Best Camera bag to fit most gear and still qualify for Airline Travel

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited March 3, 2015 in Accessories
What do people normally do about your grear when you travel on airlines both international and domestic? It seems when Airlines came up with the restrictions, they didn't have photographers in mind.
I can't check in the gear, it will either break or be stolen by TSA.
For me there is no point of travelling if I can't take my camera gear with me, which at absolute minimum would be 5 lenses, 2 bodies, 1 flash, filters, tripod, cleaning equipment.
I could cut down some if I give up on macro-portion of the gear....probably one lens, extension tubes, and flash can be left out.
Still to fit all that, I keep coming up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036B67B6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1PJWG7S1TTX6S&coliid=I1YSEYW89WNT54

Lowepro pro runner or pro Trekker series, and at least 350 or above.

The dimensions are pushing it and weight certainly would.

If I pay the check in baggage fee, would they let me keep the carry on with me?

Please let me know how you handle the travel mess.

Thanks!

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    Pelican 1510 roller.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1510-000-110-Carry-Case-Black/dp/B0002SKHIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1423158887&sr=1-1&keywords=pelican+1510

Its really hard to beat a hard case for protection of your gear, and it fits in overheads.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    If I pay the check in baggage fee, would they let me keep the carry on with me?

Please let me know how you handle the travel mess.
    If the bag doesn't fit in an overhead or under the seat they won't let you carry it on (including if there is no space available).

I've been traveling with an f-stop Loka - http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html#.VNOtgZ3F_ww.

It easily fits the overheads on larger aircraft, fits on smaller (2 seats - aisle - 2 seats) if placed sideways.

I've only had a problem once with overhead space and a flight attendant was able to find a space I could use. The camera and lenses are in an insert that can be pulled out of the bag. I figure worst case I will pull the camera insert out and place it under the seat, then check the (outside) bag. (The full bag is too long to fit under the seat, I was going to try that in the case where I was having problems finding overhead space and I was told it wouldn't be allowed under the seat.)

--- Denise
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Pelican 1510 roller.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1510-000-110-Carry-Case-Black/dp/B0002SKHIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1423158887&sr=1-1&keywords=pelican+1510

Its really hard to beat a hard case for protection of your gear, and it fits in overheads.

Thanks Bill! I would check it out!
    edited February 5, 2015
    If the bag doesn't fit in an overhead or under the seat they won't let you carry it on (including if there is no space available).

I've been traveling with an f-stop Loka - http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html#.VNOtgZ3F_ww.

It easily fits the overheads on larger aircraft, fits on smaller (2 seats - aisle - 2 seats) if placed sideways.

I've only had a problem once with overhead space and a flight attendant was able to find a space I could use. The camera and lenses are in an insert that can be pulled out of the bag. I figure worst case I will pull the camera insert out and place it under the seat, then check the (outside) bag. (The full bag is too long to fit under the seat, I was going to try that in the case where I was having problems finding overhead space and I was told it wouldn't be allowed under the seat.)

--- Denise

Thanks Denise! That helps and gives me idea to have smaller bags handy! I will check out the bag you mentioned!! Appreciate much!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Like Stumblebum, I am petrified to bring along any of my expensive equipment on airlines. Don't trust them - never will. I drive around the country instead of flying when I can, which has it's own rewards. Nevertheless, soon, I must take flight on a vacation where photography will take a front seat. I'm hoping to bring a subset of my equipment with me, and hopefully, my old Lowepro AW 200 will be more than sufficient to do the job as a carry-on. Gladly, I won't need to bring as much with me as the OP, but I can more than understand his concerns with all that gear.

Subscribed to this thread so I can learn more. Admission: I haven't flown since the middle 90's, in fact. rolleyes1.gif

Andy's traveling tips
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    I concur with what Denise said about being able to remove your camera gear from any larger bags if the airlines stops you at the gate and tells you that you have to check your bag.

ALSO- When you buy your plane ticket, try to find out how the airline boards and choose your seat to be in the first boarding group. If you can't do that, even if your bag is airline approved, you might be stopped at the gate and required to check your bag. I've been putting my backpack inside a roller suitcase, so that if they require the roller checked, I can take the bag which fits under my seat.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited February 6, 2015
    You can "wear" one camera around your neck, I believe.
    My Smugmug
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 7, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    You can "wear" one camera around your neck, I believe.
    Would that work for my 500? rolleyes1.gif

I've also read of wearing a camera vest stuffed full of lenses and/or putting camera equipment in large coat pockets. I've never heard of any issues with that strategy but would be interested in hearing otherwise.
    edited February 7, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Would that work for my 500? rolleyes1.gif

Yes, depending on your neck and body size. YMMV

You could also bring along one of those big and long white L lenses that come in the smaller sizes. They are much easier to deal with, and in fact, pocketable.

i-p8JtNvh-XL.jpg

kdog wrote:
    I've also read of wearing a camera vest stuffed full of lenses and/or putting camera equipment in large coat pockets. I've never heard of any issues with that strategy but would be interested in hearing otherwise.

Think about this carefully. Do you want to look like Andy? rolleyes1.gif

I just bought a diminutive SL1 with a 18-55 IS STM to "wear around my neck" for our upcoming trip via airplane. About one pound total, and maybe slightly more with the polarizer, hood, a second battery and charger. That will be my only camera equipment I'll be bringing. That's how I deal with my paranoia with airlines and airports. Stupid and limiting, but better than nothing. And in a way, I want to see how creative I can be with one lens and one body. So that might be good.
    My Smugmug
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 7, 2015
    rolleyes1.gif

This is my new one-lens strategy. nod.gif

529255_551756094864315_1552077138_n.jpg?oh=9ee000f941512ee4d33eefb5bb6aeb4b&oe=5568F64E&__gda__=1435694029_1faefae603fef49c79dd88728e085cbc
    edited February 8, 2015
    You found one?

Yup. I wanted one of those but they went out of production a while ago. The weight wasn't what you'd call friendly, but more than that, the bokeh was terrible. When I viewed test images, all I could think of was waiting until the mkII. Bokeh should be better when they put in the 17 blade rounded iris and weight should be more reasonable. Still, the cost is a bit of a drag.
    My Smugmug
    edited February 9, 2015
    16-600mm looks nice! Still the issue of fitting it in the bag remains!:D
    edited February 9, 2015
    JC wrote: »
    I concur with what Denise said about being able to remove your camera gear from any larger bags if the airlines stops you at the gate and tells you that you have to check your bag.

ALSO- When you buy your plane ticket, try to find out how the airline boards and choose your seat to be in the first boarding group. If you can't do that, even if your bag is airline approved, you might be stopped at the gate and required to check your bag. I've been putting my backpack inside a roller suitcase, so that if they require the roller checked, I can take the bag which fits under my seat.

Thanks JC! Those are good suggestions! Have to be ready if they put a break on you.
  • MarcRaymondMarcRaymond Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2015
    Pelican 1510 roller.

+1....... I agree with merc. This is an awesome travel case. It's perfect for overhead storage and protects your gear with a watertight hard plastic casing. You can use padlocks or a cable security system for added security. I would recommend purchasing the 1519 lid organizer for added storage for the small miscellaneous items.

Here is my case with some of my gear:
    i-LTGPrSv-L.jpg

As you can see there is plenty space for my configuration of 4 lenses, 4 580ExII's, 2 camera bodies, triggers/receivers, video light and plenty of storgae space in the lid for my smaller items. You won't be disappointed with this case for airline travel. thumb.gif
    edited February 12, 2015
    +1....... I agree with merc. This is an awesome travel case. It's perfect for overhead storage and protects your gear with a watertight hard plastic casing. You can use padlocks or a cable security system for added security. I would recommend purchasing the 1519 lid organizer for added storage for the small miscellaneous items.

Here is my case with some of my gear:
    i-LTGPrSv-L.jpg

As you can see there is plenty space for my configuration of 4 lenses, 4 580ExII's, 2 camera bodies, triggers/receivers, video light and plenty of storgae space in the lid for my smaller items. You won't be disappointed with this case for airline travel. thumb.gif

Thanks Marc and Bill! Really appreciate this info. I think this may be the way to go. I can have the hiking camera back-pack separate and use this just for airline travel or events and stuff!wings.gif
    edited February 12, 2015
    Hi Marc, One follow up question, if you read the thread......the weight of this travel case is listed at 12lbs. So we would be exceeding the hand carry luggage limit? Do we get away with it because they don't check because it looks small enough? How does that work? Thanks.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi Marc, One follow up question, if you read the thread......the weight of this travel case is listed at 12lbs. So we would be exceeding the hand carry luggage limit? Do we get away with it because they don't check because it looks small enough? How does that work? Thanks.

I've only had my carry-on luggage weighed once, for a full size aircraft. Knowing that I had all my computer gear, and extra batteries etc in my carryon, and since they don't weigh the carryon at the main security screening, I put a few select heavier items in my jacket pockets and gave the attendents my carryon which was then within the weight limits. Note- I wouldn't do this for a small aircraft where where weight distribution is important and where passenger weight and luggage can make a difference. Plus, I weigh less than the average U.S. airline passenger (although this flight wasn't in N.A.), so I felt I had some leeway to play with my personal weight ;)
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited February 12, 2015
    JC wrote: »
    I've only had my carry-on luggage weighed once, for a full size aircraft. Knowing that I had all my computer gear, and extra batteries etc in my carryon, and since they don't weigh the carryon at the main security screening, I put a few select heavier items in my jacket pockets and gave the attendents my carryon which was then within the weight limits. Note- I wouldn't do this for a small aircraft where where weight distribution is important and where passenger weight and luggage can make a difference. Plus, I weigh less than the average U.S. airline passenger (although this flight wasn't in N.A.), so I felt I had some leeway to play with my personal weight ;)

Thanks JC! It appears that we have no choice but to play hide and seek and be ready for worst case scenario. Kind of sucks. However, this roller thing, with all the gear packed in, and still meets the dimensions, seems like best bet. The reviews on amazon are universally 5 star as well. As we talked before, gots to keep some smaller bags handy. Passport + wallet + camera gear is all I need! ;o)
  • schmoooschmooo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2015
    Pelican 1510 roller.

Agreed. The 1510 is probably your best option.
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2015
    Airline Bag
    I use a Pelican PCS-283 for my gear. It looks like real luggage, It has a computer carrier attachment. It easily fits in the overheads of the A200 Airbus and in the overheads of the smaller commuter lines.
    You can easily reconfigure the inside partitions. None of my gear has ever been damaged in this case.

One problem. It's discontinued, so you have to find one on EBay or craigslist. This my 2nd and I would search for another if I needed it. If I could not locate one of these, I would only replace it with a Pelican 1500!

Good Luck in your search.
  • jnickosonjnickoson Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2015
    Though I tend to carry a little less gear, so I really like my UpRise 28.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EE77QY/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It counts as a personal item for carry on (most airlines allow a carryon and a personal item) and easily holds a body and 3 lenses, with assorted pockets for smaller accessories. Easily fits under the seat as well as gives you quick access to the camera should you see something neat out the window.

I haven't really used tripods much, and therefore haven't bought one or traveled with one, but there are quite a few options out there for lightweight and travel sized tripods that can fit in you carry on. My usual carry on is a large sport/athletic gym type bag, its little over 20" long so has room to stuff a small profile tripod into just fine.

But in a couple weeks I'm heading to Iceland and picked up a manfrotto MKCOMPACTLT to bring along for aurora outings.