Size does matter!

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 24, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
As I mentioned earlier, my boss was kind enough to let me borrow his EF 100-400L for a couple of weeks. I took advantage of this offer (in addition to the moon shots:-) and visited a couple of late nite marching band competitions.

Here are few samples (all handheld):

41206606-L.jpg

41202470-L.jpg

41203530-L.jpg

(this one is at full 400, in a very dark corner of the field):
41201132-L.jpg

The bleachers were packed with parents, as usual, many handling all sorts of cameras and camcorders. But nobody had anything remotely reminding the off-white 400mm (even without the hood:-).

Boy, did I get a "re5pec7":-), both from other photographers and just a plain crowd. People were "ducking" and moving, trying not to obstruct my view, even though I didn't ask for it. I got to get to the field (before - a big "no-no") - no questions asked. Several people approached me with the questions if and where they can get the pictures (never happened before:-)...

Funny how the "looks" work:):

Enjoy late nite shooting!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I wonder if it is the white color of the lens that got you in. They sure get me noticed for sure. In this case it was good to be noticed. Keep up the great work!
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Don't forget quantity either. I shot the marching band competition for the High school where I graduated and was in the marching band for three years (took the fourth year off due to politics). Had my 10D and 20D out and the 75-300 on one and 28-135 on the other and kept getting asked questions bout cameras all day.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    (unless there's an agency already shooting a competition) you're right - it's all in the look. If you look like you belong, you do belong.

Careful though, do enough marching band and competitions and next thing you know you'll be getting calls to come to a school for a special event they want covered. icon10.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Thanks, lucky!
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I wonder if it is the white color of the lens that got you in. They sure get me noticed for sure. In this case it was good to be noticed. Keep up the great work!
    Too bad I had to return it ot its rightfull owner:cry
    Oh, well, one day I have me my own:-)
    Cheers!
    edited October 24, 2005
    That's true, too
    Don't forget quantity either. I shot the marching band competition for the High school where I graduated and was in the marching band for three years (took the fourth year off due to politics). Had my 10D and 20D out and the 75-300 on one and 28-135 on the other and kept getting asked questions bout cameras all day.
    And lately I've been thinking of a spare body more and more. It's such a pain to switch a long tele to a med-wide..ne_nau.gif During the last night only I switch 4 or 5 times, god knows what I missed while switching, and I know for sure I'd switch more often if it were not taking so freaking long..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited October 24, 2005
    Steve,
    StevenV wrote:
    (unless there's an agency already shooting a competition) you're right - it's all in the look. If you look like you belong, you do belong.
    Yep, that's my point also. Still need to create a badge though:-)
    Careful though, do enough marching band and competitions and next thing you know you'll be getting calls to come to a school for a special event they want covered. icon10.gif
    Well, that's the goal - be noticed and get called.:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif