Options

Hockey Shots

ChiefShotzChiefShotz Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 26, 2014 in Sports
I take photos of hockey games, I have the camera and lens setup taken care of with a D7100 and the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 vrii, but I am unsure of what flashes to buy along with remote triggers etc. Any suggestions? Based on the Mid Range price options.

Comments

• Options
    john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    Hi Chief. Welcome to Dgrin. Not many hockey shooters here now. Most shooters do not use flash. It takes too much time to set up and you can only cover so much of the ice. Also you may get some static from the coaches who may feel the flash is distracting to their players. If you are shooting tournaments you would not have time. I would suggest you watch the pros. In most cases they try to shoot above the glass or from the bench. What type of shooting do you do? Do you shoot the play or individual players. Are you shooting for fun or do you hope to sell some of your pics. Check out some of the sport threads for additional info. John
  • Options
    ChiefShotzChiefShotz Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2014
    Hi John

I like to shoot the action mainly, I would love to be able to sell my pictures as I have had a lot of positive feedback, but I need to get permission from my local team, I wrote to to BCHL league who have said they have no issue with me selling but I would like to clear it with the team as well.
  • Options
    john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    Hi Chief. Have you read Jack's (jmphotocraft) comments under Part Timers Career Post Mortom? If you go into the sports archives you will find a lot of good advice from hockey shooters. Insofar as making any money you will find the most interest is from parents of very young hockey players. As the players age it becomes less important. I restrict my shooting to teams that my grandchildren play for. It is strictly a hobby and on occasion I do get asked to provide a photo. You will find the pros shoot individual players and not the play. For the most part they are using 300 2.8 lens. If you shoot the play you want a face(without the cage cutting the eyes)the puck and action. Have fun and post some photos when hockey starts up again in the fall. With my guys both hockey and soccer are year round endeavours. John