DSS 89 - By the Light of the Moon

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited November 14, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I tried getting a few shots of the moon for this challenge - in addition to my twilight skies (see below and earlier thread). Any thoughts on these? And which might be best for the challenge? Images 5-7 are rather small files (due to cropping) so I'm not sure whether to consider them or not. :scratch

C & C welcome! Since this is my first time trying to photograph the moon (#6), I'd welcome your suggestions for future attempts - apart from the challenge. Tried manually focusing on the moon and underexposing for #6. Wanted to get some other elements in the frame for #5 so the moon is less distinct - especially after post-processing it in a way to bring up the light reflecting off of it.

Gretchen

5a. Navigating by the Light of the Moon
i-Q8K9kqC-L.jpg

5b. Early People Had No Need for Flashlights
i-Ldzdcgv-L.jpg

6. Early Days of a Waning (Gibbous) Moon
i-gJCkZkM-L.jpg

7. Early in the Evening
i-WT7C9wG-L.jpg

First time trying to get shots of the moon and first time using my husbands Canon 100-400 - attaching it to a tripod. Definitely a challenge getting to know this lens in the dark!

The other options for this challenge are these twilight shots:

2c. Twilight
i-CrnRFfP-L.jpg

3b. Twilight Glow
i-rvSzxd6-L.jpg

If I stay with 2 or 3 for my entry, I'll work on cleaning up the noise a bit more.

Gretchen

Comments

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited November 13, 2011
    Still hoping for input on whether to think about any of these moon shots or whether you like one of the twilight shots best. Such a busy time of year for us all!

FWIW, this is my latest edit of the moon, trying to blend a gibbous moon layer with more detail and the original:

i-r89zpZj-L.jpg
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Ooh, I really like that latest moon shot..it looks like textured paint; and I also like the twilight 2C...the colors are so lovely!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited November 13, 2011
    Thank you for your input, Kate!
  • powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    I love seeing all of the details of the moon in #6!

I still love the purples of your original entry, beautiful.
    edited November 13, 2011
    Thank you, Powder! Saw your new entry in the mega, and it's looking good!
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Love your latest moon as well as #6 & the pretty colors of #7. #6 is so clear and detailed...amazing. I've never had much luck with the moon. However, even though I love these moon shots, to me they register more "Late" than "Early". GP
    edited November 14, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    Love your latest moon as well as #6 & the pretty colors of #7. #6 is so clear and detailed...amazing. I've never had much luck with the moon. However, even though I love these moon shots, to me they register more "Late" than "Early". GP

Thanks for giving me input on these! I think I'll stay with my current entry. :D