Frustrated with "fix" of thumbnail cropping. Please implement Bulk Cropping!

afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited October 3, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Hey folks -

I'm very frustrated with the update to the thumbnail cropping tool. The only thing it changed was the need to go back to the gallery before cropping the next image. We still must wait much too long for each image to process before going on to the next image.

PLEASE implement something like the bulk zoom thumbnail hack where we can adjust a page of images at once before processing all at the same time. This saves a huge amount of time even in small galleries. In galleries of hundred of images that need to have square thumbs adjusted, the current method (the hack aside) is completely unusable.

A request on Uservoice for making thumb cropping faster was completed, which is technically correct because the original request was for moving to the next photo without going back to the gallery. That completely misses the point as the time savings in the current new method is minimal compared to what is possible.

I have created a new request on uservoice. Please, if you find this as critical as I do, add your votes to it. Here's the link:

http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/337302-create-tool-for-bulk-cropping-thumbnails-

I'd love to hear from Andy or someone on the SM team about whether this is a possibility or if I'm just dreaming. To me, the current implementation is insane.

Thanks!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    For now, use the bulk zoom tool available here on Dgrin - thanks.

We've got many other priorities ahead of this one, I'm sorry - and, we'd love to use some secret stuff we've got brewing, that may mitigate the need for individual cropping - may - we'll see and no, I will say no more on it :)
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Thanks, Andy. Keeping me on the hook with hope is certainly better than nothing!

I understand this can't be a top priority (especially since there is a working hack to mitigate the deficit in normal usability), but I guess I'm frustrated because the square thumbs were never really implemented perfectly. When so many shots need to be re-cropped (mostly portraits), it feels like the square thumbs were not fully thought out - something quite rare for Smugmug.

Thanks!