Warning: This is a taboo discussion

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited June 30, 2014 in Technique
Hi,
I though that this is the right time and the right place to write this think here.

I am trying for some time to find places to study photography, either as online courses or as intensive ones.
No photography is not my major income and I do not think it will be in the future.... Perhaps it might be a period that I might gain a bit (at least I wish that) to be able to support gear expenses.

I have been looking for more information in different forums about where people have studied if they did... so what I find is that most people that they do photography they just do not want to share this information.

I understand and respect that many people perhaps they could not (what ever reason) study in a college or university of arts and some of them are self taught... I just wonder why they have a problem sharing that?

I am coming from a computer science field and I had to work when I was a student as a web developer. At that time I had colleagues at the web design that either have been in a private college to study it or some they have learned it their own way (the best in the department was a self taught guy).

Still I do not think is bad for someone to say "You know what I have learned all these things just by spending time every day" and I think is valid answer. In these fields (as well as to other fields) results matter more than the studies.

As I am trying to see what photographers have studied (for example there are very few that they will have some information about their studies in the "About Me" section in their website.

What is your opinion about the topic? And to be honest I am mostly trying to understand what people study if they do, how they get started and what if these options I can perhaps try my self .

Regards
Alex