Canon 7D Mark II

macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited November 20, 2014 in Cameras
I just purchased a new Canon 7D Mark II today. I have been using a 40D for nearly 6 years and have really enjoyed it. The 7D represents quite an investment for me. I am working my way through the instruction manual. So far so good except for the fact I cannot figure out how to get the exposure meter to be visible in the topside display. I seemed to have figured it out for the view finder, it's on the right hand side of the viewing area, which will take a little getting used to. But still can't make it appear in the topside display. It was visible on my 40D and quite indispensable so naturally I am starting to panic a bit. I am looking through the book and can't figure out how to make that appear up top in the display. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 11, 2014
    By exposure meter I assume you mean the exposure compensation display? Is the camera set to a creative zone, or are you in A+, or B? Exposure comp shows up on the top LCD in M, Av, Tv or P modes.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2014
    I think that's what its called. The line of hash marks or dots with the indicator that moves along that line showing if you're over or underexposed. I am in M but do not see it. I know the camera has an option for selecting what you see in the viewfinder so wondered if I have to "tell" the camera I want that in the top display.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    By exposure meter I assume you mean the exposure compensation display? Is the camera set to a creative zone, or are you in A+, or B? Exposure comp shows up on the top LCD in M, Av, Tv or P modes.
    edited November 12, 2014
    also it does show up in Av, Tv and P modes but not M

David_S85 wrote: »
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2014
    Exposure compensation is disabled in manual mode, as you are in full control of the exposure.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited November 12, 2014
    I was afraid of that. Well that's what you get when you buy a "big boy" camera I suppose! Time to improve my skills! Thanks for the clarification I really appreciate that.
    Exposure compensation is disabled in manual mode, as you are in full control of the exposure.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 12, 2014
    macmassey wrote: »
    also it does show up in Av, Tv and P modes but not M
    Actually Exposure Comp does work in manual mode when used in conjunction with Auto ISO. deal.gif
    (page 120 of the manual)
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2014
    Yeah, you put the dial on M, but it's still an automatic mode. They should put an 'Iv' on the dial for this mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    Now supported by Apple OS X (Yosemite) clap.gifwings.gifclapwings.gif

ISO 800

7A9A1313%20231-XL.jpg
    edited November 19, 2014
    Nice rack! What do you mean by "supported", Dan? DPP?
    edited November 19, 2014
    kdog wrote: »

Raw conversion using Aperture or iPhoto
    edited November 19, 2014
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Raw conversion using Aperture or iPhoto
    Really? Wow, they beat Adobe. :bluduh
    edited November 19, 2014
    Really? Wow, they beat Adobe. :bluduh

I know. That is a first, but it motivated me, and I'm sure others, to upgrade to Yosemite.
  • wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    Not by much. Lightroom 5.7 is now available.
    Steve
    edited November 20, 2014
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Not by much. Lightroom 5.7 is now available.
    Awesome!! clap.gifclap.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited November 20, 2014
    According to this page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/camera-raw.html#supported_cameras

... the latest Adobe Camera Raw 8.7 now supports the Canon 7D Mark II. That should include (IMO):
    Adobe DNG Converter 8.7
    Adobe Photoshop CC
    Adobe Photoshop CS6
    Adobe Lightroom 5.7

Note that most of the above products require a substantial (large file) download in order to upgrade the product.

Also note that, in some cases, computer operating system support may have changed, and some older operating systems may no longer be supported using the Adobe Camera Raw 8.7 component. Seethe following page for more information regarding OS support:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-84-support-policy.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2014
    Drat, now we just need Capture One to get with it.
    edited November 20, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Drat, now we just need Capture One to get with it.

Phase One updates Capture One with Nikon D750 and D3300, Canon 7D II support

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/11/19/phase-one-updates-capture-one-with-nikon-d750-and-d3300-canon-7d-ii-support

ziggy note: You may wish to check for Capture One 8.0.2 release through the update feature of Capture One Pro. I believe that the Mac version is available now. I'm not so sure about the Windows version, however.
    ziggy53
    edited November 20, 2014
    Thanks Ziggy, I looked and it said it was done but could not find it anywhere.
    edited November 20, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy, I looked and it said it was done but could not find it anywhere.

You can probably find the version number in the "About ..." section of the Capture One menus.

I suggest simply closing the software (after the update) and then re-opening Capture One Pro 8 and see if you can open a Canon 7D Mark II CR2 file. If it opens and displays properly, you should be good-to-go.
    ziggy53
    edited November 20, 2014
    I'm in Heaven Ziggy, took awhile to find it their site is confusing to find specifics. Downloaded, done and did.