Nikon D700

cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited September 20, 2011 in Cameras
Been scouring the US looking for a Nikon D700 .. totally unavailable .. but every once in awhile someone mentions that Nikon is coming out with a D800 in Aug .. but can't substantiate the rumor . anybody heard anything ?:wink ..

Comments

• FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Nikon has a press conference.. but nobody knows which cameras will be released.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Based on past release patterns, the D4 and D400 should be announced soon. Nikon has a press conference on Aug 24. We should see the next generation then. The D800 probably won't be announced then.

NikonRumors.com is the place where the best info is.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011

The best RUMORS anyway :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    nikon D700
    Based on past release patterns, the D4 and D400 should be announced soon. Nikon has a press conference on Aug 24. We should see the next generation then. The D800 probably won't be announced then.

As always the place to be is digital grin . thanks
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    At least wait until the 24th; we'll know a lot more then hopefully.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
    edited August 2, 2011
    Thom Hogan thinks it'll be the D4 and D800 on Aug 24. I'm pretty sure he's got some good sources as well. It'll be interesting.
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    the rumor is that the D800 will be a 24mb camera with full HD. clap.gif
    but it won't be available until october...:cry
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Whatever they come out with, it'll be a feeding fest. I'm out of the market. I had to decide if I should buy a D700 or wait...I bought a D700...so my money is spent for the forseeable future. But, no regrets...very nice, very capable camera. Killer good images. So, I'm a happy owner...and I'm about tired of chasing the NAS...know what I mean.

Another reason that I went ahead and bought my D700 body after the quake in Japan was that I found a new USA model for $2150...below the $2399 that they were going for pre-quake. One of the resellers on Buy.com was offering a $250 discount trying to move product...and didn't realize that they would soon be in short supply.

Buy the way, I've seen refurbished D700's on Amazon...for around 2500 it seems...you might want to go that route. They're warranteed...used Nikons are not...in fact, no used Nikon equipment is warranteed.

Good luck.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    but it won't be available until october...:cry

That gives me time to save up!!! clap.gif
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    I'm betting D4 and D400. D800 next summer. Then, later this year, Canon 1Ds mk4, with the 5D mk4 coming next summer as well. That was what happened with the D3, D300, D700, 1Ds mk3 and 5D mk2 back in 2007 / 2008

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    Wait until August 24th! I think there's an excellent chance that the D400 could end up being entry-level full frame with specs comparable or maybe even exceeding the D700, for less $. The rumor is two full-frame cameras to be announced, so entry-level and expert would make sense. I agree that D800 will be next year.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    I think there's an excellent chance that the D400 could end up being entry-level full frame with specs comparable or maybe even exceeding the D700, for less $. The rumor is two full-frame cameras to be announced, so entry-level and expert would make sense. I agree that D800 will be next year.

I think there's no chance that the D300s replacement (whatever it's called) will be FX. Nikon needs a "prosumer" DX body, they know that too many people like the ergonomics of the D300-class body vs. the D90/D7000, but don't want/need/have the lenses to go FX.

I wonder if the two full-frame cameras means D4 and D700s (using D3s sensor). That would make sense to me, because after the D4 comes out that awesome sensor will not have a home anymore. The D700 gains a stop or two of ISO performance + Nikon gets to keep selling the D700 (or whatever they decide to call it) without having to design an entirely new camera from the ground up = everybody wins!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited August 8, 2011
    I agree that they need need a prosumer DX body, but that's what the D7000 is. If there is a successor to the D300, it will be a D9000. The Dxxx line will be all FF from here on out.

My money is still on D400 (entry-level FF with D90 ergonomics) and D4. It is odd, though, that D700 is out of stock just about everywhere.

16 days...
  • BrentCPhotoBrentCPhoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2011
    My thoughts are if you're in no rush wait till the 24th and see what the new landscape of cameras is going to look like. If there is a new d700 replacement, then you can weigh the options of whether or not you really need the upgraded version. The new camera may end up being more then you really need. Some people dont use video or need 26MP pictures, 26 MP=a pretty sizeable RAW file. The replacements also gonna be really hard to come by, it'll be expensive, and I imagine all the pros who have been waiting for the new model will want to get their hands on it as well. There are two sides to this coin. One is the price of the 700 will drop dramatically pretty quickly. Right now used 700's are going for around 2300-2400, which is insane because in march they were 2349 for a new model, 2699 is way way too high. You will see new and especially used prices of the 700 drop alot once a replacement is reached. Currently I think the best deal is through Nikon's refurbished website for 2159 plus tax with a 90 day warranty. I bought mine two months ago and it came with 120 shutter counts and looked brand spanking new.

To add to the new d700 talk discussion as far as the replacement model goes I'm thinking there HAS to be a 700 replacement. I know the Tsunami has kind of rocked Nikon but stock of the d700 was semi-low even before the tsunami hit. They just weren't stocking them as much as they used to. And i think with the fact that EVERY major retailer doesn't get new models in anymore is very telling. Either Nikon is crippled alot more then they're showing or they're prepping for a new release. Just my two cents.
    edited August 9, 2011
    I agree that they need need a prosumer DX body, but that's what the D7000 is. If there is a successor to the D300, it will be a D9000.

By that logic, the D300/s wouldn't exist, b/c the D90 would be the previous prosumer DX body. D7k replaced/improved upon the D90; it has the same body size and ergonomics as the D90, not the D300. I'm not knocking the D90 at all, I have one and it's a great camera. But the feel of using it is a world away from using my D300. The D90 feels small and awkward in my hands now that I'm used to the feel of and controls on my D300.

I still contend that Nikon needs a D300-class DX body. I'm sure there are other hobbyists out there like me, who have no desire (or means) to switch to FX but who are not pleased at the idea of having to step down a size into a D7k when it's time to upgrade. I've decided - for financial amongst other reasons - that I will remain DX for the foreseeable future, and have built/am building my lens collection around that. I do not plan to upgrade bodies soon, but I hope when my D300 dies that I have a suitable DX body to move into without obsoleting my lenses. I'm not interested in making the D7k my main body (and I don't think I'm alone in that opinion). Do not take this as a knock on the D7k, either. By all accounts it's a brilliant upgrade to the D90, and I'd just like to see them take the same sensor, add the D300 AF system (as is or tweaked), and put it in a D300 size body.
    My money is still on D400 (entry-level FF with D90 ergonomics) and D4. It is odd, though, that D700 is out of stock just about everywhere.

16 days...
    Perhaps an "entry level" FX with D300/D700 ergonomics, but I highly doubt we'll see FX in a D90/D7k size body, and I don't think they would sell an FX body for under US$2k, which is what would be needed to call it "entry level." There are some people out there like Thom Hogan who think they should be going the other way, with a "D3DX" to compete with Canon's 1D line of pro crop bodies.
    The Dxxx line will be all FF from here on out.
    I'm not hung up on nomenclature. Maybe they will change all Dxxx bodies to FX, and call the D300 replacement a D9k. That does seem to be the direction they're going with naming. Unless they leave Dxxxx bodies as "consumer bodies topped by D7k," Dxxx as "high-end consumer with some pro use" and make DX and FX available, and Dx bodies as "pro and/or wealthy hobbyist."
    My site 365 Project
    edited August 9, 2011
    Nikon, for the past 4 years (D3 generation) has named all their cameras with an odd number. D5100, D3100, D7000, etc. After August 24th, for the next four years they will name their cameras with even numbers. So there will be a D4, D800, and D400 (that's my guess). The D7000 replacement should be called the D8000, though it might be called the D7200. There won't be a D9000 until 2015 (if then).

I think we'll see a D4 and a D800, both FX, on August 24th. The D400 should come in 2012 (as should Canon's 5D3). That's just what I feel will happen.

Possible argument for D4 and D400 on Aug 24: The D700 is still a great camera, but the D400 is getting long in the tooth. The D800 can wait until 2012, that way it can be released at about the same time as its Canon competitor.

Possible argument for D4 and D800 on Aug 24: Everyone wants a D800. When it's realeased, it will sell in huge numbers. Also, since Nikon seems to be going the sports/action route with their "affordable" FX cameras, it would make sense to announce the D800 with the D4. The D800 would be a "mini" D4. Remember when the D3 and D300 were announced? There was no D700 yet. The D300 was the "mini" D3. But the D400 won't be the "mini" D4, the D800 will be. Also, the Canon 7D Mark II (D400 competitor) looks like it may be released in 2012 or 2013, and the D400 could wait until then. Also, Sony is releasing the A77, on Aug 23, with probably the same sensor as the D400. Perhaps Sony and Nikon have agreed, since Sony supplied the D400 sensor, that Nikon will not spoil the A77 party / detract attention from it by releasing a D400 a day later. I bet Nikon will optimize that sensor, maybe get some more sensitivity out of it, and waiting until 2012 to release it would make sense, because if they release it a day after the Sony A77, people might think they have the same sensor, when in fact Nikon may have the better one. Of course, maybe Nikon won't optimize the sensor.

I think whichever is released on August 24th, the D400 or the D800, will have to wait until 2012 for its Canon competitor. That puts Nikon at a disadvantage in the long-term, since people who aren't invested in lenses and who want a high-end body will be attracted to the newer Canon, instead of the older Nikon. Just generally, not always. You know, the consumer "newer is better" mindset.

Also, recent rumors point to a Canon 1D Mark V to compete with the D4. Apparently it will be FF/FX. So the D4 should get some competition pretty soon. (I know it's just rumors, but it does make a great deal of sense).
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    I am going to predict the D 800 will have the 3x sensor so they can run more of those and the D 400 and D4 and 4X will all have something new. Unless they put the D7000 sensor in the D400 which might be a way to ramp up he numbers of sensors produced and lower the per sensor cost. When who knows...
    edited August 9, 2011
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    I am going to predict the D 800 will have the 3x sensor so they can run more of those and the D 400 and D4 and 4X will all have something new. Unless they put the D7000 sensor in the D400 which might be a way to ramp up he numbers of sensors produced and lower the per sensor cost. When who knows...

That's an interesting guess. To keep the line sports- and action-oriented, they'd have to find a way to get that sensor to do 8fps. I don't know if it can do that. It would require a lot of processing power (24mp @ 8fps is a lot of data).

I don't think they'll put the D7000 sensor in the D400. That's a good point about lowering the cost per sensor, but I think the masses want more than 16mp. Like I said I think the D400 will use a Sony 24mp sensor, but anything could happen. They'd have to make the D7000 sensor do 8fps, I don't know if it's capable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-12 fps in the D400, D800, or both.
    edited August 9, 2011
    The game is afoot!!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    I agree that they need need a prosumer DX body, but that's what the D7000 is. If there is a successor to the D300, it will be a D9000. The Dxxx line will be all FF from here on out.

16 days...
    If that is your opinion, then my opinion is that I don't think you have shot with all these cameras enough. I have shot for years with the D300 and D700, and have shot a few jobs recently with the D7000 as a backup just to test it out. My IMMEDIATE reaction is that it ONLY "replaces" the D300 / semi-pro DX line on paper, and NOT in the real world, NOT in the hands of anyone who has grown accustomed to the functionality of the higher end cameras. You simply have to shoot with them all to know what I mean. There are just too many key features missing from the D7000 for it to effectively replace the D300s. The metering switches, the button customization... I just can't shoot certain things with a D7000. Sure, it's got the megapixels and a few other things. But it's still an advanced amateur camera.

Nikon has always been very, VERY big on tradition and backwards compatibility. (AKA, "leave no one behind"...) There is simply no way that they will completely cease from making a DSLR of the D300's caliber. When the D300 first came out, it effectively "replaced" the D2X. The D300 has TIF recording, for example. And Nikon, being big on tradition like I said, simply will NOT allow themselves to completely abandon the professional DX system that they spoke so highly of, and worked so hard to sell, (17-55, 12-24, etc.) ...just five years ago. So, in my opinion, there will always be a D300-quality DSLR body coming out from Nikon. The company that made the F6, for crying out loud!

Of course that is mostly all just my opinion, so at last all I can say is that I will be very disappointed if I don't get a D7000 sensor in a D300s body. I'm kinda looking forward to the thought of such a camera, even as someone who already owns an FX body...

Take care,
    =Matt=
    edited August 10, 2011
    Hey Matt - Lighten up! I never said the D7000 was a D300 replacement. I said it was "prosumer".
    edited August 10, 2011
    Hey Matt - Lighten up! I never said the D7000 was a D300 replacement. I said it was "prosumer".
    Indeed, but your point / implication was that this is the end of the line for Nikon's semi-pro DX lineup, and my point is that I believe Nikon is too steeped in tradition for that to happen any time soon. Like I said, Nikon is the company that still made the F6, a new 35mm film camera, in 2004 when DSLR's had already taken over almost the entire industry of photography.

That, and it would be completely un-precedented for Nikon to release two cameras at the same time, with the same sensor. If you go back and look at EVERY camera ever announced that "shares a sensor" with another camera, you'll note that they were almost all released about a year apart. The D3 and D700, the D300 and the D90, the D200 and the D80, the Canon 1Ds mk3 and the 5D mk2, etc. etc. So, again just going off of history, I'm 99% positive that in ~2 weeks we'll be seeing a ~16 megapixel FF D4, and a 16 megapixel DX D400. Then the ~16 megapixel D800 will come out within 8-14 months. But, this is all guessing and light-hearted conjecture, of course!

=Matt=
    edited August 10, 2011
    You still need to read my post, again.. I'll save you a click:
    Everyone is hung up on the Dxxxx line being less-than-pro, while I believe it will simply evolve into their DX line.

Here's some more food-for-thought.. Doesn't a "pro" DX sensor become obsolete, when an FX sensor can be cropped to 18 MP and outperform a D300s? How far away are we from seeing that?

This is fun...:lurk
    edited August 10, 2011
    The FX body you mention that could do 18mp DX would cost way more than a D300 replacement. Sure, pros who could afford a D4 probably wouldn't buy it, but there is a huge market for a $1500 pro DX body.

They could put all the controls and features of a D300s replacement into a body and call it the D9000 (actually a D8000 because of the naming system), but it would be $1500 or more. There's a huge market for a camera like that, but there's also a huge market for an $1100 prosumer DX body! As well as a market for the D5100 and D3100.
    edited August 10, 2011
    Everyone is hung up on the Dxxxx line being less-than-pro, while I believe it will simply evolve into their DX line.

As I said:
    I'm not hung up on nomenclature. Maybe they will change all Dxxx bodies to FX, and call the D300 replacement a D9k.
    When I say "D400" I simply mean "D300 replacement." Whatever they end up calling it is irrelevant, IMO.

Matt's (and my) point is that there should be a D7000 and a D300 replacement. Calling the D7000 the "prosumer" DX body implies that the D300-class DX body will be allowed to die, and I think that's a mistake. There has been a market for both the D90 and D300, so I don't think they'll let the D300 be the last of its kind.
    Here's some more food-for-thought.. Doesn't a "pro" DX sensor become obsolete, when an FX sensor can be cropped to 18 MP and outperform a D300s? How far away are we from seeing that?

I doubt it, since they don't have a ~40MP FX sensor, and I doubt we'll see one from Nikon (well, in the D4x, probably, but then you lose sensel size and won't have the high-ISO capability that I expect we'll see in the D4). And ThatCanonGuy has a good point, that would simply be way too expensive for those who want to replace their D300.
    My site 365 Project
    edited August 10, 2011
    You still need to read my post, again.. I'll save you a click:

1.) Agreed. I had the same thought in 2008 when the D700 was released: I was previously quite interested in buying a used D2H, but that idea died instantly because I could do ten times better by simply getting a D700 or D3 and shoot in DX mode. HOWEVER, as others have mentioned, achieving 16-18 megapixels at 1.5x from an FX sensor is not going to happen in the next generation. Maybe it will for Canon, lol. That, and also, again my other point about Nikon simply being more stubborn than progressive- Film is even more obsolete than DX, and yet Nikon still makes the F6. This leads me to GUESS that Nikon will continue to make a semi-pro DX body...

2.) On the other hand, I still don't think that a professional will want to "settle" for a D8000 or D9000 as a transition from the D300s. Unless this D8000 / D9000 you're talking about has the same exact control button layout and customizability as the D300s has, which I had previously assumed was NOT your implication. The control, customizability, and reliability are the reasons I think Nikon will continue to make a true "semi-professional" DX body. That, and the "tradition" reason.

3.) Have you shot extensively with the D300 / D300s, and/or the D700, and/or the D7000? And/or professionally, with any of those cameras? Like I said earlier, I'm just speaking from my experience with all three cameras- as a professional I would really miss Nikon's semi-pro DX line.

4.) Consider how Nikon and Canon approach flagship sports camera bodies: Canon's high-speed camera is 1.3x while Nikon's is full-frame. Both are lower resolution, however Nikon's is even lower resolution than Canon's latest offering. With those facts in mind, can you see how a Canon shooter might be at an advantage shooting telephoto sports while a Nikon user might really wish they had a DX body to compliment their "low" resolution FX body?

5.) Consider lastly the Canon 7D + 60D split. FINALLY, after years of mis-matched market segments, (Nikon D300+D90, vs Canon 50D) ...Canon has also diverged it's "advanced amateur" lineup! Hobbyists / amateurs who simply want something with more features than a rebel can buy the 60D, while advanced amateurs / pros can buy the extremely capable, professionally acceptable 7D. Plain and simple, that puts Nikon in the hot seat. Nikon used to rule the "multiple options" department with the D300 and D90, but now the 7D is superior to the D300s in some ways, while the Canon 60D is also superior to the D7000 in at least one or two ways. So, once again, my conclusion is that Nikon has a necessity for a DX D400.

But of course, that is just my opinionated assessment of the facts! We'll find out the truth very soon. I'm not a betting man, but if I'm wrong and they do make a super-cheap FX D400, I'll happily proclaim my epic fail in this lengthy debate! An FX camera with D90 ergonomics would be a sweet camera, I just think it's more than one generation away at this point...

=Matt=
    edited August 11, 2011
    I agree that FF with 18 MP crop might be a generation off. But, I also think it's entirely possible that a D9000 could eclipse the D300, making it entirely acceptable to pros. I believe the D7000 was given a magnesium body not to be a considered a replacement to the D300s, but rather to add credibility to the Dxxxx line, paving the way for the true D300s replacement, the D9000. And, I never said the D7000 was THE prosumer body. I said it was A prosumer body.

I also never said there wasn't a market for DX, so please don't get so exited.

Finally, if Nikon is about to release D4 and D400 as rumored, please explain to me why D700 is out of stock everywhere if they're not both FF cameras? And if they are FF cameras, how could the D400 not be less expensive than the D700 with better specs? We're talking about three years of evolution.

Or... is Nikon doing a great job keeping a secret and they're releasing a D700s and a D4?

I'll look forward to at least five, well-written paragraphs explaining how none of this makes sense.

:lurk
    edited August 11, 2011
    I agree that FF with 18 MP crop might be a generation off. But, I also think it's entirely possible that a D9000 could eclipse the D300, making it entirely acceptable to pros. I believe the D7000 was given a magnesium body not to be a considered a replacement to the D300s, but rather to add credibility to the Dxxxx line, paving the way for the true D300s replacement, the D9000. And, I never said the D7000 was THE prosumer body. I said it was A prosumer body.

They could call it the D400, the D9000 or the Magic Picture Box for all I care, so long as it is DX and the body is similar in size and ergonomics to the D300/s instead of the D90/D7000, that's all I'm saying.
    jpc wrote:
    Finally, if Nikon is about to release D4 and D400 as rumored, please explain to me why D700 is out of stock everywhere if they're not both FF cameras?

Could the stock issue simply be a case of troubled supply and production chain since the earthquake/tsunami?
    jpc wrote:
    And if they are FF cameras, how could the D400 not be less expensive than the D700 with better specs? We're talking about three years of evolution.

A theoretical entry-level FX might be cheaper than D700, but if so I doubt it would have better specs overall than the D700. I think if it's FX it would be similar to the D300/D90/D5000 series, where the same sensor was used but the bodies had varying levels of specs. I can't see them marketing a camera that is better than the D700 at its introduction for a lower cost. Not saying it can't happen, just that it doesn't make sense to me.
    jpc wrote:
    Or... is Nikon doing a great job keeping a secret and they're releasing a D700s and a D4?

Well, whatever they're releasing, they're doing a great job keeping a secret, or else we wouldn't all be sitting around speculating about 24 August.
    My site 365 Project
    edited August 11, 2011
    Could the stock issue simply be a case of troubled supply and production chain since the earthquake/tsunami?
    Yes, but it's a heck of a coincidence.
    Well, whatever they're releasing, they're doing a great job keeping a secret, or else we wouldn't all be sitting around speculating about 24 August.
    That's for sure! beer.gif
    edited August 11, 2011
    I also never said there wasn't a market for DX, so please don't get so exited.

Finally, if Nikon is about to release D4 and D400 as rumored, please explain to me why D700 is out of stock everywhere if they're not both FF cameras? And if they are FF cameras, how could the D400 not be less expensive than the D700 with better specs? We're talking about three years of evolution.

As I said before, I think it will be two FX bodies.
    Personally, I like getting excited about new cameras :lurk