word today that the D400 is in field testing, pre-review mode. It's supposedly full-frame, weather-sealed and 24MP. AU pricing was hinted at around $1,900