Sales Tax percentage on Smugmug?

2»

Comments

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    mercphoto wrote:
    You're talking about taxes here. Things are going to get worse before they get absolutely horrible. :(
    It's terrible, isn't it? Things are breaking down to the point they don't work for anyone anymore. I remember in high school civics class that one of the goals of the federal government was to 'regulate interstate commerce'. But the federal government can't because there's already too many fish to fry. So now the states are trying to play nice, but the businesses and consumers are having to deal with the complexities. And there's not going to be an efficient system that works for everyone until someone above the states implements one. But that's not going to happen anytime soon either. What a mess...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • jenniferphotojenniferphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2010
    Does anyone have experience with New York? Each county has it's own rate and it is overwhelming. How do you load up each rate in SmugMug so the consumer gets charged the correct sales tax?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Does anyone have experience with New York? Each county has it's own rate and it is overwhelming. How do you load up each rate in SmugMug so the consumer gets charged the correct sales tax?

If New York is like most states the sales tax you charge is based on where your business is, not where the customer lives.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    If New York is like most states the sales tax you charge is based on where your business is, not where the customer lives.
    This isn't the case in Alabama, and other states as well. I'm not sure how you'd load in multiple tax rates in SM. I'd consult the auditors in the tax agencies to see what they look for as compliance. And I'd talk to at least two different people and note their details in case there's problems later. Tax stuff can get hairy fast...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Exactly what part of the sale is the tax on? The 85% profit you receive is
    income and is reported on a 1099. So are you paying both sales tax and
    income tax on this? Are you also paying sales tax on Smug's 15% profit?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog