Need Advice... Lens Purchase

kennutskennuts Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited November 6, 2014 in Cameras
Hello there.... I wanting to make a big $$ purchase on a prime lens... Nikon's 400mm f/2.8 and noticed there is not too much inventory of this piece(old model) out there. I've been a long time customer of B&H for all of my gear and found that they only have the Imported version in stock (old model has been discontinued). I was told that there is no difference in the Imported version and the USA version, it's the exact same lens... they just differ in warranties. USA has the original 5 yr from Nikon... the Imported has a 1 yr warranty via B&H. Don't know if this matters too much..:dunno. but I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger and order this lens... warranty wise. I do have insurance on all of my gear against breakage, mechanical problems.. etc from a reputable source and this lens would be covered. I have been purchasing Nikon gear for at least 13 yrs now and have never had issues with warranties.. (no problems with the gear). The new version's price increase on this lens sorta puts it out of my price range... too much $$ !

Does anybody have experience with Imported items... any thoughts will be appreciated !

Thanks !!
K P Steib Photography
Nikon D50, D300, D700, D4, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikor TC-20E II 2x, Nikkor TC-1.4, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 GII, Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G, Nikon MB-D10 BP, Nikon SB-600 AF SL, Slick MP, Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Ballhead w/680B Mono

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 6, 2014
    I've purchased a "gray market" lens before. No issues.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • kennutskennuts Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I've purchased a "gray market" lens before. No issues.

Thanks for our input Ian408.. thumb.gifI appreciate it. I'll probably go that route, I'm just a little hesitant when spending big $$ !
    K P Steib Photography
    Nikon D50, D300, D700, D4, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikor TC-20E II 2x, Nikkor TC-1.4, Nikkor 300mm f2.8 GII, Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G, Nikon MB-D10 BP, Nikon SB-600 AF SL, Slick MP, Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Ballhead w/680B Mono
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 6, 2014
    I definitely understand it. My advice would be to buy the USA version if you felt at all uncomfortable. But again, with B&H behind your purchase, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2014
    Is there a 3rd party warranty you could buy? Like Mack?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited November 6, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I definitely understand it. My advice would be to buy the USA version if you felt at all uncomfortable. But again, with B&H behind your purchase, I wouldn't worry about it.

I found the USA version at CC... and they only have one in stock. I was interested but being only one in stock.. sounds like a demo piece. And I would hate to receive this item and finding out it was a demo that was re-packed and sold as a clean item. The only concern I have is with the extra 4 yrs of warranty with the usa version. But like I mentioned... all the years I've bought Nikon gear and never had to file any warranty issues whatsoever... like you mentioned.. with B&H behind me, even if it's for only for one year.. I'm not going to worry about it ! Plus... it's $100 buck cheaper ! Going for it !!

Thanks
    K P Steib Photography
    edited November 6, 2014
    Is there a 3rd party warranty you could buy? Like Mack?

Yeah Jmphotocraft.. I just read through my PPA equipment coverage insurance and mechanical failures, breakage, etc would be covered if I understood it correctly. Looks like I'll go with the imported version... besides I'll save a few bucks also !

Thanks for your reply... I really appreciate it !
    K P Steib Photography