Portrait oriented quicktime movies (.mov) not auto-sizing

Alex_KAlex_K Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
edited August 17, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I have started uploading iPhone movies to my site. I do this pulling them off my phone to my PC just by the cable and then uploading to my site.

Landscape oriented movies are working fine and when you click on them they auto-size to fill your screen width (for example: http://www.knoppermann.com/Various/Random-photos/3152203_hHX277#!i=1665235047&k=DhjMc82). But portrait-oriented videos is another matter entirely. Quicktime on my PC seems to have identified that the video should be oriented portrait and has correctly done this - and then the video has been uploaded to smugmug in this portrait orientation here: http://www.knoppermann.com/Various/Random-photos/3152203_hHX277#!i=1665194175&k=4BPpSLH

But clicking on the video doesnt then auto-size it and in order to see the full video you need to manually select 'web' size.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation?

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Hi Alex! It looks like we're auto sizing the video based on the browser width and not also on the height. I've reported this as a bug. Thanks for pointing it out to us!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Alex_KAlex_K Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    gluwater wrote: »
    Hi Alex! It looks like we're auto sizing the video based on the browser width and not also on the height. I've reported this as a bug. Thanks for pointing it out to us!

No problem! Happy to help SmugMug improve! How can I find out or be notified when bugs are fixed? Is there a forum or blog?

Cheers,
    Alex
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    We use our news blog (in specific the release notes keyword) for that:
    http://news.smugmug.com/
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    Is this fixed? Not sure if this is related but I just posted a thread about the same issue I am having. My wife used her iPhone 4S to video my daugher's open mic. I also used a usb cable and move that file to my PC drive. She posted the video on FB and the orientation (portrait) was correct.

However when I upload the same video into one of my gallery to share, the video is displayed and played backed in landscape (horizontal).

I can't work out how to fix this.

Rgds
    Patrick
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Souwalker wrote: »
    Is this fixed? Not sure if this is related but I just posted a thread about the same issue I am having. My wife used her iPhone 4S to video my daugher's open mic. I also used a usb cable and move that file to my PC drive. She posted the video on FB and the orientation (portrait) was correct.

However when I upload the same video into one of my gallery to share, the video is displayed and played backed in landscape (horizontal).
    Patrick,
    This doesn't sound like the issue reported in this thread (which appears to be resolved if you look at the links from the OP. Please contact our HelpDesk with details.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero