Options

12 hours in Amsterdam

ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Journeys
I just got back from a trip with friends to Egypt. On our way there we had a 12 hour layover in Amsterdam. We had been there a few months back for Queen's Day so this time I got around to experimenting with street photography and looking for the little things instead of the normal tourist things like I did last time.

8am ATM
atm.jpg

We all took turns using this ATM since it was the only one we could find working. While I was waiting this bike just kept speaking to me. And for some reason I liked it better framed with my friend using the ATM machine...

Miranda
miranda.jpg

This place was close by where we stayed a few months ago. It was funny to us since our friend Miranda was with us on this trip and took a ton of photos in front of it. I loved the color of the place and waited until she and her boyfriend walked in front of it to capture it.

I also liked this building in black and white:

miranda2.jpg

These winking Santas made me laugh. I kept trying to get people to walk in front of them for more of an effect but people kept waiting for me take a photo. I tried waiting more and more but by then my friends were several blocks away and I had to run to find them.

santa.jpg

The classic wooden shoes
shoes.jpg

Just another day in Amsterdam...
tram.jpg

Wok 2 Walk: The pinnacle of Dutch cuisine
wok2walk.jpg

I'm not kidding, most food around Amsterdam is terrible and very expensive. Wok 2 Walk is fairly affordable and amazing.

Bikes. Bikes everywhere.
bikes.jpg

I liked the stickers someone added to this crosswalk sign:
crosswalk.jpg

My friend looking at a tag outside the Heineken Experience
dawg.jpg

This girl just had a presence about her. She had a pocket of space around her, she was storming down the street and people just moved well out of her way. The back of her jacket had "OBJECT" stamped on it which we felt was funny, unfortunately my quick photo before she was out of range of my 17-55 was a big blurry. :(

object.jpg

This girl was on the phone for quite a while as we took a breather while we waited to meet up with a friend who lives in Amsterdam. I wondered what the phone call was about since she seemed very concerned.
phone-call.jpg

Taking a photo of someone taking a photo. I tried all day to do this but this was the only shot that came out of my many attempts to record people as they were recording something else.
phototaker.jpg

UR DOIN IT WRONG
doinitwrong.jpg

This guy nearly caused an accident trying to pull this U Turn and then got stuck.

The Wok at Wok 2 Walk. Before we headed back to the airport we enjoyed some excellent Wok 2 Walk
wok.jpg

It was a cold day of fun before a long trip into Egypt. Hopefully I will get to processing and posting the Egypt photos before 2010 gets here.

Comments

• Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Very nice. It's alway great to see other parts of the world.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Nice series! ive bin in amsterdam two times, i reccon all the streets you walked on!

Very very dangerous city to walk in i think. Bikes, cars, railwagons are just everywhere :D
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Once when I was in Holland, a local told me that after WW2 the gov't there bought a huge amount of bikes and just put them out on the streets. You get on one, ride it to the next pub, cafe, or what not, park it, and get on another when you come out, and leave. Come after hours, those bikes are over flowing the bike racks. Thanks for the memories of Holland. Right of Way: Pedestrian first, bicycle second, and auto last. Novel idea, eh?

Nice series.thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    midimanmidiman Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    leaforte wrote:
    Once when I was in Holland, a local told me that after WW2 the gov't there bought a huge amount of bikes and just put them out on the streets. You get on one, ride it to the next pub, cafe, or what not, park it, and get on another when you come out, and leave. Come after hours, those bikes are over flowing the bike racks. Thanks for the memories of Holland. Right of Way: Pedestrian first, bicycle second, and auto last. Novel idea, eh?

Nice series.thumb.gif

I side note on Amsterdam - I have to admit that one of the best parades I ever saw was when I happened to be in Amsterdam for gay pride weekend. The floats on the canals were indescribable - funny, complicated, silly, and even outrageous.

A great city for those with high "tolerance" levels.
    Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 18-250mm, Canon 100-400mm L IS, Sigma 10-12mm, plus way too much othe stuff in my camera bag.

My SmugMug
    johnnytraveler
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    That "Object" woman has an AWESOME coat! *yoink* I like her attitude, too.

Glad you spent those 12 hours outside of the airport! I gotta try this Wok to Walk lol3.gif

Yeah, show us some abandoned pyramids next :D
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    leaforte wrote:
    Once when I was in Holland, a local told me that after WW2 the gov't there bought a huge amount of bikes and just put them out on the streets. You get on one, ride it to the next pub, cafe, or what not, park it, and get on another when you come out, and leave. Come after hours, those bikes are over flowing the bike racks.

You know they tried that free bike experiment many years ago in Portland with bikes painted yellow. What happened though is they'd get flat tires and just left on the roadside. And the bikes would disappear after only a couple of days on the streets (thrown in the river? headscratch.gif). These days, you can't find any, even though the initial experiment put hundreds of free bikes out there.

Cool series of Amsterdam photos though. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    Funny, I could draw the tour you walked on a map from your photos :D

"Just another day in Amsterdam..." That is in front of the Scheltema Bookstore. My nr1 favorite place in Amsterdam.

Very nice series! thumb.gif