Options

Two Long Exposures of El Capitan

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,454 Major grins
edited December 13, 2014 in Landscapes
I shot the last light on Half Dome and packed up to drove over to Valley View to capture El Capitan (again) before I drove home.
yosemite-112814-55.jpg
5D, 17-40 f/4L, ISO 800, f/8, 30 second

Had a car with their lights on drive into the parking lot and got this..
yosemite-112814-56.jpg
5D, 17-40 f/4L, ISO 3200, f/8, 56 seconds

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    Missing the punch of fall color and crispiness, compared to other shots. Clouds show some movement, but not certain if benefit of long exposure is showing up in the stream. In the area around fallen tree trunk, I can notice noise/graininess....not sure if intentional. Second one has tad more punch. JMO. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Missing the punch of fall color and crispiness, compared to other shots. Clouds show some movement, but not certain if benefit of long exposure is showing up in the stream. In the area around fallen tree trunk, I can notice noise/graininess....not sure if intentional. Second one has tad more punch. JMO. Cheers!

There should be movement, it was a 30 second exposure on the first one and it was about a half hour past sunset. I didn't want to show too much in the trees because it was dark. In fact I did process this lighter (in the shadows), but it just didn't look real to me.

Thanks for looking. thumb.gif
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    There should be movement, it was a 30 second exposure on the first one and it was about a half hour past sunset. I didn't want to show too much in the trees because it was dark. In fact I did process this lighter (in the shadows), but it just didn't look real to me.

Thanks for looking. thumb.gif

I was not suggesting movement shouldn't be there.....I wanted to say that movement in clouds is the only indication of long exposure but not enough water to turn it glassy towards the bottom. Maybe if shadows can be further brought down then graininess and noise will reduce with it. B&W might be other option. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I was not suggesting movement shouldn't be there.....I wanted to say that movement in clouds is the only indication of long exposure but not enough water to turn it glassy towards the bottom. Maybe if shadows can be further brought down then graininess and noise will reduce with it. B&W might be other option. Cheers!

I got it now...Laughing.gif!

As far as the grain, I didn't do anything to reduce it for the web. If I decided to offer this for sale, I can revisit this.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2014
    mooi al had ik dit graag in landscape gezien.
    grt,boco.